Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2022, 01:25 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Nightaxians YouTube show (all things Pentax, night photography, urbex, Milky Way, gea

If Pentax lovers aren't into this, I'm not sure who would be. And also night photographers. This is not my channel, but I thought many would be interested in this. Thanks.

The Nightaxians has launched! Each week or so, tune in as Tim Little, Mike Cooper and I discuss all things night photography. And since we all have Pentax cameras, there'll be tons of all things Pentax mixed in there as well!

This week, we discuss some of our favorite lenses for night photography and beyond.

Link to Nightaxians Playlist: The Nightaxians - YouTube

Link to Episode 1:

Last edited by Ken Lee; 02-23-2022 at 01:31 PM.
02-23-2022, 01:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What the ....!? That bus has gotta be a plant.
02-23-2022, 01:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent photo.... and of course thank you for sharing that. I’ll be checking tonight. I’ve always liked astrophotography even if I don’t shoot that kind. Maybe it’s gonna be a spark.
02-23-2022, 02:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
What the ....!? That bus has gotta be a plant.
Hahahahahaha! You don't believe it plummeted from the sky and lays where it has fallen?

---------- Post added 02-23-22 at 03:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Excellent photo.... and of course thank you for sharing that. I’ll be checking tonight. I’ve always liked astrophotography even if I don’t shoot that kind. Maybe it’s gonna be a spark.
I genuinely hope so. Although we talk about night photography, so much about what we discuss can be applied to other things, including our discussion about the lenses' usefulness and other things that we will get into later. I think it's fun. Also, if you have anything that we can discuss that is Pentax or night photography-related, please give a shout out. Thanks!

02-23-2022, 02:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great! Hope it's not all astro all the time.
02-23-2022, 03:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Lee Quote
Hahahahahaha! You don't believe it plummeted from the sky and lays where it has fallen?
Maybe it's the 11:23 from Venus to Mars that took a wrong turn with dire consequences.
02-23-2022, 03:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good enjoyable video. Didn’t see an option to subscribe. Didn’t get enough depth - nice teaser video but I want more! Lol.

02-23-2022, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Great! Hope it's not all astro all the time.
We are night photographers so much of the discussion will be about that, but as we discuss gear, creativity, where and when we might use certain lenses, and so forth, it should appeal to anyone, whether they are Pentax users or not, and whether they are night photographers or not.

We don't really do astrophotography, which is photography dealing mostly with heavenly bodies. It's rare that any one of us just photographs a celestial object exclusively, and when we do, it's usually with a strong earth-bound foreground.

---------- Post added 02-23-22 at 05:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Maybe it's the 11:23 from Venus to Mars that took a wrong turn with dire consequences.
A lot of times, those GPS apps can go awry. Sun flares. Really throws out interplanetary travel at times. Well, you know...I don't have to tell you that....

---------- Post added 02-23-22 at 05:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Good enjoyable video. Didn’t see an option to subscribe. Didn’t get enough depth - nice teaser video but I want more! Lol.
I must admit, when I watched it this morning, it flew by in a hurry. There will be other bits going. What sort of depth would you want? We did discuss more lenses and such, but I think Tim has cut that up into two or more segments.

As for subscribing, I just looked and saw it there. On my screen, there is a button just below the lower right side of the actual video, and where it says "DOWNLOAD" and "SAVE" and directly to the left of the bell. Hopefully you can find it. And please, once again, if you have suggestions, please lay it on me. This is our launch, and you can definitely give input! Thanks!

Last edited by Ken Lee; 02-23-2022 at 04:18 PM.
02-23-2022, 05:51 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very cool, and thanks for adding this thread to the Pentax Nightowls Group as well!
02-23-2022, 06:08 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This sounds right up my alley. I'm not a night photographer per se, but I do light painting and steel wool, so my shoots are typically at night as a matter of purpose. The lens talk was interesting because it's the 15mm Limited (The older version, SMC?) that is pretty much my dedicated night work lens.

Gave it a subscribe too
02-23-2022, 11:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Very cool, and thanks for adding this thread to the Pentax Nightowls Group as well!
You are most welcome. I am so glad that you and others are enjoying this. We hope to get this rolling, and obviously, input from the Pentax community will help fuel the show. We have some ideas for shows and are excited about doing this.

---------- Post added 02-24-22 at 12:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
This sounds right up my alley. I'm not a night photographer per se, but I do light painting and steel wool, so my shoots are typically at night as a matter of purpose. The lens talk was interesting because it's the 15mm Limited (The older version, SMC?) that is pretty much my dedicated night work lens.

Gave it a subscribe too
Yeah, you're definitely a night photographer, just simply not someone who photographs celestial objects and that kind of thing as a matter of course, I suppose. Light painting and steel wool are a big part of night photography, I think. We do light painting, but in the sense of painting a subject with light, not light drawing, which is aiming a light source directly into the camera. But with are definitely within the night photography umbrella, in my humble opinion!

I feel like 15mm is a really good focal length to photograph so much of this.
02-24-2022, 12:45 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Lee Quote
We do light painting, but in the sense of painting a subject with light, not light drawing, which is aiming a light source directly into the camera.

I feel like 15mm is a really good focal length to photograph so much of this.
I've mostly done the light drawing, but have dabbled some in painting a subject like you mentioned. I think both are forms of light painting, albeit different aspects and sometimes both are used in the same shot.

15mm does seem pretty versatile at night, but the reason I love that lens so much is it's well known for its star bursts. I got lucky in that it was included in the kit I bought, not yet knowing how much I'd like it.
02-24-2022, 01:09 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very interesting - thanks, guys, I will certainly tune in!
02-24-2022, 02:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Very interesting - thanks, guys, I will certainly tune in!
Too late!

Sorry, just kidding. We'll save you a seat!

Seriously, thank you very much!! I hope you like it!

---------- Post added 02-24-22 at 03:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I've mostly done the light drawing, but have dabbled some in painting a subject like you mentioned. I think both are forms of light painting, albeit different aspects and sometimes both are used in the same shot.

15mm does seem pretty versatile at night, but the reason I love that lens so much is it's well known for its star bursts. I got lucky in that it was included in the kit I bought, not yet knowing how much I'd like it.
All of that gets put under the umbrella of "light painting", but a lot of us differentiate between "light painting" and "light drawing". But it doesn't matter. What DOES matter is that we're all having fun and being creative.

The starbursts is such an important element. Not all lenses do that well, as you know. Sounds like a great lens you have.
02-24-2022, 07:28 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok subscribed. I’d like more depth and detail on technique used in some example photos and maybe some specific topics. Good start.