Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2022, 05:04 PM - 2 Likes   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Buying equipment for making a bunch of videos about it, and then selling it, is not very different from renting
Interesting that he does not do that either. (I still find the exchange amusing. )

Steve

03-01-2022, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Ed, I'm sorry the video was not my cup of Oolong Formosa (tea...) but thanks to remarks by some others in this thread I had a look at your video about the 2021 box set and went from there to your website and gallery of recent work. That's more my kind of thing, I enjoy seeing what's photographed and what images result. You also warm this old heart by making silver gelatin prints: as a former practitioner, anyone still practising the darkroom arts has my respect.

All the best!
I understand. I actually made a new channel because I tried to change the format of PHOTO UNIVERSE and there were a lot of complaints.

I try to spend more time out photographing in the field on my new channel, you might like it: Edward Thomas - YouTube

I'm headed up the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon this next weekend, so I should be posting a few videos about the trip and the photography next week.

Either way, thanks!
03-01-2022, 06:52 PM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I'm headed up the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon this next weekend,
You should have 'transitional" weather (dry with sun breaks). My understanding is that grass widows are out in the eastern gorge.
03-01-2022, 07:00 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You should have 'transitional" weather (dry with sun breaks). My understanding is that grass widows are out in the eastern gorge.
I had to look up that term...

Oh.

03-01-2022, 07:42 PM   #50

I suspect you mean the flower. :-)
03-01-2022, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I had to look up that term...

Oh.
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote

I suspect you mean the flower. :-)
Yep...here is an old shot of my attempt to photograph same...

Steve
03-01-2022, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, the distance is shorter with no mirror. I actually have a $10 Pentax to Fuji x Adapter right now that works great.

So no, Pentax going mirrorless is not the end of using the K lenses, but it might be the end of any new K mount lenses. The plus side would be that all the new ML lenses would be new and modern and expensive.

It's never going to happen unless some one high up at Ricoh has a come to Jesus moment, so nothing to worry about, but fun to think about!
The thing is, it doesn't have to be shorter, but it can be.

The shorter registration distance brings benefits in lens size at shorter focal lengths, but increases the angle of incidence of the light rays at the edges of the sensor (something that can be allowed for as far as the sensor microlenses go, but presumably requires a compromise for longer focal length lenses), and which requires more correction for lateral chromatic aberration, so it doesn't necessarily make the lens design much less complex than a retrofocus equivalent for DSLRs, even if it can still be smaller overall. I presume you know all this, anyway.

My point is that a mirrorless body can still use the K-mount – it just takes some clever styling to accommodate the extra registration distance without making the body appear too bulky, something the K-01 failed to do, even if some people thought it looked OK (most didn't, although I think that could have been largely overlooked if they'd fitted an EVF to it). The overall size of lens/body combinations would suffer a little on the wider end, but not significantly on the longer end, and the additional weight penalty would be small. The major benefit to Ricoh would be that they wouldn't have to run two separate lens mounts (three, assuming there'll be a continuation of the 645 line).

03-02-2022, 04:46 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Thanks Steve. We actually moved the trip twice due to the weather. Last week there was a 30 vehicle pile up on I-84 near Pendleton the day we were to come back, due to ice and snow.

I used to live in Portland when it was just weird, and I never did have any luck with the wildflowers in the Gorge. My goal this trip is to hit the spots I've photographed before but with the modern gear. I particularly want to photograph Wahkeena Falls, Ponytail Falls, and Shepperd's Dell.

I'd prefer an overcast day, but as long as it's above 40F and not raining too much, I'm good.

---------- Post added 03-02-22 at 05:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote

The shorter registration distance brings benefits in lens size at shorter focal lengths, but increases the angle of incidence of the light rays at the edges of the sensor (something that can be allowed for as far as the sensor microlenses go, but presumably requires a compromise for longer focal length lenses), and which requires more correction for lateral chromatic aberration, so it doesn't necessarily make the lens design much less complex than a retrofocus equivalent for DSLRs, even if it can still be smaller overall. I presume you know all this, anyway.

