Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2008, 05:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Number of pics remaining on K20D?

I probably will get laughed at if the answer is something obvious. Virtually every digital camera I've used shows an estimated number of pics to go on remaining memory card space, but I don't see it on K20D. Is it possible?

Btw I shoot in Av mode 95% of the time; the top LCD panel shows shutter, aperture and ISO, but no number of pics.

12-12-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Once you take a picture, the ISO number should change to the number of pictures taken. I believe that stays on as long as the image is previewed. Now, the ISO display is an option. I thought by default that where you see ISO, it showed the number of photos left. I specifically changed mine to read ISO in the menu setup.

Ok, just looked. Custom option number 31 is "Display Sensitivty" which defaults to Off. When this is Off, the camera displays the number of images left. When on, it displays ISO instead... but, still after taking a shot, the ISO will change to # of pictures left.

I do wonder if there is a way of arbitrarly checking it when you get curious?

Jeremy
12-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your answer Jeremy.

I don't just get curious, before going out shooting I like to know if there's ample room on the card without having to use the card reader. Tried what you said, yes the number of pics does show momentarily after taking a shot, for about half a second and disappears before my eyes leave the eyepiece

Don't really want it to displace ISO display though
12-12-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeremy_c Quote
Once you take a picture, the ISO number should change to the number of pictures taken. I believe that stays on as long as the image is previewed. Now, the ISO display is an option. I thought by default that where you see ISO, it showed the number of photos left. I specifically changed mine to read ISO in the menu setup.

Ok, just looked. Custom option number 31 is "Display Sensitivty" which defaults to Off. When this is Off, the camera displays the number of images left. When on, it displays ISO instead... but, still after taking a shot, the ISO will change to # of pictures left.

I do wonder if there is a way of arbitrarly checking it when you get curious?

Jeremy
When you keep the camera in this set up that you both have (as well as me), when you turn the camera of, the ISO is very briefly replaced by the number of remaining pics before the screen goes blank. So you can get this info by rapidly turning the camera on and off. Not the best solution (please Pentax, read this and get us both ISO and number of pics left in the next update).

12-12-2008, 07:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My K20D shows the number of exposures remaining all the time on the top LCD and in the viewfinder. I think it is much more useful to have this info than to have the ISO displayed all the time.

If I wanted to know the ISO, I only need to press the OK button for it to be displayed on the top LCD and in the viewfinder, or alternatively, I just press either the Info button or Fn button and the ISO is shown on the rear LCD.
12-12-2008, 07:35 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
My K20D shows the number of exposures remaining all the time on the top LCD and in the viewfinder. I think it is much more useful to have this info than to have the ISO displayed all the time.

If I wanted to know the ISO, I only need to press the OK button for it to be displayed on the top LCD and in the viewfinder, or alternatively, I just press either the Info button or Fn button and the ISO is shown on the rear LCD.
When I am taking shots, I would like to know the ISO. For instance, I may be in Av, Tv with Auto ISO. If it begins using too high of an ISO, I like to change things around. Normally it's set on 100-800, but when outdoors, I don't want to shoot as high as 800. Maybe I should start remembering to change my Auto ISO range around when I change from one condition to another. I guess it's a habit that should be formed. Something about seeing all the exposure information for each shot, however, seems right.

Jeremy
12-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

oh my god... just hold the OK button while you are shooting with ISO displayed.

the top lcd will change from iso to number of shots!
12-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote

Not only there but in the viewfinder also. no need for other mumbo jumbo. Leave Option 31 set to Display Sensitivity and enjoy.

12-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This forum is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Not only there but in the viewfinder also. no need for other mumbo jumbo. Leave Option 31 set to Display Sensitivity and enjoy.

I don't know how many times after shooting a frame I quickly looked for the pics left. I know, I know....... read the manual. I have fumbled thru the K10 manual and read the magic lantern for the K10, two years ago. but probably only absorbed 50%, and forgot 60% of that.

While reading thru the magic lantern book for the K20 I picked up some other little tid bits that I had forgotten about that work with the K10.

I can't wait to get my K20 wednesday, can some one please tell me how to turn it on?