Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2022, 05:10 AM   #31

I was in the same exact situation. My KS1 has had ABF for years now but I kept using it quite successfully with manual lenses. I received my K3 III a few days ago so still learning all the new features and buttons. I didn’t want to risk the potential ABF on a K70.

07-10-2022, 03:36 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Demiles Quote
I was in the same exact situation. My KS1 has had ABF for years now but I kept using it quite successfully with manual lenses. I received my K3 III a few days ago so still learning all the new features and buttons. I didn’t want to risk the potential ABF on a K70.
I purchase a new KP in 2018 primarily to avoid ABF problems with the K-70, but from the reports I’ve heard, the solenoid now used on the K-70 will finally put ABF problems to rest.
07-26-2022, 11:26 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Soggy75 Quote
My photographic goals are just to continue using my camera as now(travel,family use),if my current wasnt malfunctioning i dont think id be yearning for a new model.
Having compared the KP and K70 with the handy tool i'm reassured to see theres not much difference in size+weight
That leaves cost as the major factor; KP seems a better built,more reliable and marginally better specced camera, the K70 noticeably cheaper.

I have seen a used KP on ebay(very good condition, shutter count 3940, less than a year old so probably some warranty left on it, original box and accessories) for £600 which is the same cost as a new K70
I think the K1 would be too big/expensive

I think if it wasnt for the reliability issues I'd get the k70
Which one was it you chose finally?
07-26-2022, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I purchased a K3 in 2015, and a KP in 2018. Both saw considerable use by me until the purchase of a K1 ii in October 2021. Between the times of purchase and October 2021, I have had to clean the sensor on the K3 once and the KP twice. Not a big or difficult job, but it tells me the KP is not as well constructed as some might think.
Dirt on the sensor has almost zero connection towards how the K3 and KP are constructed!
The only minor difference is the entry of the cable of the tilting LCD of the KP.

Dirt comes in when changing lenses and using zoom-lenses (particular old one's which "pump" dust/pollen towards your sensor.
Also using LiveView exposes the sensor much more towards dust and pollen.

Almost impossible that differences in construction would be the reason.

07-27-2022, 02:32 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Dirt on the sensor has almost zero connection towards how the K3 and KP are constructed!
The only minor difference is the entry of the cable of the tilting LCD of the KP.

Dirt comes in when changing lenses and using zoom-lenses (particular old one's which "pump" dust/pollen towards your sensor.
Also using LiveView exposes the sensor much more towards dust and pollen.

Almost impossible that differences in construction would be the reason.
Considering what you say about changing lenses and zoom lenses, I think you are right and my belief in the superior construction of the K3 based on the sensor cleaning issue may be mistaken, unless of course debris is put on the sensor from the shutter/mirror mechanism (consider the Nikon D600 for instance). However, I still reckon the K3 is better constructed than the KP. Small details of how the leatherette has stood up better over time for instance. Again the KP is no slouch in construction, certainly better than some Nikon DSLRs which have gone through my hands just I certainly feel the K3 is a bit tougher. I am certainly not knocking the KP in any way. I love mine!
07-28-2022, 12:41 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K3ii and a KP. If there's any question whatsoever of which one to take, the KP wins almost every time. I love it that much. There's nothing particularly "wrong" with the K3ii. I just prefer the KP. Honestly, since it is discontinued, I wish I had another as well. (my eyes are open!)
07-28-2022, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I have a K3ii and a KP. If there's any question whatsoever of which one to take, the KP wins almost every time. I love it that much. There's nothing particularly "wrong" with the K3ii. I just prefer the KP. Honestly, since it is discontinued, I wish I had another as well. (my eyes are open!)
When the K3 iii came out, I seriously considered getting one. Other options were a second KP or a K1 ii (for which i settled, as it suits my particular needs for a high IQ machine for slow considered shots more than the APSC cameras). Having actually been lucky enough to handle a K3 iii, I ascertained that while is was super handling, it was not significantly better than for what I currently use my K3 and KP (I do not shoot action or birds).
FYI my stable is used as follows:-
K3 - close up and macro
K1 ii - landscape and still life
KP - walk about with 28, 35 or 50mm lens
As the K3 and K1 ii get used for mostly planned stuff and the KP for off the cuff, the KP tends to get used the most and I still toy with the idea of getting a second one!

