Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2022, 03:34 AM   #1

K-s1 replacement

It looks like my ks1 has succumbed to the aperture block failure(not something I was aware of until my recent problems and subsequent research)
Much that I could get it fixed I'm tempted by an upgrade instead.
I'd want a similar 'style' of camera...compact and lightweight with good IQ and relatively easy to use(most of my photography is whilst travelling/hiking)
I'm considering the k70 or kp
The k70 is considerably cheaper.
Do either of these cameras suffer from the ongoing aperture block failure issues.
Where should I put my money?

For info..the lenses I use are;
Tamron f2.8 17-50
Pentax 35mm f2.4 prime
Pentax 55-200 kit lens

Thanks

02-22-2022, 04:15 AM   #2
-
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-70 occasionally suffers the problem, so whilst it's an excellent camera, you might want to avoid that. You'd have to be pretty unlucky, but it could happen - and then how would you feel? The KP has proven to be extremely reliable. That's where I'd put my own money, if I were in your shoes... Either that, or a good, lightly-used K3 or K-3II.
02-22-2022, 04:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to be shure to never get the selenoid block you have to buy am Pentax with a stepper motor. These are K-5, K-3, K-1 and the KP.
The K-70 still has a selenoid and despite having a much lower failure rate then the K-30/K-50 there is the occasional blocked one.
The K-S1 allready is one of the models with improved solenoid quaility, so I understand, that you would not want to invest into another potential failure.

If you want a comparable image quality the K-3 would be the best priced upgrade into the mid-grade/pro level, followed by the KP which has even a bit better IQ, but is more expensive used. Concerning the style, K-3 and KP have approximtely the same size and the KP is a bit smaller and 100 gr. lighter with battery. As the KP can mount a small grip it handling would propably remind you more of the K-S1 and it uses the same batteries as the K-S1.
Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-S1 vs. Pentax KP - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

On the other side you might also consider another used K-S1 or K-S2 (same size as K-3/KP) which tend to be quite low priced used and just buy another one next time when the block failure occurs. My K-70 is now in its third operational year with 3800 shutter counts and I keep my fingers crossed.
02-22-2022, 06:18 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depending on the OP's budget the K 3 III

Other recommendations are the K 3 and K 3 II

Other than budget what are the OP's " photographic " goals

How important is " continuous shutter " rate for example

02-22-2022, 08:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

As I said in your other thread, you can use the PF comparison tool to get a better idea of the existing options.
If you are not afraid of buying used you can step up in terms of equipment while respecting a tight budget.
Check out the marketplace here, you might find a match
e.g. (no affiliation): Pentax KP - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by VictorDA; 02-22-2022 at 08:41 AM. Reason: added links
02-22-2022, 09:15 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Soggy75 Quote
. . . I'd want a similar 'style' of camera...compact and lightweight with good IQ and relatively easy to use(most of my photography is whilst travelling/hiking)
I'm considering the k70 or kp . . .
this is a nice tool

K 70 vs KP

Compare camera dimensions side by side
02-22-2022, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
this is a nice tool

K 70 vs KP

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Unfortunately numbers on paper simply do not translate to the ergonomics of the camera in the hand.
I own and use both the KP (14k exposures) and the K-70 (25K exposures) and, in some respects, they can be more like two totally different cameras than just variations on a theme.
For me, the immediately obvious differences are the rear screen, KP - tilt, K-70 - fully articulated, and the positioning of the shutter button, KP - 'retro', K-70 - traditional Pentax DSLR.
The KP has significantly improved a/f, especially with the latest firmware, but only of consequence if you need it, the K-70 functions very well!
Ultra-high shutter speeds, extended low light sensitivity, battery grip availability, again, only good if you want/need them!
I've been lucky to find myself in the circumstance of being able to "upgrade" from the K-70 to the KP and now to the K-3iii in a relatively short period of time, without having to trade anything in, so I can continue to take advantage of the unique capabilities of each camera the K-70 really does continue to provide spectacular value for money!
Just my tuppence worth inevitably YMMV

02-22-2022, 10:52 AM   #8

Original Poster
Depending on the OP's budget the K 3 III

Other recommendations are the K 3 and K 3 II

Other than budget what are the OP's " photographic " goals

How important is " continuous shutter " rate for example
My photographic goals are just to continue using my camera as now(travel,family use),if my current wasnt malfunctioning i dont think id be yearning for a new model.
Having compared the KP and K70 with the handy tool i'm reassured to see theres not much difference in size+weight
That leaves cost as the major factor; KP seems a better built,more reliable and marginally better specced camera, the K70 noticeably cheaper.

