Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2022, 04:20 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well,please explain what the extra is for?
If you can't differentiate between a $5 magnifying eyepiece and the larger viewfinder, Pete, I think we're onto a non-starter explaining the rest, so I'll pass, thanks all the same If anyone else wants to try, I wish them all the luck...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-28-2022 at 04:40 PM.
02-28-2022, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm onboard with @Qwntm 's video. I actually made a post here almost 3 weeks ago and touched on some of the same points, after purchasing a Panasonic G9.

I know it's a cliché, but Pentax really does make a "photographer's camera" - great handling, thoughtful touches, and seemingly designed with the purpose of keeping non-exposure-related features far enough away from the photographer that they don't distract from the photo-making process.
02-28-2022, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
It's a very pro-Pentax video, praising both the K1 and K3III. In a nutshell he wants a Pentax body and controls with the guts of mirorless, as some here mention. Good luck with that, so in the meantime it's sounding like he's reigniting an old love affair with Pentax DSLR's.
I agree. I think nearly everyone that has viewed his video agrees that the video is pro-Pentax. I certainly did when I started this thread. Smiles.

Regards,

Michael

p.s. I also agree with most, and probably him, that a move to mirrorless would likey be the end of the Pentax k-mount system.... This would go against Pentax views and statements concerning the matter (one strong one being Pentax dedication to the Penta-prizm that many believe is where the name Pentax came from so many moons ago) and likely go against flange physics size(although it could be technically pulled off if size boundaries were pushed). Comments please...

Regards,

Michael

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 02-28-2022 at 05:29 PM.
02-28-2022, 07:03 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I agree. I think nearly everyone that has viewed his video agrees that the video is pro-Pentax. I certainly did when I started this thread. Smiles.

Regards,

Michael

p.s. I also agree with most, and probably him, that a move to mirrorless would likey be the end of the Pentax k-mount system.... This would go against Pentax views and statements concerning the matter (one strong one being Pentax dedication to the Penta-prizm that many believe is where the name Pentax came from so many moons ago) and likely go against flange physics size(although it could be technically pulled off if size boundaries were pushed). Comments please...

Regards,

Michael
It's the distance from the lens mount to the sensor that changes things. Lenses had to be designed so that the mirror in the SLR could be put in between the lens and the sensor (film.)

It's not necessarily the end of the K mount but the beginning of a new chapter in Pentax history if they went that way. Just like Nikon they would need a new mount and new lenses and there would probably be an adapter for the K mount lenses. It's probably not going to happen more for the reason that Pentax knows they don't have the resources to make a new system of lenses from scratch, or more accurately Ricoh doesn't want to allocate the resources for that to happen.

I'm not really sure what kind of future Pentax with only DSLR's actually has though. I don't really see a lot of new users being lured by the DSLR. It's an old guy thing and they're not making any more of those. What ever's left over from the 1970's and 1980's is all there is. But you never know... regardless, they're still some of the best pro DSLR's ever made.

02-28-2022, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For some reason this exchange strikes me as funny.
Buying equipment for making a bunch of videos about it, and then selling it, is not very different from renting. This is no long term ownership with the depreciation that comes with it. If my goal was to run a camera review channel, I would want to minimize the cost of the equipment, so I would buy-return or buy-sell quickly but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's my preferred equipment for one or two weeks, it's just not necessary. I like the videos of Qwntm, there is some common sense , photographer's logic that can be interesting to watch.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-28-2022 at 08:53 PM.
02-28-2022, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Qwntm may meander about in his videos, but this one I feel that it exactly matches what I think about the K1, Pentax, MILC.
03-01-2022, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm in the same camp of "my camera feels like an extension of my hand".
I'm sure I'd be able to get the same experience from a Nikon or something, but when it ain't broken...

03-01-2022, 04:32 AM - 3 Likes   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Buying equipment for making a bunch of videos about it, and then selling it, is not very different from renting. This is no long term ownership with the depreciation that comes with it. If my goal was to run a camera review channel, I would want to minimize the cost of the equipment, so I would buy-return or buy-sell quickly but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's my preferred equipment for one or two weeks, it's just not necessary. I like the videos of Qwntm, there is some common sense , photographer's logic that can be interesting to watch.
I think Ed's point is that he buys gear with the intention of keeping it and shooting with it in the long term. He is also fairly quick to sell gear that doesn't click with him for whatever reason and is honest about those reasons. His stated intentions are not simply buy gear to review and then flip it or send it back, but he also isn't willing to keep shooting with camera bodies that he doesn't like.
03-01-2022, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Cheers, Rob - we're still smiling, or at least doing our level best to, in the global circumstances
Is that one of those fabled "Well, not *too* bad, all things considered" British moments?

