Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 65 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2022, 05:44 AM - 3 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Now I'm completely confused. I like my K-5, but that might be partly because I don't have an OMD EM1-ii. Of course a dslr is different than mirrorless, but I'm just not understanding moving from an EM1-ii to a K-5.
DxO mark score for the OM-D E-M1 MkII is 80 with a DR score of 12.8
For the Pentax the score is 82 with a DR score of 14.1

SO the difference in DR is 1.3 stops.

The technical specs don't favour the Olympus, although past experience would suggest differences of less than 5 are meaningless. But if your main concern is IQ, you might want to goto the Pentax straight up. As the physics would suggest, the Olympus costs you a stop and a half of DR.

The Olympus picks it up with a higher ISO value, but no where near a stop.

So just looking at DxOmarks scores, that's what comes to mind. With cameras so close in their scores, other reasons beside IQ will make a difference, and OVF instead of EVF is certainly one of them. You don't lose anything going to a K-5 in terms of IQ. The Olympuses 20 MP sensor kicking out higher ISO performance but less Dynamic Range would suggest a whole lot of anti-noise baking is going on in the Olympus.

This just from looking at the DxOmark specs. They suggest you might not gain much going to a K-5, but you're also not losing anything, so if an Optical viewfinder is the deciding factor, it's pretty much a no brainer, especially given current prices. If you're thinking the higher Dynamic range, doesn't mean much, I notice the difference between my K-3 and K-5, so that could also be factor. But, I suspect soon, the OP will be the expert on the topic, owning both cameras.

He'll know about the actual use of the cameras, which can't be determined from a spec. sheet.

Last edited by normhead; 03-10-2022 at 07:24 AM.
03-10-2022, 08:16 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like photons to photos data better than DXO. I also like their analysis of DXO data. Both data types on photons to photos suggests the delta to the em1-2 is about 2/3-3/4 not even a full EV - and if you compare at iso 200 the em-1-2 is 1/2 a stop better. I can’t speak to either camera directly but I did own the em-1-1, gx-8, gx-7 and k-3. The photons to photos data there suggested the k-3 has a slight edge in dynamic range at the base iso but gave the gx-8 a slight edge in low light. The differences were at most 1 at the base iso. My own shots bear this out. Some landscapes taken with m43 had slightly less dynamic range but they images were quite acceptable - particularly printed. Output quality wasn’t my issue with m43 - it was simply being overextended into too many systems.
03-10-2022, 12:54 PM - 3 Likes   #48

Original Poster
Hi all,

Just received it today and took it out for a a session with the 18-55 kit lens. Took a second to get used to a slower camera but was completely fine after a while. Still quite a learning curve to get fully used to it though, but overall really happy with my purchase as it feels much bette in hand than the K-70 I tried in store.

So far just playing around with files in Capture one, dynamic range is impressive considering the age of the camera and it is not a step down at all from the Olympus I had, and not too far off the Fuji. Very happy with the IQ and the jpeg colours are very clean.

Few snaps shot today in Berlin (Not Magnum photography level I know haha), also my flicker if you're interested where I'll continue to post photos: mooksf | Flickr
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-10-2022, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #49
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mooksf Quote
Just received it today and took it out for a a session with the 18-55 kit lens. Took a second to get used to a slower camera but was completely fine after a while. Still quite a learning curve to get fully used to it though, but overall really happy with my purchase...

So far just playing around with files in Capture one, dynamic range is impressive considering the age of the camera and it is not a step down at all from the Olympus I had, and not too far off the Fuji. Very happy with the IQ and the jpeg colours are very clean.
I'm thrilled you're happy with your new camera. Any doubts I might have had weren't to do with image quality - I know the K-5 delivers on that... but any "new to you" camera can be hit or miss in terms of the overall user experience, depending on one's individual preferences and expectations. If you're generally happy from your initial experience with the K-5, I think you'll "get" Pentax overall.

