Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2022, 10:50 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Price difference between K1 and K3?

I was looking at camera prices and noticed that the K3, an APS-C camera actually costs more on most sites, like Adorama, than the K1 Mark II. How can this be? Are we heading toward an update of the K1 that I somehow missed or is the K3 so much better even with a smaller sensor.

03-06-2022, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Probably simply a reflection of development costs and inflation.
The K-1ii has been around since 2018 and then it was just an update from a 2016 camera … prices have gone up!
… and yes, the K-3iii is very very good
03-06-2022, 11:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm assuming you're meaning K3iii vs K1ii, since those are the ones available new. A K3 (mark 1) is only available used at this point, and should be more like $300-500 or thereabouts, depending on source, condition, and accessories.

But for K3iii vs K1ii, yes, the K3iii is more expensive. It is much newer. The newest Pentax camera, in fact. It has much improved autofocus, a newer generation of sensor, new software, more advanced viewfinder tech (although the crop vs FF means it may not be better in absolute terms), and much much faster burst rate.

And yes, it's likely that there will be a K1 upgrade sometime in the not too distant future (on the glacial Pentax upgrade timescale, that is). Although none of us know for sure. When(/if) that happens, it's safe to expect it to be more expensive (probably much more) than the K3iii.
03-06-2022, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
I was looking at camera prices and noticed that the K3, an APS-C camera actually costs more on most sites, like Adorama, than the K1 Mark II. How can this be? Are we heading toward an update of the K1 that I somehow missed or is the K3 so much better even with a smaller sensor.
I like using this helpful tool

Pentax K-3 III vs. Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

03-06-2022, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Also factor in what are probably higher manufacturing and shipping costs today, and that the K1mkII's were most likely already on the shelves. And bear in mind that it was a little underpriced for what is was/is.
03-06-2022, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K1 and K1II were priced for market penetration, recovering profits from sales of new lenses, and at a time when Pentaxians were used to $1000 priced cameras.
The K3 III was priced later , aimed at users already equipped with apsc lenses and coming after Pentaxians got more used to $2000 cameras.
The next Pentax full frame (if there is one) will likely be priced much higher than the K1 because Pentaxians already having the full frame lenses are locked in the K mount.

---------- Post added 06-03-22 at 20:52 ----------

Camera manufacturing and shipping costs are about the same, regardless the format, prices are defined based on selling quantities. The lower the selling quantities, the higher the price.
03-06-2022, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Also factor in what are probably higher manufacturing and shipping costs today, and that the K1mkII's were most likely already on the shelves. And bear in mind that it was a little underpriced for what is was/is.
Rather than underpriced, the K-1 achieved its fantastic bang-for-buck by allocating the bill of materials very cleverly: the sensor itself was ~3-4 years old at the time, and since its readout is fairly slow, there was no need to make the electronics particularly modern (therefore expensive), or mechanically complex mirror/shutter assemblies capable of more than 6.5 fps. The AF was more or less taken out of the (by then 3-4 years old) K-3 with a handful of points to each side. Most of the "basic" operation of the K-1 is achieved with fairly inexpensive parts.

The R&D of the K-1 was the equivalent of taking an older beater car (that still gets the job done more than well enough) and tuning it with a lot of quality of life updates to make it a very fun ride. It's honestly quite impressive what they managed. And as someone whose PhD could be summarized as "nanomaterials on a shoestring budget", I have nothing but respect for that machine (and the development team, obviously).

Can't wait to see what they pull out of their sleeves for the next one. I just hope it is in a price range that lets me get *that* camera soonish after the DFA 21 .

03-06-2022, 02:50 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

How can this be?
The K-3III is newer and more sophisticated in many ways.

Are we heading toward an update of the K1 that I somehow missed
I so, you are not the only one who has been in the dark. None is rumored at this point.

or is the K3 so much better even with a smaller sensor.
Sensor size is about as good an indicator of "better" as pixel count or AF speed.

As for my needs, a K-3III purchase is not being actively considered due to lack of need and if my K-3 were to die, I would most likely replace with a K-3II. I may yet get a K-1II, but not because it is better, by strength of format alone, but because it may well be one of the best options for landscape photography in a relatively compact package out there.

Steve
03-06-2022, 03:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I expect we’ll see a replacement for the K-1ii in a year or so, if only because I imagine the supply of some vital electronic components will be low to exhausted by then. I would expect a jump in price of at least 50% for the replacement, over the K-1ii.

The other factor in price difference will be the continued contraction in the market.
03-06-2022, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Rather than underpriced, the K-1 achieved its fantastic bang-for-buck by allocating the bill of materials very cleverly: the sensor itself was ~3-4 years old at the time, and since its readout is fairly slow, there was no need to make the electronics particularly modern (therefore expensive), or mechanically complex mirror/shutter assemblies capable of more than 6.5 fps. The AF was more or less taken out of the (by then 3-4 years old) K-3 with a handful of points to each side. Most of the "basic" operation of the K-1 is achieved with fairly inexpensive parts.

The R&D of the K-1 was the equivalent of taking an older beater car (that still gets the job done more than well enough) and tuning it with a lot of quality of life updates to make it a very fun ride. It's honestly quite impressive what they managed. And as someone whose PhD could be summarized as "nanomaterials on a shoestring budget", I have nothing but respect for that machine (and the development team, obviously).

Can't wait to see what they pull out of their sleeves for the next one. I just hope it is in a price range that lets me get *that* camera soonish after the DFA 21 .
OK, smart analysis. But it was still priced on the low side IMO.
03-06-2022, 03:31 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

I so, you are not the only one who has been in the dark. None is rumored at this point.

Somewhat incorrect I think. We've had a number of rumors that one is somewhere in the pipeline.
03-06-2022, 03:57 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
OK, smart analysis. But it was still priced on the low side IMO.
I always thought it was underpriced for what it delivered. I would have gladly paid another $1,000 for that kind of quality and capability. Heck, I paid $2,699 for a Canon 5D Mark II 10 years earlier. The original K1 was/is a far superior image making machine to the 5D MKII, even to this day.
03-06-2022, 06:54 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I always thought it was underpriced for what it delivered. I would have gladly paid another $1,000 for that kind of quality and capability.
Better not let Ricoh know about that!
03-06-2022, 07:13 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I was looking at camera prices and noticed that the K3, an APS-C camera actually costs more on most sites, like Adorama, than the K1 Mark II. How can this be?
Not in Australia!
K-3iii at AUD2939 and K-1ii at AUD3399
Shop Digital SLR Online in Australia | Ricoh Australia
03-07-2022, 12:08 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmus Quote
Not in Australia!
K-3iii at AUD2939 and K-1ii at AUD3399
Shop Digital SLR Online in Australia | Ricoh Australia
We’re ahead of the curve. Great.

That’s a significant price rise since the launch of the K-3iii, and I don’t think exchange rates are to blame:
Attached Images