Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I have a drawer full of old K1000 and ME bodies. Those were the shipping containers the lenses came in.

12-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
LOL

Good point.
12-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Hi Violet,

We are practically neighbors, I'm in Hamden CT. The first DSLR in our house was an istD I bought my wife. She had a collection of manual K-mount lenses from her K-1000 and Ricoh film cameras. I was able to demonstrate some photos with one lens. The next day when I came home from work, she was frustrated that the shutter would not work on any lens she tried. It seems the one I tried had the aperture set to "A". It took me awhile to find the option to allow manual lenses to use Aperture Ring! As mentioned, there is no need to reset that option for automatic lenses. My wife was happy with her manual DSLR!
12-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Leo in Hamden.

Well I'm still fumbling my way through it all. We went up to Kent Falls yesterday so I could try it out with the kit lens and the Rokinon 80-200mm lens. I'm still working on getting the RAW files converted in the postprocessing. It looks like I may have some good shots.

Of course, my PSP X software doesn't work with the RAW files. And I'm not wild about the Pentax software that comes with the camera. So I just upgraded to PSP 12 Ultimate so we'll see how that goes.

I'm comfortable using PSP for setting up images for websites, blogs, etc. But I'm not expert in some of its more advanced functions. Someone pointed out Ron Bigelow's articles on another thread and they've been helpful (once I figure out the interpolation betweeen PS and PSP).

12-15-2008, 06:10 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Upgrade to PSP X2 Ultimate with the update button. I recently did and it lets me handle the raw files seamlessly. Upgrade is just 29.99 from Corel web site and can be downloaded and installed.
12-15-2008, 06:55 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Awhile back I updated to PSP 11 which is the first version to accept Pentax raw PEF files. Of course, Corel announced PSP 12 a week after I bought my upgrade!

I also use Images Plus which supports Pentax raw files in part because I asked the programmer if he would do so. Images Plus is mainly for astronomy but I sometimes use it for daytime photography. Mike Unsold is very responsive to customer requests. Now if he would just support Pentax camera control.....
12-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
The older lenses are quite heavy though..
Some are, to be sure, but the "M" and "A" series lenses are generally quite compact and lightweight. Since they are mostly metal rather than plastic, they are a little heavier than modern equivalents of the same size, but the small size of the "M" and "A" lenses often counteracts that. The 28, 35, 40, 50, and 100 (non macro) from the "M" series are all lighter than the kit lens.

Most of the older "K" series and the various Takumar / M42 lenses, and third party lenses are another matter entirely, though, sometimes weighing almost twice as much as the "M" version.
12-15-2008, 09:19 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Pictures from Kent Falls

A few shots from Kent Falls after the ice storm that rolled through most of New England this weekend including this corner of CT.

We called the view above Dog's Beard. Can you see why?
K200D with DA 18-55mm with Aperture Priority Auto
---

My daughter called this one Alien Landscape
K200D with Rokinon 80-200mm on Aperture Priority Auto
---

The ice coating was beautiful.
K200D with Rokinon 80-200mm on Aperture Priority Auto
---

This one I wish I could have a do over. I have 7 shots with 2 different lenses and this is the only one that's marginally okay. Of course, I was shooting into the sun at a scene that was quite some distance away. I cropped the foreground out. We pulled over to the side of the road to catch the sun all over these trees that were completely coated in ice and brilliantly glistening in the field. I rushed. I didn't think about my polarizer filter till afterwards. My Rokinon shots failed. This is the only 18-55mm Pentax shot that worked.

There's a couple more shots here.

Last edited by Violet; 12-16-2008 at 05:37 PM.
12-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Hello,

Kent Falls in the Winter! We have been there in the Spring and Fall. I called my wife in the room to see your slide show since we have photographed that park often. She loved Dogs Beard! She has a Rokinon lens from her K1000 days. There are so many things to photograpgh alongside Route 7 between Kent and Cornwall!

All these were taken with my K100D and the two kit lenses.
Attached Images

12-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have that picture of Bulls Bridge too. And I've always meant to stop and shoot the animal sculptures. And we were debating whether those were llamas or alpacas and what the difference was between them on Saturday.

Here's a Flickr set of Kent Falls pictures that's a mixture of pics shot with the K200D and with my Kodak P&S.
12-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #26
Moderator PEG Judges

Them elephants look a bit slim to me, owners need reporting to animal wellfare folk.
12-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Violet Quote
That is uncanny, we were standing at the same spot when we took our photos of the bridge. The branches look the same even though mine was taken in April.

I enjoyed your expanded Kent Falls slide show.

I think that is a llama but have no expertise in that area.

Could someone who knows the difference tell us if this is an alpaca or llama trying to kiss my wife?
Attached Images

12-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Them elephants look a bit slim to me, owners need reporting to animal wellfare folk.
The property is covered with all sorts of large wild animal statues. We were a bit nervous to enter the driveway and a fellow came out of a barn and invited us in. He showed us his workshop, arcwelding equipment, and work in progress. In another building his wife has a showroom of her smaller scale dogs and cats. Both were very nice even though we arrived unannounced and the art was way out of our price range.