Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2022, 01:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

How to remove dust on sensor

I got dust problem on my K3, both on the viewfinder and the sensor, I use a regular hand blower to clearn that but the dust keep coming back. I release the focusing screen and removed most of the dust with the blower, but one tiny piece stick in there I believe due to moisture, and I still got dust on the sensor quite annoying. Without actually touching the sensor with special tools is there any hand blower strong enough for the task, beside the compress air type ?

03-04-2022, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

All hand blowers are effectively using compressed air … it just depends how hard you squeeze
If by "compressed air type" you mean aerosol blowers, the reservations there are often due to the potential for troublesome propellants rather than the device itself, though an "industrial quality" blower may just cause mechanical damage!
Pentax themselves market Pentax Sensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1 … I've not used one. Other similar products are available.
Alternatively, some retail outlets have offered a cleaning service in the past … if you've got such a facility near to you.
If the dust "keeps coming back", either you're not cleaning the interior of the camera efficiently in the first place, or you need to be more selective about the circumstances in which you change lenses.
Try to keep the camera body facing downwards, both when changing lenses and cleaning, to help prevent dust from falling into the camera in the first place and also to help any dust fall out when cleaning.
I have used an old-fashioned changing bag in the past when I was specifically working in a wind-blown dusty environment, but even then, provision has to be made to prevent debris from entering the bag and causing future problems!
Good luck
03-04-2022, 05:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
All hand blowers are effectively using compressed air … it just depends how hard you squeeze
If by "compressed air type" you mean aerosol blowers, the reservations there are often due to the potential for troublesome propellants rather than the device itself, though an "industrial quality" blower may just cause mechanical damage!
Pentax themselves market Pentax Sensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1 … I've not used one. Other similar products are available.
Alternatively, some retail outlets have offered a cleaning service in the past … if you've got such a facility near to you.
If the dust "keeps coming back", either you're not cleaning the interior of the camera efficiently in the first place, or you need to be more selective about the circumstances in which you change lenses.
Try to keep the camera body facing downwards, both when changing lenses and cleaning, to help prevent dust from falling into the camera in the first place and also to help any dust fall out when cleaning.
I have used an old-fashioned changing bag in the past when I was specifically working in a wind-blown dusty environment, but even then, provision has to be made to prevent debris from entering the bag and causing future problems!
Good luck
Yes changing lens in outdoor is the cause of gathering dust, canned type aerosol compress air should be strong enough but not convenient to carry while hiking and need to refill. Lens changing bag is a good idea thanks for the tip, I could use my old film changing bag or simply cover with my jacket, dust can be edit out in the post, but still hated to do that.
03-04-2022, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the Pentax gel stick for anything stubborn. On my full frame Sony I use a wet cleaning kit that has apsc versions available also. I also use a JJC sensor loupe to see the dust.

The focusing screen is a tough one. I’ve just lived with a few spots rather than risk damage but there are threads in various places on how these can be cleaned. I’d lean towards buying an original replacement if it really bothers you.

Canned air has the potential to release propellants that can damage coatings on lenses and may cause issues with sensors. I have never seen the damage, but I’ve know about this my whole life. I have no idea if there’s really much risk. I know if they can is inverted you can make it spray cold enough to frost metal - at least that used to be true.

03-04-2022, 07:31 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've cleaned my focus screens more than once, and sensors a couple of times a year (sidenote:One of my Sony shooting buddies mentioned doing a sensor clean after every outdoor event)
It's not been any issue really. The focus screen requires much more caution than the sensor which is a bit tougher to harm than many of us would have thought. Use the proper liquid cleaning kit and cleaning pad along with a lighted sensor magnifier and it's pretty quick and easy. The Pentax stick really helps with those little sticky pieces.

But on the focus screens I never actually touch them when cleaning in a three-step process. It takes longer too.
03-04-2022, 07:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I haven't touched the focus screen, but the sensors I clean first by blowing air with a bulb... I use amazon.com : Pentax Sensor Cleaning Kit O-Ick1: Professional Sensor(Ccd/CMOS) Cleaning for Digital Slr Cameras, Mirrorless Cameras and Lenses Easy to Use with Urethane Resin Stick and Cleaning Sheets Made in JAPAN : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20& stubborn spots. I really like the pentax cleaning kit.Its easy to use and really does work, IME. Some of my older bodies seem to really need it after alot of outside time and lens changes.

hth,

Al
03-04-2022, 08:07 AM   #7
dlhawes

compressed air that is at too high a pressure can cause sensitive parts to become misaligned, moved, and damaged. canned air may also contain microaerosolized droplets of oils as well as the possibility of damage due to pressure. I echo the suggestion to use nothing other than a hand-squeezed blower. Hold the camera so that the lens opening is pointed downward - no point in blowing dust around only to have it settle out inside the camera. Make gravity be your friend.

to clean the focusing screen, follow the instructions on focusingscreen.com for removal and installation, paying particular attention to avoiding the use of anything metal or too hard a plastic, you do not want to scratch that thing up getting it out or back in. ("installation instruction" on the menu on the left.) I use my fingers, releasing the catch with my thumbnail and lifting the fresnel lens (it's not really a focusing screen) by its little tab. I wash it under lukewarm water with a tiny bit of dish detergent, rubbing the surface with nothing but the skin on my fingertips. That also strips the oils from my fingers, so after it's all dry (I use a seriously clean microfiber cloth very gently for that), I can put it back in with my fingers, since the detergent cleaned them up as well. I brush off the bottom of the prism with a painter's sable hair paintbrush, fan shape, and then blow it all out with the rocket blower. Make sure you note which side goes "up" before you take it out, and be sure to put it back exactly the same way.