08-04-2022, 12:09 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
When the K3 iii came out, I seriously considered getting one. Other options were a second KP or a K1 ii (for which i settled, as it suits my particular needs for a high IQ machine for slow considered shots more than the APSC cameras). Having actually been lucky enough to handle a K3 iii, I ascertained that while is was super handling, it was not significantly better than for what I currently use my K3 and KP (I do not shoot action or birds).
FYI my stable is used as follows:-
K3 - close up and macro
K1 ii - landscape and still life
KP - walk about with 28, 35 or 50mm lens
As the K3 and K1 ii get used for mostly planned stuff and the KP for off the cuff, the KP tends to get used the most and I still toy with the idea of getting a second one!
What a fine stable! With these particular models, looks to me like you are very well set!! A variety of needs are very well met- photographically, for physical practicality of usage, and for convenience- and all with top quality. I passed on the K-3, continuing to enjoy my still very good K-5 IIs. I gave away my old but perfect K-r, replacing it with a new K-S2 with its many upgrades as my casual compact lightweight model. I got it when a fantastic deal came along just before the K-70 arrived- I mean, new at $508 with the amazingly small 18-50mm kit lens!

Then a year or so later, the KP came along, and I was very intrigued by its unique design, and in such a high-quality body with advanced controls, so I waited until the price came down and bought one. I liked it so much, after a few more months I got a 2nd KP body, and I'm glad I did. Being an old long-time film shooter, I am conservative in shooting less to get what I want efficiently, yet I use both KP's alternately and with different grips, but not necessarily having them both along together on an outing. Finally, a couple of years ago, I passed on the K-3 III and got the K-1 II with the 28-105 WR kit lens at a wonderful price for what it is. Still available. I was motivated to make use of my numerous very fine FF lenses, in their FF FOV. An mazing camera! When compactness is not an issue, and for shooting in the WA to shorter tele range, then carrying is not bad, and the results from this camera are fantastic.

Like yourself, the KP remains my most often-used model. IQ and features are outstanding, along with compact carrying. And like yourself, I find each model has its advantages appropriate for particular uses, and each is a joy to use in its own special way, and has its own special features.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-04-2022 at 12:35 PM.
08-04-2022, 01:24 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Soggy75 Quote
That leaves cost as the major factor; KP seems a better built,more reliable and marginally better specced camera, the K70 noticeably cheaper.

I have seen a used KP on ebay(very good condition, shutter count 3940, less than a year old so probably some warranty left on it, original box and accessories) for £600 which is the same cost as a new K70
That seemed like the best way to go. Perhaps this was the solution for the OP.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-04-2022 at 01:55 PM.
08-04-2022, 02:17 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
What a fine stable! With these particular models, looks to me like you are very well set!! A variety of needs are very well met- photographically, for physical practicality of usage, and for convenience- and all with top quality. I passed on the K-3, continuing to enjoy my still very good K-5 IIs. I gave away my old but perfect K-r, replacing it with a new K-S2 with its many upgrades as my casual compact lightweight model. I got it when a fantastic deal came along just before the K-70 arrived- I mean, new at $508 with the amazingly small 18-50mm kit lens!

Then a year or so later, the KP came along, and I was very intrigued by its unique design, and in such a high-quality body with advanced controls, so I waited until the price came down and bought one. I liked it so much, after a few more months I got a 2nd KP body, and I'm glad I did. Being an old long-time film shooter, I am conservative in shooting less to get what I want efficiently, yet I use both KP's alternately and with different grips, but not necessarily having them both along together on an outing. Finally, a couple of years ago, I passed on the K-3 III and got the K-1 II with the 28-105 WR kit lens at a wonderful price for what it is. Still available. I was motivated to make use of my numerous very fine FF lenses, in their FF FOV. An mazing camera! When compactness is not an issue, and for shooting in the WA to shorter tele range, then carrying is not bad, and the results from this camera are fantastic.

Like yourself, the KP remains my most often-used model. IQ and features are outstanding, along with compact carrying. And like yourself, I find each model has its advantages appropriate for particular uses, and each is a joy to use in its own special way, and has its own special features.
I got a KP, expecting it to be my primary camera, but lately I have found lugging it to be a burden, so I am making increasing use of my “Q” when I walk any distance. I am retired, so I don’t have the funds to spend them on a collection of bodies. A “Q” certainly does limitations, but I lived with basically the same limitations back when I shot Kodachrome25 slide film.

