Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2022, 05:30 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I don't know if you visit gear-related forums other than PF, but if so you may have noticed an increasing number of folks ceding their control of and responsibility for their photographic vision to their cameras.
Of course I have noticed this---and it's not new. I think it started (or kicked up into 3rd gear) with the Minolta Maxxum, although in those days nearly all makers were falling all over themselves to automate whatever they could. And you know what? Most folks relying on automationare producing more wonderful photographs than they ever could have back in the '70's or '80's. More power to them. What good is it if you struggle away in manual and don't wind up making a good image? No one gives a rat's patootie that you worked hard for it.

But that's also why wonderful photographs---which used to be rarities---are now ubiquitous. That's one reason it's so doggone hard to stand out from the pack; it's now so much easier to get very fine shots.

02-18-2022, 05:58 PM - 4 Likes   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You're not alone. Quite often the youtubers doing the talking don't know what they're talking about.
are you referring to snappy who created the video? He seems like a very humble person in his videos and his posting on this site. He never comes across as a know it all.
02-18-2022, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
It’s YouTube: nobody fact-checks before releasing a video.
To be fair, the first time I had AF that worked was my Fuji X-Pro1.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 02-19-2022 at 08:28 AM.
02-18-2022, 06:12 PM   #34
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
are you referring to snappy who created the video? He seems like a very humble person in his videos and his posting on this site. He never comes across as a know it all.
No, not referring to anyone in particular.

02-18-2022, 06:34 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
the first time I has AF that worked was my Fuji X-Pro1.
VERY slowly,especially with those early slow motored lenses!
02-19-2022, 07:59 PM   #36

I have recently spent some time shooting more BIF with my k3mki and while it is acknowledged that Pentax af-c is not as good as milc or most other DSLR's, I'm getting a decent keeper rate.

As has been mentioned, getting to know your camera, your subjects behaviour and bring some smooth tracking skill yourself and you'll get surprisingly good results.

Not known for subjects that come head on to the camera but pretty good at panning diagonal and even going in and out of trees etc.

The more you practise and keep those centre 9 points on your subject the better.
02-20-2022, 04:05 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^^^^
This is what it think show the best misunderstanding between Pentaxians and others. It should not be the case of practice, learning and so. If you have AF-C you expect it to work. Not to learn around shortcomings or fight with algorythms trying to focus on something else.

In MILC AF-C simply works and gets better with subject recognition etc. In DSLR it depends. In most Pentax cameras expecting it to work properly is like being Hitler in 1945 and expecting counteroffensive to defeat Russians. Not gonna happen. K-3 Mk III is first Pentax DSLR that has AF-C working on pair with competition including MILC cameras and while subject recognition is not on pair with MILC (and probably never will be) it is still giant leap forward.

02-22-2022, 08:39 AM - 2 Likes   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I recently read some comments about a video about the Pentax K3 mark III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYkmUeusVvs

One of the comments , from a Pentax user who also now use Fuji wrote a comment about Pentax (not the exact comment) such as:
"with Fuji you don't have to care about auto-focus, everything works seamlessly"
"with Pentax you have to take care of the auto-focus" (doesn't work on its own?)
"the mirrorless hype is no hype, it IS a huge advantage"

I don't understand that, I've tried Fuji, I use Pentax (K1) and very seldom have an issue with AF-S.

Generally, I press the shutter button (half or full), the camera focuses, lock focus and take the shot, I don't have to care about it, it just works.

So I really don't know what people are talking about.
Back button focusing with the K-5, K-5II, K-3, and the K-1 makes focusing more reliable for me. I never use the actual shutter button to get my focus, only to take the shot. But that's just my preference and my opinion.
02-22-2022, 09:36 AM   #39
Veteran Member

