Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2006, 11:13 AM   #1

Mystery behind the Modes (istDL)

I am new to this forum and a new owner of an istDL. I have found that the Point and Shoot modes on the istDl don't seem nearly as effective as those on my old Canon Rebel 2000 (film). Also, the manual is terribly deficient in providing any details on the parameters the camera uses in those modes. For example, all it says on the macro mode is something to the effect of "use this for taking close up shots of flowers".

I searched the forum and found this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/211-another-new-member.html?highlight=modes

but it is inconclusive. Just wondering if anyone has found any reference from Pentax that provides some more insights into the modes. I'd like to be able to get the best out of them even though I hope to rely more on the program mode most of the time.

Thanks.

10-16-2006, 03:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm afraid that you'll need to do it hard way: experiment and monitor what changes when you change mode. It is likely that aperture, shutter speed values are changed, possibly some different parameters are applied to JPEG processing (Contrast, sharpness, satruration).

As far as I know not much people are using those scene modes (and none of experienced photographers), they usually stick to Av, Tv and M.
10-16-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you will find that most DL owners don't use the Pict modes. In the beginning I tried them but was soon back on P-mode or for special shoots M-mode. This is a thread on DPreview about the Pict modes.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=19919809&changemode=1

Cheers

Eddie
10-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. There was a helpful link on the DP thread to a manual for the MZ-10, which is what I was looking for. Pity they didn't do something like that for the new DSLRs.

Well, I understand the limited nature but with the old Canon Rebel those modes actually seemed to work really well and there was alot of data on how they worked. I'm just getting back into this stuff and was hoping for the same kind of data to use as a learning tool as much as anything. I view the modes as being like training wheels on a bike. Also great for when you hand the camera over to the waitress to take the group picture at dinner. Unfortunately it seems Pentax has chosen not to put a whole lot of resources into this feature as I have been VERY dissapointed with the results using these auto modes.

Still happy with the camera though. Build quality seems quite a bit better than the Canon cameras I've owned.

Thanks much for the replies.

10-17-2006, 04:49 AM   #5

QuoteQuote:
as I have been VERY disappointed with the results using these auto modes.
It's funny how people "view" their own shots so differently. I understand what you are saying about disappointment in the "auto" mode. I had to beat myself to death with my Panasonic FZ30 to get any kind of decent shot out of it (change saturation, metering modes etc.). I finally unloaded it and got the K100D. But before I did, I borrowed a Nikon D50. It's "auto" mode didn't make me happy either.

I love and picked the Pentax because "for me" the auto mode works so well. I have low enough vision (even corrected) that I need to see sharpness and fairly saturated and vivid color to be pleased. I'm a shooter who wants to be able to catch my shots on the fly and get decent ones out of the box, then use aperture or shutter preferred per situation and if I have the time to do it.

I'm sure sorry to hear you are disappointed in the auto mode. Been there, got the T-shirt, but with a totally different camera.
10-17-2006, 06:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've also been very pleased with the auto modes and the scene modes. What I've been doing (when I have the time), is taking a picture in the auto mode or scene mode, then taking the same thing in M, Av, or Tv to see if I can improve on the shot the camera picked. Sometimes I do better, sometimes worse, sometimes I can't tell the difference! Hopefully I'll increase the number of times I do better, but I do like looking at the EXIF info to see how it was different.
10-17-2006, 07:04 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xfraser Quote
I've also been very pleased with the auto modes and the scene modes. What I've been doing (when I have the time), is taking a picture in the auto mode or scene mode, then taking the same thing in M, Av, or Tv to see if I can improve on the shot the camera picked. Sometimes I do better, sometimes worse, sometimes I can't tell the difference! Hopefully I'll increase the number of times I do better, but I do like looking at the EXIF info to see how it was different.
This is exactly what I was referring to as using the modes for "training wheels". I hadn't even thought about looking at the EXIF info. Thanks for that suggestion!
10-17-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I have the DL also and have had great results in Auto when I shoot in auto. Most of my shooting is done in M mode since I use mostly Prime K mt. lenses. I do however use the DA 50-200mm as my standard walk about lens. I have never had any problems with the DL hitting the mark every time I use it. Yes I do have throw aways but it's not from the camera it's from the photographer. I shoot anywhere from 200-500 shots per photoshoot. My last wedding I did there were 680 shots taken and only 15 shots that were throw aways, and not one because of the camera. Many times I find i need to judge my light and ISO settings and knowing what type of light is right for each setting. I did an outside wedding last weekend and the light was natural cloudy and bright. I set my bright setting to -1 and -2 and got the right saturation and brightness. I shoot only RAW, no jepeg so there is a diffrence in the way I set the camera up.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David