I have seen a used KP on ebay(very good condition, shutter count 3940, less than a year old so probably some warranty left on it, original box and accessories) for 600 which is the same cost as a new K70
I think the K1 would be too big/expensive

---------- Post added 02-22-22 at 11:00 AM ----------

i think if it wasnt for the reliability issues id get the k70
02-22-2022, 12:12 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Soggy75 Quote
. . . Having compared the KP and K70 with the handy tool i'm reassured to see theres not much difference in size+weight. . .

. . . .so probably some warranty left on it, . . .
I'm glad you found the tool helpful

I am not aware of what the laws are regarding warranties in your country

is there a warranty if you are not the initial purchaser ??

not sure what hand grip is shown by the tool

QuoteQuote:
. . . Add to that as another new feature that the hand grip can be exchanged for different sizes. There are a total of three hand grips to choose from. . . .
https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-kp-review/highlights-and-new.htm

and of course there is a camera grip for the KP as well:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Battery Grip D-BG7 for Pentax KP R

Description:
Weather-sealed battery grip for the Pentax KP. Includes a tray that can hold a spare SD card. The grip accommodates a D-LI109 or a larger D-LI90 battery.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-battery-grip-d-bg7-for-...#ixzz7LeVGHK3y

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-22-2022 at 12:17 PM.
02-22-2022, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless you want to replace your zoom lenses, the K-1 is not a good option, or at least you won't be able to use the full image area provided by the sensor and might as well get a K-5 II or IIs at that point.

If it were me* and I was looking at the glass you own and the various body options, I would probably look for a good copy of the K-3 and put any savings towards eventual replacement of the 50-200 with a 55-300 PLM if you are wanting a higher quality long zoom lens. If you are not interested in upgrading your long zoom then I'd probably get the KP to get better AF and high-ISO performance.

* The K-5 II and IIs are still good shooting bodies, I really like mine still after all these years, but things are advancing which makes these bodies harder to recommend to most people.
02-22-2022, 12:26 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Unless you want to replace your zoom lenses, the K-1 is not a good option, or at least you won't be able to use the full image area provided by the sensor and might as well get a K-5 II or IIs at that point. . . .
the Pentax K 1 and K 1 II use the full frame sensor [ the 24x36 mm rectangle, same size as an old 35mm film negative ] while the other Pentax DSLRs use the smaller ASP-C " crop " sensor

some articles which might be helpful to review

QuoteQuote:
The Crop Factor Explained: An Animation
Understanding a very confusing concept
By PF Staff in Tutorial Videos on Jan 19, 2015
Read more at: The Crop Factor Explained: An Animation - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
The Crop Factor Unmasked
Field of View vs Focal Length on various formats
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Jul 23, 2014
Read more at: The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com
02-22-2022, 12:36 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But than again, the chances of aperture block problems with the K70 are very slim. But of course you only hear from people with a broken camera and not from the mayority of the k70 owners whose cameras works flawlessly.
I recently even bought a k70 for my wife as a replacement for my old k7 she was using. (I own a K1-II for myself which is way to heavy for my wife)

And if you really fear a aperture block failure After you're 3 years warrenty, simply buy a replacement aperture block in advance and store it somewhere so you have it on stickfor the far future.
02-22-2022, 12:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the Pentax K 1 and K 1 II use the full frame sensor [ the 24x36 mm rectangle, same size as an old 35mm film negative ] while the other Pentax DSLRs use the smaller ASP-C " crop " sensor

some articles which might be helpful to review

Read more at: The Crop Factor Explained: An Animation - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Read more at: The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com
asly, the OP says he has the Tamron 17-50 and the DA 50-200. Those are crop lenses. His best option with a K-1 would be either manual cropping or shooting in a crop mode. The DA 35 f2.4 has some ability to cover the full sensor's image circle (though this has driven debate before which doesn't need to start again in this thread). So, yeah, he'd either buy new glass or have K-5 pixel density in a crop mode with the K-1.

Everything I wrote is accurate unless there's some other reply in this thread where he mentioned more, actual full frame glass which I missed.
02-22-2022, 01:00 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
. . . .Everything I wrote is accurate . . .

I'm not aware of anything I posted challenged the accuracy of your post

if so, it was not intended to do so

I just was pointing out, to the best of my ability, articles on the difference between the full frame and ASP-C Sensors and an article on how DA lenses interact with the full frame sensor
02-22-2022, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, okay, I see what's happened. You posted background information that basically agreed with what I had already said about his existing lenses. Never mind all this then.