To be fair, the first time I had AF that worked was my Fuji X-Pro1.
Of all the fujis I own, it has to be the worst, and it doesn't matter I loved the camera, but it is not one i would take to an event that required speed. I don't have the XT4 I have heard through the spray and pray youtube brigade it is an improvement on my XH! (and my X100v may be close to it) I never worried about it for many things snappy accurate AF is definitely a nice feature, and I would say at the time I made my move I noticed an improvement even on the XT1 but nothing dramatic, and in fact not as good as theK1 I sampled. Fuji won me over with the Colour Science and the excellent EVF (and the hybrid in the X100 and Xpro line which i truly love fro street shooting - I wish they would replace my GFX50R with a unit with that TEch. all that said I shoot my GFX now more than X and it is a much slower AF than XT$ or the Flacgships out there, doesn't matter for medium format if is pretty fantastic. and I have no issues manually focussing on the huge EVF on it. Could I flip back to Pentax? I actually almost did when i moved up to Medium format but I have become a mirrorless fan. Would I be happy with top-notch Limited lenses and 2.8 zooms and a K1 with K3iii as a backup absolutely, they are both killer cameras and the Pentax lenses are excellent? Could I be happy with Canon? nope ergonomically I hate them and hate the menus. Nikon, I could probably be happy (particularly the stupidly expensive Z9 that i tried at my dealer not long back ) but I see no point in changing, I was with Pentax for decades and when I tried fuji the ergonomics and colour science won me over . the lenses as well 231.4 and 56 1.2 at the time were 2 of the nicest lenses I ever used (and that included the limited which i still think of as some of the best-designed lenses) . If like when i made the leap in 2014 I had a break in and had most of my gear stolen I may change but no point now it does everything I need and more. If I shot Video more I would likely upgrade my XH1 to the looming XH2 which is rumoured to be a video workhorse., but I don't even care that the GFX 50R and 50Sii are only 1080p
02-22-2022, 09:53 AM - 5 Likes   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are two kinds of camera users—those concerned about their image, and those concerned about their images.

Last edited by Shupienis; 02-22-2022 at 10:08 AM.
02-22-2022, 10:49 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Of all the fujis I own, it has to be the worst,
That speaks volumes to how bad Pentax AF was at the time.
02-22-2022, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #42

I recently read some comments about a video about the Pentax K3 mark III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYkmUeusVvs

One of the comments , from a Pentax user who also now use Fuji wrote a comment about Pentax (not the exact comment) such as:
"with Fuji you don't have to care about auto-focus, everything works seamlessly"
"with Pentax you have to take care of the auto-focus" (doesn't work on its own?)

I don't understand that, I've tried Fuji, I use Pentax (K1) and very seldom have an issue with AF-S.

Generally, I press the shutter button (half or full), the camera focuses, lock focus and take the shot, I don't have to care about it, it just works.

So I really don't know what people are talking about.
On mirrorless Systems, Fuji, Sony, just set AF-C and tracking with spot Focus and all will be done automaticly. No need to think or follow the subject or even use AF-S. That is the difference, on Pentax Tracking does not work good at all, not even on K3lll. But AFS, spot no problem. I use K1-ll and Sony A7IV, sold K3III just becsuse of tracking issues. But for all not moving subject K1-ll is the King in IQ, colors, exposure etc. In AF and tracking mirrorless rules. Two different systems working different and with plus and minus on both.
02-22-2022, 10:56 AM   #43
Veteran Member

That speaks volumes to how bad Pentax AF was at the time.

and I was moving from a K7 so I was used to bad
02-22-2022, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, we have a reasonable YouTube presentation that attracted comments from a Pentax/Fuji shooter. While exclaiming how good the X-T4 is for their purpose, the commentator doesn't say much about any of the negatives.

The X-T4 is a commendable camera, for sure, but even a quick online search would reveal numerous issues. Here are several that I found earlier when I was interested casually in the X-T4. These are not pervasive problems, but also not just one-off comments from users. They're not necessarily show-stoppers for potential buyers, but things to be aware of.
  • Too-small hand grip that can cause discomfort, especially with larger lenses
  • Disappointment with the build quality
  • Mushy shutter button
  • Problems with the battery grip connection
  • Autofocus issues
  • AF issues with certain wide-angle lenses
  • Mechanical build quality of some lenses
  • Problems induced by at least one firmware update (lost images on SD card; camera freezing).
Looking at the relative costs of the cameras and comparable lens kits would reveal interesting findings -- an X-T4 kit is not necessarily cheaper than a K-3 Mark III kit and could be $1,000-2,000 more. Despite the seemingly relative high price of the K-3 Mark III camera, an overall kit could be quite a bit less expensive than a similar one based on the X-T4.

The Fuji is heavier with certain lens or focal-length combinations (e.g., DA* 50-135, XF 50-140mm). Fujifilm offers numerous excellent, lightweight prime lenses, but longer focal lengths are compromised in weight or maximum aperture.

So, the message for myself is to not put too much weight or credence on one person's anecdotal evidence.

- Craig
02-22-2022, 11:24 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I don't know if you visit gear-related forums other than PF, but if so you may have noticed an increasing number of folks ceding their control of and responsibility for their photographic vision to their cameras.
Photographers have probably been saying the same thing to each other since long before the web and forums came along.