Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How do you download?
Remove the SD card and plug it directly into my computer (or via adaptor) 11879.73%
I use the USB connection and turn on the camera 3020.27%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #1

Download: Remove SD card or plug in USB connection?

How do you download considering speed and wear/tear.

12-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use Sandisk MicroMate SDHC Card readers to get photos from camera to PC. They came with my 4GB Sandisk Ultra IIs when I bought them, and I've got three floating around. It's probably easier that way for me, because I'll usually have shots on multiple SD cards, and I don't want to have to plug each one back into the camera just to download the photos to PC.

And I've never really thought about wear and tear when it comes to this, though I have faith in the SD card compartment door and the whole SD card reading module.
12-11-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Eeek. I haven't plugged my camera in to upload photos to my computer since I used the old Sony Mavica CD400. That was over 4 1/2 years ago.
12-12-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I used a multi card reader to read from my cards ... much easier ... I think it is quicker as well than reading it from the camera as well.

Saves camera battery power as well.

12-12-2008, 12:35 AM   #5
PDL
Pentaxian

Neither one.

Remove SD card from camera and lock it.
Put SD card in Wolverine portable HD and copy to HD - leave SD card locked.
Attach Wolverine to PC running RAID 1 disk array and copy images to disk.
Burn DVD archive of newly copied folder.
Unlock SD card.

I have rarely loaded a locked SD card into either my laptop (with SDHC built in reader) or a SDHC capable card reader into my main PC. Do this once in a great while.

Sorry, can't vote - not enough options. I do what I have to do - although I have NEVER attached my camera directly to my PC. I never intend to do so - since I do not carry my computer around with me - I have at least 16GB of SD cards with me at any given time (not including my new 16GB SDHC card). I do not need to attach my camera to my PC - would take too long, I should be taking images - not downloading to a PC.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-12-2008, 12:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Neither one.

Unlock SD card.

I have rarely loaded a locked SD card into either my laptop (with SDHC built in reader) or a SDHC capable card reader into my main PC. Do this once in a great while.

Sorry, can't vote - not enough options. I do what I have to do - although I have NEVER attached my camera directly to my PC. I never intend to do so - since I do not carry my computer around with me - I have at least 16GB of SD cards with me at any given time (not including my new 16GB SDHC card). I do not need to attach my camera to my PC - would take too long, I should be taking images - not downloading to a PC.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
You burn every image you upload to your computer onto a DVD? Without even looking at them on the computer? Do you delete by review on the camera LCD previous to uploading. Maybe every photo you take is a keeper?

btw, I have a Wolverine too and I love it.
12-12-2008, 01:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Both methods.

12-12-2008, 06:05 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Unlock SD card.
I use IDimager as my DAM software. It has a built in downloader. When copying from my SD(HC) card, it will copy the files, then verify that the copy was made correctly, then remove it from the source (removing is of course an option). For backing up, it has the ability to copy the file to a backup directory in addition to my main photo store, but I do not use this option. I go through my photos only keeping the good ones. Then on a nightly basis my computer is backed up. Further, my brother is into photography, so on a nightly basis our backup drive is synced over the Internet, so I am an offsite storage for him and he for me. Thus, if anything were to ever happen to my computer or house, I would still have all my photos.

I feel that's a pretty safe way of doing things. I do intend on backing up all my photos on a few DVD's and putting a copy at my parents house as well, but have not gotten around to that as it's really not that urgent.

Jeremy
12-12-2008, 06:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm surprised not many laptop users here. Most laptops nowadays have a built-in card reader, can't beat such convenience.
12-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

USB-cable. Plug it in and the camera pops up as a drive. Why hassle with a separate card reader?
12-12-2008, 06:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I keep the USB cable plugged in to the computer, so it's not a hassle to plug in my camera. I tried to take my K100 without unplugging it once. But only once!

The only real hassle is unmounting the card before I unplug, but this is something I'd run into with either method.

I recently got an SDHC-plus card, that folds to reveal a usb port. I'd use that in a pinch, but I figure the less I mess with the cards the better. Kinda freaks me out that they're so small to begin with!
12-12-2008, 06:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Always use card reader. Can't imagine taking card out of camera and placing in reader is a bigger hassel than trying to plug that darn little fragile usb into the side of the camera. Its not even easy to see which way usb connector has to be turned to fit. Guess you could delegate one Pentax K20D to the computer as a card reader, leaving it always hooked up! Wouldn't Pentax love that idea.

Thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #13 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #14! Enter now.
12-12-2008, 08:03 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Eeek. I haven't plugged my camera in to upload photos to my computer since I used the old Sony Mavica CD400. That was over 4 1/2 years ago.
Ugh,
I had to plug in the first digcam I ever owned,a crappy old Vivitar that didn't even have a LCD screen on the back of it,might as well had a film camera when shooting instead since I couldn't see my results until I got home.My first computer with Windows 95 didn't even have a USB slot. 13 years ago seems soooooooooo long ago. BTW, the Vivitar make a nice paperweight (cheap Christmas gift idea )
12-12-2008, 08:06 AM   #14

I also use the SanDisk card reader. If I only have a few images I may use the USB cable but when it comes to getting 400+ DNG images off the camera the card reader is much faster.
12-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always remove the card.

downloading through the cable is a waste of battery power and time (usb 1.1)