Oh, and nice shots, BTW! Many years since I was last in Berlin. It's an awesome city As kit lenses go, the DA18-55 is a decent one. There's a lot you can do with it. I think you'll find the DA40 Limited quite special, though... and then, in time, the rabbit hole beckons

03-10-2022, 04:02 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dynamic range is impressive considering the age
The K-5 series was well ahead of the times in terms of this and in other respects, and still very much respected for DR even now. Nice shots! Not bad for just a kit lens, indeed! I have no doubt you will appreciate its handling and controls even more as you become more acquainted with the K-5. At such low usage by the previous owner, you essentially have a new camera!
03-10-2022, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

I lived with my kit lens for my D*ist for 3 or four years, still some of my favourite images.
03-11-2022, 12:43 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Very happy with the IQ and the jpeg colours are very clean.
Few snaps shot today in Berlin
Good for you
I didn't realise before you were in EU, just thought you were in US like the rest of them
Nice first shots, I assume you kept them quite dark/dense on purpose?
Should you need any technical help with the camera later on, you can always come back here!

03-11-2022, 08:28 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any of these 3 camera bodies, be it a K5, a K3 or a K3 III, perform really well. You can adjust a lot of shooting parameters when using the JPEG mode. Personally, after using Auto-exposure film cameras for 40 years, I set the camera in Aperture-priority mode, use mainly f/8 (I vary between f/5.6 and f/11, for real) and I set a "VIBRANT" color palette to obtain punchy colors in landscape photography. Below are examples taken with each of the above mentionned cameras :

1) K5 + HD DA 55-300 mm f/4-5.8 ED WR, 300 mm FL, 1/180 sec @ f/8 with the built-in flash.

2) K3 + FA* 80-200 mm f/2.8 on tripod, 200 mm FL, 1/500 sec @ f/8.

3) K3 III + DA 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 ED, 88 mm FL, 1/125 sec @ f/11.

03-13-2022, 01:10 AM   #54

Original Poster
Thanks all! yeah I kept it dark and moody just cause I loved how the images felt, bit of raw editing on Capture one.

Really happy with it so far, I have yet to try the 40mm Limited that will be done soon. Also will look to pick up a wide angle prime for every day use like the 21mm, although the 20-40mm zoom does look like an interesting pick too since it has the WR, as my favourite focal lengths are 35mm or 50mm Full frame equivalent.
03-13-2022, 01:23 AM - 2 Likes   #55
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks all! yeah I kept it dark and moody just cause I loved how the images felt, bit of raw editing on Capture one.

Really happy with it so far, I have yet to try the 40mm Limited that will be done soon. Also will look to pick up a wide angle prime for every day use like the 21mm, although the 20-40mm zoom does look like an interesting pick too since it has the WR, as my favourite focal lengths are 35mm or 50mm Full frame equivalent.
The DA20-40 has a lot of fans here. Personally, I prefer the DA21... It's not WR, of course, but that aside it's just a really nice, compact lens that renders very well indeed - undoubtedly my favourite of the DA Limiteds (though they're all good in different ways)...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-13-2022 at 01:38 AM.
03-13-2022, 03:09 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also will look to pick up a wide angle prime for every day use like the 21mm, although the 20-40mm zoom does look like an interesting pick too since it has the WR
The DA 21mm Ltd is certainly a compact wonder. But I find I use it less since having the DA 20-40mm Ltd, which is a bit faster and wider at 20mm, and of course WR, so the very small 21mm Ltd is just when I want a very small lens that is still very versatile.

However, for versatility with fine quality, it's hard to beat the DA 18-135mm WR. Another excellent quality example above by RICHARD L. It mates well with the K-5 for handling. Mine sits mounted on my K-5 IIs right now. It virtually solves any AF shortcomings of the original K-5 (though it cannot make it equal to the K-3 III and DA* 16-50mm PLM for burst shooting and AF tracking of fast moving subjects). On the K-5, as well as on other bodies, AF from the DA 18-135mm WR is quick, silent, and sure. Price is reasonable for its build, zoom range, and performance. Some people have had it develop zoom creep when carrying it hanging down. Mine never has, but then I don't carry my camera in this manner. It stays in my holster case until I need to draw it out for shooting.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-13-2022 at 03:23 PM.