Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2022, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

When making changes I think you need to account for the trade off. I think you can pick 1 of these 4
New ovf
Flippy screen
Gps
Pop up flash

I really wanted the GPS, but now I have the external one so that want has been met. I have an external flash so no need there. Flippy screen vs ovf. I rarely use live view on my KP or k3. I don't use the Flippy screen on the KP that much. So I guess I would like the new ovf over the options.

My phone can also be used as a remote screen which satisfies some of the missing flippy. Although that is a somewhat a pain

03-03-2022, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
My phone can also be used as a remote screen which satisfies some of the missing flippy. Although that is a somewhat a pain
An earlier post showed a mount for your phone that uses the hot shoe. It seems like a reasonable option for those times you need a different angle. A bit less easy than tilting the screen but better than juggling both devices.
03-04-2022, 07:43 PM   #63

Photos: Gallery
The only thing I'd like to be different would be the behaviour of af point overlay in the viewfinder. I'd like the af point where the af is on to be highlighted in red instead of black as it is. That's pretty much it, coming from an ist Ds, then kx then k70 everything that I found annoying is gone. I love the viewfinder and the shutter, the grip fit my hand very well, lots of customization. I wasn't sure about the usb charging at first but as my cellphone and many device share this connection it's pretty useful, and you can use it to charge and transfer data to you computer.
03-05-2022, 02:31 AM - 2 Likes   #64
Pentaxian

Interesting what some people consider design issues. There are features and there is design of features or implementations. Flippy screen is not a design question, gps is not a design question, tiny flash is not a design question, …

03-05-2022, 11:04 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Interesting what some people consider design issues. There are features and there is design of features or implementations. Flippy screen is not a design question, gps is not a design question, tiny flash is not a design question, …
I don't think it's productive to focus on minor differences in terminology, but I'd guess most people would consider the inclusion or not of a screen, flash, or gps a design issue, and the implementation of the elements ultimately included in the design an engineering issue.
03-05-2022, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whatever the shortcomings we might perceive in the K-3iii, as the owner of a good number of Pentax DSLRs, it seems to me that the K-3iii represents a major step up on its predecessors. If those shortcomings had been rectified in the K-3iii, we’d probably have had a bigger and pricier camera, and that might have sunk the entire project.

Now that Image Sync has been updated to make GPS data transfer easy and reliable, the only significant possible improvement I find outstanding is a movable rear screen. Focus-stacking in-camera would be nice, as would automated lens AF adjustment, but these, like Astrotracer may possibly be available in a firmware update at some point.

More likely is that a lot of the K-3iii shortcomings noted above will be addressed in the next K-1 version, and a replacement for the K-3iii won’t appear for at least three years.
03-06-2022, 03:32 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
What would you have done differently on the new K-3 III ?. ...
I would not have bought it.

Turns out.... that a K1 (or 2) and a Kp is all I will most likely need for the next 10 years or so.

03-06-2022, 05:53 AM - 2 Likes   #68

QuoteQuote:
Turns out.... that a K1 (or 2) and a Kp is all I will most likely need for the next 10 years or so.
That's one of the reasons I like pentax. My k70 lasted 5 years before it had a solenoid issue. The k70 is still sold by pentax and still offering a lot for the price as they allready offered a very good sensor back then ( wich is still as good today ) and that's why I was confident that buying a k3iii would not be a bad idea. The camera feels really solid, the ovf is so nice, and I'm really surprised with what ricoh/pentax is doing with the firmware update, I don't recall having such new feature added after the launch ( GPS free Astrotacer ). I don't feel I will need to change my camera for a long time.
Fujifilm/ canon/ nikon/ makes really great camera but the continuous minor upgrade would bother me as it feel like it reduce the value of the previous model every time ( some do better like the x-pro line ).
03-27-2022, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I don't think it's productive to focus on minor differences in terminology, but I'd guess most people would consider the inclusion or not of a screen, flash, or gps a design issue, and the implementation of the elements ultimately included in the design an engineering issue.
All these are features that require hardware and software, significantly increasing development time, complexity and cost. We just list nice to haves here with little insight on other priorities. Compromises are necessary.
A flippy screen makes the camera fatter, the viewfinder would be more difficult to reach… finder or screen?
GPS inside. Hm, metal housing makes reception difficult, it does not work indoors, it takes time to connect, it requires power… use an external device if you really want it.
Pentax took great attention towards tiny details, they did not forget or overlook gps, screen, … and other features. Maybe they talk about the things the dropped from the feature list at some point.
03-28-2022, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
All these are features that require hardware and software, significantly increasing development time, complexity and cost. We just list nice to haves here with little insight on other priorities. Compromises are necessary.
A flippy screen makes the camera fatter, the viewfinder would be more difficult to reach… finder or screen?
GPS inside. Hm, metal housing makes reception difficult, it does not work indoors, it takes time to connect, it requires power… use an external device if you really want it.
Pentax took great attention towards tiny details, they did not forget or overlook gps, screen, … and other features. Maybe they talk about the things the dropped from the feature list at some point.
I was only addressing whether the inclusion or exclusion of features was a matter of design or engineering.