Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2022, 08:13 AM   #46

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who spent their time and thoughts on this matter. I have learned a lot especially about the Pentax lineup from between my K-x and now. I had never really considered cameras like the K-3 or the KP before. Hopefully also this thread is a resource to others with the same questions.

Since I put out some feelers around I was granted an opportunity to loan a Nikon D7200 with a fast lens for free for a while. So it is a no-brainer to try this out, even though abit nervous to admit this betrayal on a Pentax forum...
I am curious to see what the result will be but already I realize what a big upgrade it is from my K-x, already seen the benefits of twice the resolution and far better iso performance (something a Pentax upgrade also will do of course!). I wonder why I didn't upgrade sooner.

Last edited by daniekr; 02-18-2022 at 08:26 AM.
02-18-2022, 04:22 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The D7200 is a fine camera. Like the 24mp series of Pentax models, it would definitely be a big upgrade from your K-x in terms of build quality, controls, ISO, and resolution capability. However, Pentax has in-body shake reduction instead of having it in each individual lens. Therefore, even lenses from a previous era can be affixed to a Pentax DSLR body and will still have this advantage, even lenses made before SR was available. Many of the more modern Pentax lenses offer WR (weather resistant) construction. Even basic kit lenses, and basic but even more useful, better-built, yet still moderately-priced lenses such as the very versatile (and very good) DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 WR. Even very good Pentax telephoto zoom lenses are available at moderate cost with WR construction. There are two such available in the more extended 55-300mm range. With Nikon, if seeking a lens having weather seals, you'll be shopping in the $1,000 range or more. Camera bodies having WR, like the Nikon D7200, are not actively WR unless having a WR lens installed- something to keep in mind.

Pentax offers other advantages as well in their special, useful features and controls, such as the unique Pentax Hyper System, which a dpreview review thought pure genius . If you are shooting in P (Program) mode (which I often do for general shooting under changing lighting conditions such as passing clouds or when panning where backgrounds change, etc), and you find yourself facing a point where you'd rather have a different aperture or shutter speed than what the camera has chosen, you simply use the front finger or rear thumb dials to go ahead and select your choice, and the camera will instantly obey! It will essentially instantly shift to Av or Tv operation as you wish, without having to first employ the mode dial to change modes before making your selection. A touch of the green button will instantly reinstate fully automated P operation. For making such changes on the fly, Pentax DSLRs are the fastest gun in the West- or anywhere else! Your K-x, as a basic economy model, was not designed with this feature.

The other part of this system is Hyper Manual. Your K-x might have this part. In Manual mode, instead of having to twirl the dials to set aperture and shutter speed according to the camera's light meter readings, you can simply hit the green button to get an instant meter-centered exposure setting. If you don't like either the aperture or shutter speed that has been selected, hit the AE-L button to freeze this exposure value, then go ahead and change either, and the other will follow along to preserve that exposure value. Very fast and efficient. It is also great for taking spot meter readings around a scene.

One more thing- with all current models and every model since the K-5 IIs (the first Pentax to do so), the AA filter has been removed- the meaning of the "s" with this camera to distinguish it from the other otherwise identical K-5 II. This filter reduces the effects of moire when present (which isn't very often) but does so by smearing this abnormality to make it less visible. But it also has a slight smearing effect on the fine detail present in many images. I noticed upon obtaining my K-5 IIs, it could often reveal fine detail in images for better overall image quality than my original K-5, which has the AA filter. Nikon makes certain designated models without this filter. All Pentax DSLRs since the K-5 IIs have a different AA filter system that can be switched on if needed. Pentax is the only brand I know of that has such a feature.

Other camera makes have their advantages, so I understand why some prefer one or another, but I like what I get from Pentax.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-18-2022 at 05:52 PM.
02-18-2022, 07:39 PM   #48
Veteran Member

For sports I would not worry about a lack of shake reduction. With the high shutter speed it really isn't needed. It may be detrimental when panning.

I don't know specifics with Nikon lenses. But used 70-200 f2.8, long primes and variations of the bigma seem more common and less expensive than our offerings
02-19-2022, 02:15 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

True that shooting with very high shutter speeds will probably make SR superfluous, and unnecessary if one only shoots sports and/or always with such high shutter speeds. Different sports have different requirements. If I shoot indoor roller hockey, for instance, I will need a zoom lens having a large aperture to provide me with very high shutter speeds in such lighting, as well as using higher ISO. But If I shoot a wrestling competition under similar lighting, I don't need such a fast lens, being able to use some fill flash and with much more moderate shutter speeds, as I like to show some blur of arms or legs to depict motion. I get good results for this with around 1/90 to 1/125 sec.

02-20-2022, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

I was trying to keep the focus on the OP who shoots soccer. The potential lack of shake reduction on the 7200 should not be a reason to avoid accepting the offer.

I agree that in body shake reduction has a lot of other use cases
02-20-2022, 04:29 AM   #51
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I was trying to keep the focus on the OP who shoots soccer. The potential lack of shake reduction on the 7200 should not be a reason to avoid accepting the offer.

I agree that in body shake reduction has a lot of other use cases
I think the OP is lucky that someone loaned equipment and there is no reason to worry about it

Thr Op can only gain from the experience

Whether the OP [ correctly ] then choses Pentax instead of the competing system is his decision

I wish him good luck

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-20-2022 at 07:12 AM.