Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

There was a guy on the Canon DPR forums with a 30D and he was buying all these L-lenses (70-200mm, 24-70mm) but was always asking
1)Why are my shots blurry?
2)What does f/2.8 give me over f/4?

So after disappearing for awhile, he emerges with a 5D! And he's still asking these questions......

03-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
There was a guy on the Canon DPR forums with a 30D and he was buying all these L-lenses (70-200mm, 24-70mm) but was always asking
1)Why are my shots blurry?
2)What does f/2.8 give me over f/4?

So after disappearing for awhile, he emerges with a 5D! And he's still asking these questions......
It would seem to be that he is forgetting to push the "now take a sharp picture" button that comes with the expensive models.

I wonder if the rich are so frustrated in life that they just HAVE to fritter away their money or whether they are such open faced wooses (sp?) that the camera salesman is laughing in his head saying something like "I've gotta live one here and I'm gonna take him for all I can." Or as Bugs Bunny might say: "What a Maroon!"

Stephen
03-14-2007, 09:28 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
this problem is not distinct to photography. My buddy chris has a 40 handicap in golf and a 2000$ set of clubs.

Back to the topic at hand.
03-25-2007, 03:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Giving Away my K10D for the next BIG thing...

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I love these guys - their ludicrous spending frenzies keep the camera business afloat! Thanks to them I can pick up an amazing 10MP weather sealed Pentax SLR for a measly 500.

Keep it up guys - I mean how else are you going to get a reliable picture of your pet pooch without super-fast AF, 11 frames per second and a 600mm lens? PLEASE BUY MORE!!!
You are so right...As a result, I have decided to give away all of my gear in anticipation of the new next BIG thing that should be out sometime in the future...
In the meanwhile, I have decided to use my trusty 1.3 megapixel Sagem Mobile Phone camera until that time arrives...

03-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
You are so right...As a result, I have decided to give away all of my gear in anticipation of the new next BIG thing that should be out sometime in the future...
In the meanwhile, I have decided to use my trusty 1.3 megapixel Sagem Mobile Phone camera until that time arrives...
Trust me, you'd still end up taking better pictures with that camera than a lot of others with expensive Canikons.

I remember this one time when I was in Cambodia, I saw a group of Japanese shooters toting 1Ds' and D2x's and with big-ass lenses. They had stopped to take a rest and review the pictures they took. I peeked over and saw not-so-good pictures. On the other hand, there was this couple who toted a Panny FZ-20 and took wonderful pictures with it.

But yeah, those pixel-peepers and let's-throw-money-to-fix-the-problem-thinkers did make my K10D possible (great quality, features, and price), so I say to them "Thanks guys! Keep 'em coming!"
03-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Not about photography but in the same vein:
Many years ago I was in the showroom of a company that sells woodworking tools & equipment. They had some beautiful woodworking power tools on the floor -table saw, jointer/planer, band saw- made by a Swiss company (Inca?), that looked they were made by a jeweler and were very, very expensive. As I was standing there drooling (I had, and still do, a Sears table saw), the salesman came over and asked what I thought of them. I made some kind of smartass response about Maseratis and then asked him who buys these things. He laughed and said "doctors who think that they want to do woodworking; they get them home, turn them on once, get scared and never use them again".
Not meant to insult any doctors reading this (you can substitute any other group that in those years were infamous for disposable income) but analagous to this thread.
03-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scg Quote
It would seem to be that he is forgetting to push the "now take a sharp picture" button that comes with the expensive models.
Now that's funny. Why doesn't Pentax come up with one of those.

I agree it's totally about knowing your equipment, and how to use it, rather than if it's the newest/biggest/most expensive/etc. The box itself, is just that, a box, until you get someone standing behind it capturing a vision.
03-26-2007, 05:49 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
It must be the mood I am in today...I am so disgusted by some people who can afford to buy a 'Blad and a Leaf digital back, or a Canon 1DS Mkll or what ever. They honestly think that as a result of that purchase they can say that they have talent...Pretty scary stuff. Makes me want to vomit. You know..Terry Richardson does most of his stuff on a 75$ canon fixed focal length camera and I tell you...He can shoots circles around those "photographers" with one eye poked out and a wheelchair. No...Both eyes poked out. Now the fact that he gets somewhere around 25K$ per day would afford him the opportunity to get what ever gear he wants. He wants that camera...It is HIS LOOK...HIS STYLE. That is why he is Terry Richardson.
Speaking of MF backs, my friend John Manno in New York bought a Kodak DCS14 for his RZ some years ago. It was on a three year payment plan.

A year and a half later, the big ad agencies (his studio is one block from Madison Avenue) decided that 14 megapixels wasn't enough, they wanted him to use the 22 megapixel Leaf back. He called me to warn me to rent a back, not buy one!

So, now he has a $15,000.00 paperweight on his desk.

What gets me, is that they're printing on an offset press through maybe a 200 line screen. What exactly are they doing with all those megapixels?

I show up with my Pentax small cameras, and get a lecture from Johnny about bit depth and dynamic range. What is the final output, anyway?

He did convince me to archive in Pro Photo RGB, in case anything can display (or anyone can see) such a huge range of colors.

But I'm not forking out $30,000.00 for a digital back for my RB. My clients are mostly satisfied with 6 megapixel APS-C sensors, and even the critical ones seem to be happy with the images from the K10D. The RB is getting a well-deserved rest!

03-28-2007, 04:10 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Painfull

QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
Speaking of MF backs, my friend John Manno in New York bought a Kodak DCS14 for his RZ some years ago. It was on a three year payment plan.

A year and a half later, the big ad agencies (his studio is one block from Madison Avenue) decided that 14 megapixels wasn't enough, they wanted him to use the 22 megapixel Leaf back. He called me to warn me to rent a back, not buy one!

So, now he has a $15,000.00 paperweight on his desk.

What gets me, is that they're printing on an offset press through maybe a 200 line screen. What exactly are they doing with all those megapixels?

I show up with my Pentax small cameras, and get a lecture from Johnny about bit depth and dynamic range. What is the final output, anyway?

He did convince me to archive in Pro Photo RGB, in case anything can display (or anyone can see) such a huge range of colors.

But I'm not forking out $30,000.00 for a digital back for my RB. My clients are mostly satisfied with 6 megapixel APS-C sensors, and even the critical ones seem to be happy with the images from the K10D. The RB is getting a well-deserved rest!

Like I said in an earlier post. Digital cameras' are very, very expensive "DISPOSABLE" Cameras'. Invest in good glass as you will probably want to change the body every three years or so..Yeah, they have got us my the proverbial "B--LS". It's a vicious circle. None the less, I would never invest in an expensive digital back. The client rents what is needed for a production and I just take the picture.