Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 65 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2022, 12:49 AM   #31
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's not actually accurate. We have hundreds of K-5 images taken with the 55-300. As long as you're happy with shooting wide open (which at 300mm is ƒ6.3) you get good images.
I guess it depends on how you define "works" or "compatible". You can certainly get fine images out of it if you can work around that restriction.

For what it's worth, Ricoh themselves say the following about KAF4 compatibility - they ought to add K-3 III to the list.

USAGE NOTE:
This lens features a KAF4 lens mount compatible with an electromagnetic diaphragm control system. Cameras compatible with this system are K-1 Mark II, KP, K-70, K-1, K-3 II, K-3, K-S2, K-S1 and K-50. For K-1, K-3 II, K-3, K-S2, K-S1 and K-50, the camera’s firmware must be upgraded to the latest version. If this lens is mounted on a camera without proper firmware upgrade, its diaphragm control mechanism becomes inactive, making it impossible to obtain correct exposure.

03-09-2022, 01:24 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mooksf Quote
Hi all,

Thanks again for all the input,

I ended up going for the K5 with the two lenses, as it is in excellent condition with less than 7k shutter count vs the K3 with 20k and the 18-55. As I'm ordering it from MPB I have a bit more faith that even the older camera will be in solid condition.

I understand the point of view to stretch my budget and go for the K-3, K-70 etc. but my current thinking is that if the K-5 should serve me well on a budget for my use case which I should have specified earlier is pretty basic as of now: Travel, Street, Family snaps.

If I do end up falling in love with the system, which I think I will from what I've read about the cameras and the premium build quality, I will then save up and use the spare cash once I sell my Olympus em1 mk II to go for a more modern body if I feel the need to, and choose between the KP or K-3 II/III.

Will let you know how I get on one it arrives tomorrow!
Congrats on your incoming K-5! Less than 7K shutter count? It's barely broken-in I've not used MPB, but I know they have a good reputation here in the UK. I'd say you've bought well And I'm sure you're going to love that DA40 Limited... It's as pancakey as a pancakey thing can be, really nicely built, and the image quality is lovely... Enjoy!!
03-09-2022, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I look forward to seeing your images. Consider taking part in Single In or Daily In, it's just for fun but it provides impetus for taking pix every day, and that helps build familiarity and proficiency with gear very quickly.
03-09-2022, 05:28 AM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

@mooksf

enjoy your photography

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
. . .. And I'm sure you're going to love that DA40 Limited... It's as pancakey as a pancakey thing can be, really nicely built, and the image quality is lovely... Enjoy!!
I have to agree with most of that but in reality, the 40mm F2.8 Limited is bulky

QuoteQuote:
Diam x Length 63 x 15 mm (2.5 x 0.6 in.) Weight 90 g (3.2 oz.)
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

compared to the best lens in its class [ of 1 ] the 40mm XS

QuoteQuote:
Diam x Length 62.9 x 9.2 mm (2.5 x 0.36 in.) Weight 52 g (1.8 oz.)
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

having said that the Limited is a great lens

hope you decide to post some photos here at the forums

some threads you might want to consider:

QuoteQuote:
The DA Limited Club
The DA Limited Club - Page 385 - PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
Pancake lens club
Pancake lens club - Page 13 - PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
the Pentax 40mm and 43mm Lens Club
the Pentax 40mm and 43mm Lens Club - Page 18 - PentaxForums.com

03-09-2022, 06:11 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect you will enjoy the camera. That 16mp sensor is a great one and the output will be very good. It handles high iso very well as well. Enjoy!
03-09-2022, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
guess it depends on how you define "works" or "compatible". You can certainly get fine images out of it if you can work around that restriction.
Work around? Too funny. Put lens on camera, take picture. Where's the work around? To be a work around doesn't it have to cause some work? I shoot over 80% of my images at ƒ5.6 or ƒ8.... shooting at ƒ4.5-6.3 is not an issue. It's all within my normal shooting range.