My point is that a mirrorless body can still use the K-mount – it just takes some clever styling to accommodate the extra registration distance without making the body appear too bulky, something the K-01 failed to do, even if some people thought it looked OK (most didn't, although I think that could have been largely overlooked if they'd fitted an EVF to it). The overall size of lens/body combinations would suffer a little on the wider end, but not significantly on the longer end, and the additional weight penalty would be small. The major benefit to Ricoh would be that they wouldn't have to run two separate lens mounts (three, assuming there'll be a continuation of the 645 line).
I'd buy a KP with an EVF, better video and a flippy screen. Heck I'd pre-order one!
03-02-2022, 07:11 AM   #54
Pentaxian

I've never rented a camera or lens in my life.

Every camera or lens I have tried I have done so with the intention of keeping and using if it met my needs, requirements and expectations. Sadly most have failed. When the system I'm experimenting with fails to meet my needs, I end up going back to a few stalwarts (for me) namely Fuji and Pentax.

I share my experiences on my Youtube channel honestly and sincerely.
I have never intentionally made a video in my life, certainly not YouTube.

Getting back to the claimed subject of this thread {realizing I didn’t bother to watch the video, either}, for me digital has been the opposite of “ruined”; Pentax digital has given me graceful good high ISO - my wife still talks about when I {as a grad student} first tried Kodak’s “400 ASA” film; now I am freed from those considerations. Now I get instant feedback.

Last edited by reh321; 03-02-2022 at 07:24 AM.
03-12-2022, 03:25 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I understand. I actually made a new channel because I tried to change the format of PHOTO UNIVERSE and there were a lot of complaints.

I try to spend more time out photographing in the field on my new channel, you might like it: Edward Thomas - YouTube

I'm headed up the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon this next weekend, so I should be posting a few videos about the trip and the photography next week.

Either way, thanks!
I just got around to watching that Columbia River Gorge video, Ed. Nice work with the FA20, in particular.
03-12-2022, 07:09 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I just got around to watching that Columbia River Gorge video, Ed. Nice work with the FA20, in particular.
Thanks! It was a great quick trip and I really enjoyed it. I started printing a few of the images and the K1/II did a great job, I'm very impressed. I'm not sure what went wrong last year when I took a K1 up to Stanley Idaho, I really didn't like any of the images and that kinda left me wondering what was going on. I think the FA 20mm is making a big difference and the F 70-210 too. Last year I only really had the 28-105 and for wide I had the 12-24 on a K3 with 55-300 WR which my copy is de-centered and the left side of the frame is not that sharp.
03-13-2022, 07:33 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Exactly. The benefits of the shorter lens mount distances are pretty small. At inception the shorter lens mount distances allowed these new mounts to offer easy adapting of vintage lenses which was a major selling point. These days that is less of an issue as the lens catalogs are much wider for these mounts.

I can see a place for the k-mount + EVF style Pentax mirrorless and it would be an interesting “budget” entry option.
If done right as it would position the k-3iii with ovf as the premium option. But I doubt it brings much to the table vs a pentaprism finder model.
03-13-2022, 08:58 AM   #58
Pentaxian

I don’t see any reason for a noticeable “weight penalty”.

Without a prism, the body should weigh less than the comparable DSLR does,
and any unused space could be ‘filled with air’, so only the body structure itself would add to weight.
03-13-2022, 09:26 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

and any unused space could be ‘filled with air’, so only the body structure itself would add to weight.
Well... he did say small. The weight penalty is that your designs will be SLR lenses and the body will be slightly larger. The penalty isn't huge. The main downside I think over other mirrorless systems (besides hype) is that you can't adapt as many other systems but that novelty isn't going to sustain camera companies - it's the repeat buyer picking up native lenses that helps drive their corporate profits. Hoya really gutted Pentax design and manufacturing capabilities but Ricoh has done well keeping a small flow of innovation going. An EVF only camera like a K-01 updated with a less brick like style and a good EVF might have had legs a few years ago - but now I think it is a hard sell. There are benefits to both OVF and EVF - in an ideal world we could buy an EVF/OVF capable camera - perhaps one with mirror lock up for EVF use. But I think even that type would be heavily compromised in today's market.
03-13-2022, 12:12 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

If you re-read what I wrote, you’ll see that I was talking about the body/lens combination. I do understand that prisms (glass in general) can be comparatively heavy.