Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How do you download?
Remove the SD card and plug it directly into my computer (or via adaptor) 11879.73%
I use the USB connection and turn on the camera 3020.27%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I used to use the Sandisk Ultra II plus, with the built in USB port, and never plugged the camera into the computer. I had always heard plugging the camera in was the slowest way of transfering, and that way you do'nt have to have your camera sitting turned on using up batteries. Since upgradin to bigger, but non USB cards, I'm plugging in until I find a card reader I like. I can't comment on the speed difference as my Ultra II plus was 1GB and my new cards are 8GB so it's going to be longer no matter what I do, but last time I did a transfer, I started it and wondered away, when I came back, both the batteries in my K10D were completely dead from being left on so long.

12-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #17
Inactive Account

#1 for me now.

There is the third method that is coming just around the corner.
Downloading pics wirelessly with a special SD card. I don't recall the name of the brand.
These cards are expensive now but will be affordable soon, and I imagine this is going to be the default method for many shooters in the future.
Why bother with cables and card readers?
12-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

It's difficult for me to imagine why anyone would choose the USB method. Slower, more limiting in softare options, wastes batteries, much more fiddly, etc. I remember someone saying they do this because they'd otherwise be afraid of leaving the card in the reader, but:

a) don't you have a spare in your bag?
b) if you're that worried about forgetting the card, just leave the SD slot door open
12-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #19

I have a couple of Olympus C5050's that take CF cards. With those I usually connect the camera to the computer, mainly because I've always been a little nervous lining up those little holes with the little metal pins. But I use a Sandisk card reader for the SD cards. No tiny or prongs. I'm glad that Pentax went the SD route.

Richard

12-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
USB-cable. Plug it in and the camera pops up as a drive. Why hassle with a separate card reader?
agreed, also use of USB cable limits the amount of wear on camera SD card door mech & drive mech.
12-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Castleman Quote
I also use the SanDisk card reader. If I only have a few images I may use the USB cable but when it comes to getting 400+ DNG images off the camera the card reader is much faster.
That's what I thought too. So I got myself and nice sandisk reader and plugged it in. Boy was it a letdown when the transfer speeds were almost identical to the usb cable straight from the camera...
12-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ta131js Quote
#1 for me now.

There is the third method that is coming just around the corner.
Downloading pics wirelessly with a special SD card. I don't recall the name of the brand.
These cards are expensive now but will be affordable soon, and I imagine this is going to be the default method for many shooters in the future.
Why bother with cables and card readers?

This is a good point. When those prices come down, I think I will switch as well.

12-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunneruk Quote
agreed, also use of USB cable limits the amount of wear on camera SD card door mech & drive mech.

The wear and tear potential was what made me think about constantly removing the card and pressing on the spring lock. Having said that, I can't see any evidence of anyone here that has had a failed SD card slot.
12-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Aye me too, cards out, into SanDisk MicroMate reader, for me quick & simple as cards already out of the camera at end of shoot anyway.
12-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a couple of instances where *something* happened when I took the SD card of my old K100D and plugged the card into a third party reader. The images were fine in the camera, and then the reader gave me file errors, eventually leading to rescue software and other tears. I've had similar instances when an SDHC card was mistakenly placed in a standard SD reader device....errors and data loss.

Yeah, slower and not very hip, but I KNOW I can get the images off the camera with the USB cable ... I can spare a couple of minutes.

Good question!

germar
12-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I always remove the card.

downloading through the cable is a waste of battery power and time (usb 1.1)
With the D I believe (been years) the camera will stay on, completely discharging the batteries. Not sure about the other models and would be curious as to know if they auto shutoff when tethered.......
12-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
I'm surprised not many laptop users here. Most laptops nowadays have a built-in card reader, can't beat such convenience.
I use a laptop as my main PC. Its got a card reader and I used to use it back when all I had were 2GB cards, but once I got SDHC cards, I found out that the built-in card reader didn't support them. That's when I started to use the Sandisk MicroMate readers, and it turns out that they're a lot faster than the built-in card reader.
12-13-2008, 05:18 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Before I got a Sandisk Ultra II plus with a fold out USB connector, I used the USB cable.

My laptop doesn't have SD card slots and I hate card readers. Another bulky part you have to keep somewhere and I have one whose transfer rate is way slower than using the USB cable with the camera.

Now with the SD card with the fold out USB connector, I just pop the card into a regular USB slot, save some camera battery lifetime and it is unbelievably quicker.
12-13-2008, 05:44 AM   #29
Inactive Account

It all depends on which cards I use. I have 6 1gb cards from when I first started to use my DL and I have 8 2gb cards that I used in the K100 to start with, but I have upgraded to 4 and 8gb cards which I really enjoy using in the K100. So if my wife uses the DL there is always a 2gb card used and I slide it into the 2.0 card reader on the computer. Now that I always use either a 4gb or 8gb card in the K100 I use a USB Scandisk card reader and plug it into a USB port on the computer.
For the most part the readers are faster to download then using the readers on the computer. Besides the computer readers won't take the 4 and 8gb cards.
I have never used the plug in from the camera because it takes to much battery power and hooking up the camera and the power adapter takes to much time, (First I have to remember where I put them. (I guess the only time I really plug the camera and power adapter in is to Upgrade the firmware.)

If you really want to get into it, there won't be that many computer makers putting card readers into their computers anymore because they will be outdated with the new cards being used. Lately you can buy the new 4, 8, 16, 32, and the newest 64gb cards with a reader and card all in one package, and these readers along with faster cards are way better than the 15 port card readers that the makers put into the computers.
12-13-2008, 06:18 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sd card slot on laptop and desktop both. Laptop for convenience of "portability" (17"). Desktop with internal and external HDD for data backup.

Cheers.
Mike.