Looking forward to seeing some images, too me it looks perfect.... the Pentax 18-55 was one of the best kit lenses of it's time. The 40 will give you excellent images to help you decide if you want better than kit, but, a few years ago a guy took flickr's users choice with a K-x and DA 18-55. You can do award winning photography with that kit, and the K-5 gives you crop room over that combo.

I suspect you'll have a great time once you understand the basic camera functions. This will be a great starter kit. If I were you, the first thing I'd look at would be a DA 55-300, one of the older ones, not the PLM, used, just to expand your range. One of those shouldn't blow your budget. But it looks like you'll have what you want for immediate use. My limit for ISO on this camera would be 1600 ISO straight up, or 800 ISO at -.7 EV, which is my preferred high end setting. But like any camera for the best images, 100 ISO is your friend, although 200 ISO is pretty safe.

Last edited by normhead; 03-09-2022 at 01:22 PM.
03-09-2022, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

I ended up going for the K5 with the two lenses, as it is in excellent condition with less than 7k shutter count
Excellent, congratulations!
Enjoy your new camera and don't trouble yourself too much with technical comparisons, what-ifs, should-haves and general regrets!
If/when you feel a limiitation from that very nice body, it will be time to upgrade as you say
Feel free to post some pics later, we're always happy to discuss "photos" instead of "gear" every once in a while!

03-09-2022, 07:50 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VictorDA Quote
Feel free to post some pics later, we're always happy to discuss "photos" instead of "gear" every once in a while!
+1 or even 1,000 !
03-09-2022, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #39
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I ended up going for the K5 with the two lenses, as it is in excellent condition with less than 7k shutter count
Congratulations. Enjoy the new kit. As you can see there is plenty of help available here if you have any questions.
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Looking at your excellent koala photo, it does indeed seem rather noisy and a bit washed-out at maximum reproduction size - but, respectfully, I wonder if you might be able to squeeze even more out of it.
That's a very interesting post Mike. I think this topic is worthy of a whole thread discussion. BTW, if anyone is interested I am happy to make the RAW file of the koala image available (it's a serious challenge!). There is still much development in NR software and much to learn.

Last edited by Des; 03-09-2022 at 02:01 PM.
03-09-2022, 08:14 PM   #40
Pentaxian

If I do end up falling in love with the system, which I think I will from what I've read about the cameras and the premium build quality, I will then save up and use the spare cash once I sell my Olympus em1 mk II to go for a more modern body if I feel the need to, and choose between the KP or K-3 II/III.

Now I'm completely confused. I like my K-5, but that might be partly because I don't have an OMD EM1-ii. Of course a dslr is different than mirrorless, but I'm just not understanding moving from an EM1-ii to a K-5.
03-09-2022, 08:17 PM   #41
Pentaxian

The k5 with the DA40+18-55 for 210 is an absolute steal and a great starter pentax kit. It'll probably leave something to be desired long term but I'd have loved to start on that.
03-09-2022, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Now I'm completely confused. I like my K-5, but that might be partly because I don't have an OMD EM1-ii. Of course a dslr is different than mirrorless, but I'm just not understanding moving from an EM1-ii to a K-5.
- Tried Fujifilm, nice cameras but felt like I was not getting my moneys worth for how much I paid for the gear also EVF was not great. Sold and lost a bit on this.
- Got a M4/3 system as a friend insisted I'll love it. Size of the system and images were good, I just could not stand the EVF again and decided once and for all I can't use a mirrorless due to them.
Emphasis mine.
Looks like OP knows what they likes, having given the alternative a (very) fair chance.

Congrats on the purchase @mooksf !

