Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How do you download?
Remove the SD card and plug it directly into my computer (or via adaptor) 11879.73%
I use the USB connection and turn on the camera 3020.27%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2008, 06:26 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
... but once I got SDHC cards, I found out that the built-in card reader didn't support them.
My Toshiba laptop's card slot at first didn't read SDHC, after I installed a patch from Microsoft it works fine. Not sure if it would do same for your laptop but if you're interested I can find that link for you.

12-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I work with RAW on a K20D so large PEF files: 13-18MB/shot. Cable is too slow.

With a cheap reader & Apacer class 6 SDHC cards I get 12.5 MB/s. 4,063 MB (3.96 GB) of large VOB files takes 5m 25s.

Based on the above figures, transferring 100 photos should take about 125s. Due to the file-system overhead involved with handling lots of "small" files, it will take a bit longer than the "large" files estimate.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 12-13-2008 at 02:57 PM.
12-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Another test. 5.01GB (2^30) transfer of 491 K100DS PEF files. Avg. size 10.4 MB (2^20). Card reader to PC took 6m 25s. That's 13.3 MB/s.

Dan.
12-14-2008, 04:34 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by laissezfaire Quote
How do you download considering speed and wear/tear.
I used the USB cord on my IR converted K100D, then forgot to unplug it. When I picked up the camera, the cord pulled the camera out of my hand and the fall damaged the USB socket.

I now have a card reader which I have to use with the K100D and choose to use with my K20D.

A very painful lesson.

12-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #35
Veteran Member

USB makes sense to me...

Always use the USB. Just tested downloading 24 RAW files; the card method is about 35% faster, but that only amounts to about 20 seconds on my system.

However, when you take a look at your card you may see some smuding and/or discoloration on the contacts caused by sliding repeatedly over the pickup contacts in the camera, or card reader. It's not likely, but I can't see saving a few seconds but running the risk of degrading/ damaging/ dirtying the card contacts and the possible loss of data.

Brian
12-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #36

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
My Toshiba laptop's card slot at first didn't read SDHC, after I installed a patch from Microsoft it works fine. Not sure if it would do same for your laptop but if you're interested I can find that link for you.
There are 2 reasons a card reader won't read a HC card.

1). If the card reader is HC capable but your operating system is an older version, the update you mention will work.

2). If the card reader is not HD compatiable, there is no software up date in the world that will make it work, and the reader will have to be replaced.
12-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Damage from removing / replacing card? NO

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Always use the USB. Just tested downloading 24 RAW files; the card method is about 35% faster, but that only amounts to about 20 seconds on my system.

However, when you take a look at your card you may see some smuding and/or discoloration on the contacts caused by sliding repeatedly over the pickup contacts in the camera, or card reader. It's not likely, but I can't see saving a few seconds but running the risk of degrading/ damaging/ dirtying the card contacts and the possible loss of data.

Brian
As an experienced IT person, removing and replacing a card or connection is one of the first things to do when transfer rates and/or reliability start to look off normal. One should turn off equipment first, of course, to prevent any chance of affecting the hardware adversely.
12-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Thanks for the offer, but I'm happy with using MicroMate readers. And I think there is a chance as Tom.S says, that my inbuilt card reader's hardware is not SDHC compatible.

12-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by laissezfaire Quote
How do you download considering speed and wear/tear.
remove my 8GB Sandisk Extreme III SDHC and plug into Sandisk Extreme SDHC USB reader ~18MB/s transfer and 2GB A-DATA x150 SDHC ~17MB/s
12-15-2008, 12:20 AM   #40
PDL
Pentaxian

Yes - Yes I do

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
You burn every image you upload to your computer onto a DVD? Without even looking at them on the computer? Do you delete by review on the camera LCD previous to uploading. Maybe every photo you take is a keeper?

btw, I have a Wolverine too and I love it.
Yes - I burn every image onto DVD's. This thread is about loading images - not editing. Disk and DVD's are cheap - so I am out nothing.

I come from the old slide film days, once I take an image I rarely look at it until I am at my editing spot - which is after I have transferred everything to the PC. That said, I do look at images to judge some of them quickly - usually when conditions warrant, but even that is almost immediately - since deleting images later can lead to SD card storage issues and file fragmentation --- read bad ju-ju.

When I am in the field – I do not have my laptop (which since I had to buy a new one – reads SDHC cards), that is what the Wolverine is for. Add into that I have at a minimum 3 4GB and 1 16GB card(s) with me “in the bag”. If I edited those images – I would burn up the battery on trivial stuff.

I am a pack rat from the get-go. Yes, I copy everything – editing is an act unto itself – best left to dedicated time and effort rather than quick and sometimes regrettable impulse reactions. Besides the viewing capabilities of the LCD on the camera are limited to the extreme – I do not make decisions based on little tiny clunky chunky screens.

Back on topic – I have never connected any of my Pentax cameras to my PC directly. My first digital camera required it – and the batteries lasted about 30 minutes max. I bought a reader within a week of getting the camera – I have never looked back.

The Elitist – formerly known as PDL.
12-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One of my laptops reads my 8 and 16g cards, and one doesn't. However, the USB 2.0 reader that came with one of the cards is much easier to carry around than the camera's USB cable, and easier to replace if I lose it. I don't see much difference in copy speeds between the built-in reader and USB 2.