When it gets bad such that the blower and sable-hair brush can't handle it, I clean the sensor with a bamboo chopstick. After you get over that initial shock, i'll point out that I take a small piece of that scrupulously clean microfiber cloth and wrap it around the end of the chopstick to make a swab (i.e., the bottom most part gets folded over the bottom of the chopstick a couple of times first, then wrapped around to make a bulbous "q-tip" shape. A couple of drops of lens cleaning fluid on the end of the swab applied very gently will clean the sensor really well. In my experience, you can't help but get droplets of oily crud on the sensor because of the use of petroleum based lubricants on internal moving parts.

As to changing lenses: first, keep in mind that dust is everywhere, ranging from very little in a semiconductor factory's clean room to lots and lots in a gravel quarry - the trick is to minimize the exposure, but whether you're in your house or sitting on your porch or out in the woods don't matter, as long as you're comfortable with how clean the air appears to be. Remember to loosen but not remove the rear lens cap on the lens you're going to install. Keep everything horizontal - if the openings are pointed up, you'll get stuff falling in; if down, you can't see what you're doing. Turn the camera off and leave it off for at least ten seconds prior to removing the lens - that allows the electrostatic charge on the sensor to dissapate - otherwise, it will attract dust like a cat's fur attracts a rubber balloon. Take the lens off, immediately switching the rear lens cap from one lens to the other, then install the replacement lens. Note: check both the front and back lenses of the replacement for cleanliness before you start. Plan your work, trivial as it may seem, in order to minimize the time in which the camera's open - the longer it sits open, the more dust is settling inside. Don't rush, but don't dawdle, either.

Last edited by dlhawes; 03-04-2022 at 08:13 AM.
03-04-2022, 08:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another note is to hold your camera face down when using compressed air and let gravity work for you.It's a little harder to see what you're blasting, but loosened particles will fall down and out rather than just move around and find a new resting place. Also, be sure your source of compressed air (or gas) is clean. Canned air has to be used very carefully and never from a filled can (use one which is half empty or better). The can must be upright and not agitated or the liquid can be expelled and make everything worse. Always use a test shot to be sure no liquid is trapped in the valve area and be very careful not to tilt the can while blasting. That said, canned air is a poor choice and if you have a squeeze blaster or a clean (maybe even filtered) source of compressed air, these would be better choices.
03-04-2022, 08:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Some stuff will be stuck and need a wipe.
When blowing it usually takes several times as the dust in the camera is not just on the sensor. You blow the dust off the sensor but also blow other dust in the camera around that now settles on the sensor.
A sensor wipe works wonders and is easy. There is a slight risk. I would practice useing one on something like a window or mirror first so you get a feel and understanding of how little pressure you need and can use just one smooth motion.
If it is just one or two specks close to borders then "content fill" and "clone stamp" work wonders.
03-04-2022, 09:01 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I've cleaned my focus screens more than once, and sensors a couple of times a year (sidenote:One of my Sony shooting buddies mentioned doing a sensor clean after every outdoor event)
It's not been any issue really. The focus screen requires much more caution than the sensor which is a bit tougher to harm than many of us would have thought. Use the proper liquid cleaning kit and cleaning pad along with a lighted sensor magnifier and it's pretty quick and easy. The Pentax stick really helps with those little sticky pieces.

But on the focus screens I never actually touch them when cleaning in a three-step process. It takes longer too.
I think he’s not far off!

I shoot Pentax and Sony. The K-3 models and forward from Pentax use ultrasonic cleaning which is far more effective than the shake rattle and roll method used by older Pentax devices and most Sony systems. Additionally the Sony sensor is open most of the time (mirrorless needs to use the sensor to see…) which adds opportunity for dust to settle on the sensor. Lastly the Sony lacks a configuration item to automate the shake reduction process. I have always had my cameras starting with the k100d super shake on startup and/or shutdown which can be setup in the menu. Sony only allows manual invocation of this which means I forget until I see spots everywhere!

I personally am comfortable with wet cleaning and don’t find it difficult but it requires a calm inside place to perform which is unfortunate. The gel stick is something I use more on Pentax as only stubborn junk needs that treatment.
03-04-2022, 09:55 AM   #11
dlhawes

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
... I personally am comfortable with wet cleaning and don’t find it difficult but it requires a calm inside place ....
Good point.
Not just a "calm inside place" relative to the site of the maintenance operations, but also mentally. Don't do it when you're impatient, angry, hurried, or otherwise in a non-Zen mode.