Let us know how you like it when it arrives. And ask any questions that come up, we love to help.
03-09-2022, 09:14 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ended up going for the K5 with the two lenses, as it is in excellent condition with less than 7k shutter count vs the K3 with 20k and the 18-55
Both 7k and 20k are extremely low for this class of DSLR cameras. The K-5 series is a great handling design with an exceptionally well-placed control layout. For a far better all-around but fine-performing zoom lens over the 18-55mm, I highly recommend to consider getting the DA 18-135mm WR lens. It would be ideal as a single lens for the uses you describe. Its imaging and especially its excellent AF performance on any of the Pentax bodies, but especially the K-5, since the main upgrade of the K-5 II was in AF performance. The original K-5 sometimes had AF issues with some lenses, and the DA 18-55mm is known for AF that is not always accurate nor is it among the fastest on any camera body, though a good lens for what it is. The build of the DA 18-135mm lens is miles better, and yet it is remarkably compact for its zoom range. I still have my K-5 original and can testify with this lens on it, one is hard-pressed to tell if one is shooting with it on the K-5, K-5 II, or the definitely-AF-improved KP! I've had this lens for over 10 years and have used it on many Pentax bodies, all with great results. Not macro, but it can even do very fine closeups. You can get an idea of its capabilities in the lens discussion section of the forum in the thread- "DA 18-135mm WR, Show us what it can do" and start with the last page (most recent) and work backwards.

Perhaps your camera will come with the owners manual, but if not you can download it free from the Ricoh/Pentax website. When you get the camera, it might be a good idea to do a reset to factory standard of all settings, unless that was assuredly already done by the seller.

If you intend to shoot highest quality JPEGs, at least until you familiarize yourself with the camera, I recommend implementing "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, at least in the most often-used "Bright" category. There are 4 buttons surrounding the ok button. The one to the right is a direct link to the Custom Image menus. Once you bring this up, the 4 buttons will serve to navigate. Once in the "Bright" category, you can scroll down to the Sharpening adjustments. In this category, the Sharpening level is by default up by +1. With the K-5 series, I like to increase one more notch to +2 level. Then you can implement Fine Sharpening as well by using your thumb dial to put an F by the S. Once that is done, just hit ok, then again ok, and you'll be back to normal screen conditions or just shut off the camera.

You will, I'm sure, enjoy using the exclusive and unique Pentax Hyper System. If in the P mode, which is often useful, and you would rather have a different shutter speed or aperture than what the camera has chosen, just go ahead and choose your preference by using the rear thumb or the front finger dial, and the camera will simply instantly obey. You are now in Hyper Program operation. The first click will freeze the current value, further clicks will change the value. This switches the camera instantly into either Tv or Av operation without having to first change the mode dial before making your change. A touch of the green button instantly restores full P automation.

If using the M (Manual) mode, instead of the usual twirling of controls to adjust aperture and shutter speed to achieve a meter-centered exposure setting, you can just hit the green button and this will be achieved instantly. You are now in Hyper Manual mode. This is also great for quickly taking spot meter readings around a scene. If you then would rather have a different aperture or shutter speed, first hit the AE-L button to lock your exposure, then go ahead and choose your preference and the other will follow along to preserve your exposure value. The Pentax Hyper System is the fastest operating system out there for making quick adjustments on the fly.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-09-2022 at 10:44 PM.
03-10-2022, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #44

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Yeah I know it doesn't make sense on paper haha, but I just could not stand the EVF with mirrorless cameras it really bothers my eyes after a while and also in this day and age the last thing I want is to look at screens more than I already do. Everything else about the Olympus I do like, but that in the end was a deal breaker.

Also, I have realised I'm not too concerned about the specs as long as its good enough for my needs, the feel of the camera for me at least is more important as I'm not a professional.
03-10-2022, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #45
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
That's a very interesting post Mike. I think this topic is worthy of a whole thread discussion. BTW, if anyone is interested I am happy to make the RAW file of the koala image available (it's a serious challenge!). There is still much development in NR software and much to learn.
I'd love to have a crack at that koala image, Des. I like a challenge!! I can PM you my e-mail address or a link to a Google Drive folder, or else please let me know where to download it from