These days I'm very happy that my Octavia drinks a bit over 5 liters of diesel per 100 km... And I still spend about 100€ a month in commuting fuel (paying about 1.45€ per liter, though this weekend I saw a couple stations with 1.60€+ prices...).

I miss living a 5-min walk away from work . I'd gladly spend those fuel savings on a DFA 21
03-01-2022, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Is that one of those fabled "Well, not *too* bad, all things considered" British moments?
You know us too well

The cost of living increases are very concerning, though. I'm not at the stage where I have to decide between making coffee or caffenol - yet... but who knows what the future holds? I won't be making any major photography purchases for some considerable time. Thankfully, I'm more than well-equipped, so that's no hardship...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-01-2022 at 06:55 AM.
03-01-2022, 08:40 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
It's the distance from the lens mount to the sensor that changes things. Lenses had to be designed so that the mirror in the SLR could be put in between the lens and the sensor (film.)

It's not necessarily the end of the K mount but the beginning of a new chapter in Pentax history if they went that way. Just like Nikon they would need a new mount and new lenses and there would probably be an adapter for the K mount lenses. It's probably not going to happen more for the reason that Pentax knows they don't have the resources to make a new system of lenses from scratch, or more accurately Ricoh doesn't want to allocate the resources for that to happen.

I'm not really sure what kind of future Pentax with only DSLR's actually has though. I don't really see a lot of new users being lured by the DSLR. It's an old guy thing and they're not making any more of those. What ever's left over from the 1970's and 1980's is all there is. But you never know... regardless, they're still some of the best pro DSLR's ever made.

I haven't read up on the physics of it, but making a mirrorless system, would it result in a shorter or longer distance between the sensor and the attached lens. If it had to be shorter, then I can see where it would be nearly impossible to pull off. I'm just curious if there's any way at all that the k mount system could be preserved with a mirrorless body.....(?) If an adapter could be made to accomodate "old" k mount lens, then I don't see why a system without adapter couldn't be pulled off - just might result in some added un-used length in the system (?)
03-01-2022, 12:20 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
. I'm not at the stage where I have to decide between making coffee or caffenol ...
Decide? The good stuff gets drunk, cheap cr....rubbish makes great caffeinol! It is the only logical reason why the £3 large jars exist. BTW, we need to compare notes. I am getting good results from Sainsburys Dark & Nasty

Re mirrorless: third party manufacturers made a k mount to Sony whatever it is with full AF, so surely the Pentax boffins could make a K mount to L mount adapter that works (for which they could charge the earth) then make an ergonomically Pentax, L mount, x mount, whatever mount camera with all the modern technological advancements. They won't, but I bet they could. OK, so that would be the beginning of the end for K mount but at least we could keep some compatibility

Last edited by Cerebum; 03-01-2022 at 12:39 PM.
03-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I haven't read up on the physics of it, but making a mirrorless system, would it result in a shorter or longer distance between the sensor and the attached lens. If it had to be shorter, then I can see where it would be nearly impossible to pull off. I'm just curious if there's any way at all that the k mount system could be preserved with a mirrorless body.....(?) If an adapter could be made to accomodate "old" k mount lens, then I don't see why a system without adapter couldn't be pulled off - just might result in some added un-used length in the system (?)
Yes, the distance is shorter with no mirror. I actually have a $10 Pentax to Fuji x Adapter right now that works great.

So no, Pentax going mirrorless is not the end of using the K lenses, but it might be the end of any new K mount lenses. The plus side would be that all the new ML lenses would be new and modern and expensive.

It's never going to happen unless some one high up at Ricoh has a come to Jesus moment, so nothing to worry about, but fun to think about!
03-01-2022, 02:06 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Ed, I'm sorry the video was not my cup of Oolong Formosa (tea...) but thanks to remarks by some others in this thread I had a look at your video about the 2021 box set and went from there to your website and gallery of recent work. That's more my kind of thing, I enjoy seeing what's photographed and what images result. You also warm this old heart by making silver gelatin prints: as a former practitioner, anyone still practising the darkroom arts has my respect.

All the best!
03-01-2022, 02:20 PM   #45
Pentaxian

For me, the Pentax DSLR format is formidable. For example, my Pentax K-1 II is amazing, and its build, styling and performance are excellent. This is just my opinion.