Last edited by reh321; 08-04-2022 at 02:31 PM.
11-12-2022, 06:03 AM   #41

My K-S1 had the aperture solenoid issue four years ago, and I sent it off to be fixed. The replacement solenoid is now itself failing, so I'm checking what a second service call is gonna cost, and trying to find out what part the service shop will put in. Thing is, the K-S1 is all I need in a camera. I have no interest in flippy screens or live view, or a battery grip etc etc, and Pentax has yet to come out with a proper lightweight replacement for the K-S1, IMO.

The thing really is this: what has Pentax done about this issue, or have they ignored it? Are solenoids now only made in Japan? Have they moved away from controlling the aperture this way and doing something completely different?
11-12-2022, 06:15 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
My K-S1 had the aperture solenoid issue four years ago, and I sent it off to be fixed. The replacement solenoid is now itself failing, so I'm checking what a second service call is gonna cost, and trying to find out what part the service shop will put in. Thing is, the K-S1 is all I need in a camera. I have no interest in flippy screens or live view, or a battery grip etc etc, and Pentax has yet to come out with a proper lightweight replacement for the K-S1, IMO.

The thing really is this: what has Pentax done about this issue, or have they ignored it? Are solenoids now only made in Japan? Have they moved away from controlling the aperture this way and doing something completely different?
The latest version of the solenoid in the K70 has solved the problem by all accounts. The official Pentax repairer is now John Pye Technical.
https://www.johnpye.co.uk/john-pye-technical-services/
They can either supply a replacement solenoid for DIY repair or you could enquire about their repair cost. There are many instructional threads on the forum.

11-12-2022, 06:46 AM   #43
Pentaxian

To answer your questions directly, solenoid control is still used in Pentax lower-tier camera bodies. Pentax has not ignored the issue. They still source their solenoids from China, but after trying several versions, they apparently finally have one that work, although I’m not sure the old version has worked itself out of the repair network.
11-12-2022, 09:05 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
The latest version of the solenoid in the K70 has solved the problem by all accounts. The official Pentax repairer is now John Pye Technical.
https://www.johnpye.co.uk/john-pye-technical-services/
They can either supply a replacement solenoid for DIY repair or you could enquire about their repair cost. There are many instructional threads on the forum.
Thanks for that. I had in fact already emailed JP but no reply yet. 20 years ago I'd certainly have tried the DIY route; I have seen the threads you refer to and they seem comprehensive. I recapped the x-overs in my loudspeakers about five years ago, that showed me that my motor skills are not what they were, even then. If the solenoid issue is solved then having it repaired is worthwhile for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
They still source their solenoids from China, but after trying several versions, they apparently finally have one that work, although I’m not sure the old version has worked itself out of the repair network
I'll see what the repairer has to say.
11-12-2022, 09:58 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-S1 had the aperture solenoid issue four years ago, and I sent it off to be fixed. The replacement solenoid is now itself failing.....
That is a pretty long period you had it working because 4 years ago it just received the 2-nd generation China-Solenoid which was better than the 1.st generation but not perfect yet.

... so I'm checking what a second service call is gonna cost, and trying to find out what part the service shop will put in.
Good thing is that you contacted John Pye because they have the 3rd generation solenoid:
K-30 / K-50 Aperture Block Failue - Repair Solution available - Page 64 - PentaxForums.com

But there is a cheaper solution:
Manual: Solenoid replacement: Pentax K-S1 - PentaxForums.com
i.e. buy the solenoid from JP and DIY.

Thing is, the K-S1 is all I need in a camera. I have no interest in flippy screens or live view, or a battery grip etc etc, and Pentax has yet to come out with a proper lightweight replacement for the K-S1, IMO.
Yes, the K-S1 is a wonderful small Pentax with a particular good sensor, which some prefer over others.
I have the KP but my wife has 2 x the K-S1 and I can say that the K-S1 doesn't have to hide really. Sometimes when traveling light I take a K-S1 with a few fast primes such as the DA limiteds or the FA43 and never got disappointed.

No not in Japan but study all details here:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com