Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 65 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2022, 01:17 AM   #1

Picking up first Pentax - need help deciding

Hi all,

I’m trying to decide between the following on MPB:
-Pentax K5 at 210 bucks (with 18-55 and 40mm limited)
Total of 435 USD

Or

- K3 classic at 480 (18-55 to go with)
Total of 520 USD

I picked up a k70 in store, which I can pick up for 400 USD (no warranty) and although I liked the lower weight it just felt a tad cramped for my taste.

Thanks!

03-08-2022, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the now ten years old K-5, and to me it leaves nothing to desire. Of course the K-3 is newer, but still not very new. An alternative would be to go for a much newer body, and the much higher cost that would follow.
I'd go for the K-5, enjoy the extra lens and use the saved bucks for another lens (or pizza, or a month of beers at the local bar...)

Kjell
03-08-2022, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

Both of the kits you mention are good options. The K-3 is definitely an upgrade from the K-5 in terms of resolution, AF, dual SD card slots, etc. - but the K-5 is no slouch and better for video if you should ever want to use it in that way. I own both cameras and enjoy using them equally.

Choosing between those two deals, I think I'd probably go with the K-5 + 18-55 + DA40 Limited, mainly for that DA40 lens which is a peach... The 18-55 is always going to be a good general use lens, but the DA40 Limited offers a real step up in image quality, and it's better in low light due to the f/2.8 maximum aperture. It's a little gem. You'd have a lot of fun with it, I think, and take some beautiful photos...
03-08-2022, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

here is a side by side comparison

Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

both of your choices were the " flagship " models of their day and remain capable today

take a look at the difference between them and decide if any matter to you

regardless of your choice I recommend you get the appropriate Ebook

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-5 / K-5 II eBook

Lifetime download access to Yvon Bourque's comprehensive Pentax K-5 / K-5 II guidebook! (PDF) Download here after purchasing
QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-3 / K-3 II eBook

Lifetime download access to Yvon Bourque's comprehensive Pentax K-3 / K-3 II guidebook! (PDF) Download here after purchasing
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/donations/

you can use this to help compare sizes

Compare camera dimensions side by side

40mm limited lens with the K 5 might be the determining factor if I was making the decision however

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-08-2022 at 02:50 AM.
03-08-2022, 02:39 AM - 5 Likes   #5
JPT
Pentaxian

The last few lenses that Pentax has released all use the KAF4 protocol, and the K-5 only supports up to KAF3. I had a K-5 IIs, which has the same limitation and I was not able to by the fast-focusing 55-300mm PLM lens I wanted until I got a new camera. On the other had, with the most recent firmware update, the K-3 can use even the most recent lenses.

So even though the K-5 is a great camera in itself, and would work fine with the lenses you are considering, the K-3 is the more future-proof option.

Specifically, the lenses that work on the K-3 but not the K-5 are:

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE
HD Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED PLM AW
HD Pentax-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR
HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW
HD Pentax-D FA* 85mm F1.4 SDM AW
HD Pentax-D FA 21mm F2.4 ED Limited DC WR

I think it's reasonable to assume any new lenses Pentax comes out with will be KAF4, because it's the latest specification.

It's any camera released since 2013 that can handle the new lenses as far as I know.
03-08-2022, 02:47 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
I'd go for the K-5, enjoy the extra lens and use the saved bucks for another lens
I agree with both contibutors above.
I used a K-5 for 5 years and loved it. When it was lost, I got a K-3II (pretty similar to the K-3 you are eyeing). Even though the newer camera had some more recent features, none were very significant to my practice.
The increased resolution? For me at least, it did not result in more pleasing pictures at normal viewing sizes (on screen or paper).
Today I have a K-1 but still feel a bit of nostalgia for that K-5. It just worked for me. Can't go wrong with a K-5.

Regarding the lenses, I would suggest skipping the 18-55 and getting a 18-135 instead. The $90 "savings" vs K-3 should probably cover the price difference between 18-55 and 18-135 (in EU, it is generally found for about $140-150).
It offers many advantages (better AF, range, image quality). But of course we know nothing of your photographic practice or intent.

---------- Post added 08-03-22 at 10:51 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
the K-3 is the more future-proof option
Completely true indeed.
But considering the budget range proposed by the OP, I very much doubt they will acquire any of these lenses very soon (save for the 55-300 maybe, for which alternatives exist); so it does not seem to be such a real limitation in practice?
03-08-2022, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

some helpful charts:

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

and a very helpful section of the forums

QuoteQuote:
Useful Pentax/Photo Resources, About
This section is intended to help you with any basic questions you may have about Pentax or photography, as well as technical issues you may be experiencing with your gear. Newbies are welcome here! Feel free to ask any question, no matter now simple (or seemingly obvious), but please post each question in a separate thread!

Thanks, and enjoy this section! I hope you find it useful.
Useful Pentax/Photo Resources, About - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

03-08-2022, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mooksf Quote
Hi all,
I’m trying to decide between the following on MPB:
-Pentax K5 at 210 bucks (with 18-55 and 40mm limited)
Total of 435 USD
Or
- K3 classic at 480 (18-55 to go with)
Total of 520 USD
I picked up a k70 in store, which I can pick up for 400 USD (no warranty) and although I liked the lower weight it just felt a tad cramped for my taste.
Thanks!

I've owned and used my K-5 since 2014 … it's a fine camera, but the lack of focus peaking in LiveView can be an issue if you want to work like that.
I upgraded to a K-70 for the increase in resolution … there's a whole world of difference between 16 and 24 MPixels if you have the want/need to crop your images and the increased low-light sensitivity can be helpful if you need it.
I'll agree the K-70 can feel cramped … possibly it's only real shortcoming … you can get used to it and the fully articulated screen can be very useful on occasion.
I've no experience of the original K-3, but would suggest using the feature comparison page on this web-site here Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com to help your choice.
Good luck
03-08-2022, 03:06 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a similar kit for 5 years and was very pleased I even won a few contests using that gear, The K-5 with those two lenses will keep you happy for quite a while, a very good zoom and a great prime lens, you will be ready for most situations. The K-5 allows you to really become familiar with and control all the factors that go into making a good image.
The savings could be put towards a lot of great lenses available here on PF marketplace after you learn to use the gear you'll own with this lot.

Last edited by robgski; 03-08-2022 at 03:13 AM.
03-08-2022, 03:24 AM - 6 Likes   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
I have the now ten years old K-5, and to me it leaves nothing to desire. Of course the K-3 is newer, but still not very new. An alternative would be to go for a much newer body, and the much higher cost that would follow.
I'd go for the K-5, enjoy the extra lens and use the saved bucks for another lens (or pizza, or a month of beers at the local bar...)

Kjell
Thanks for your reply, this looks like a good option considering its my first Pentax to see if I will end top loving the system before investing more into it.

---------- Post added 03-08-22 at 03:35 AM ----------

So much info, definitely the most helpful photography forum Ive been on!
Judging by the replies I'll look to get the K5 and lenses to save some money first with the flexibility of having a good prime, and if I end up loving the system could look to the K3-III in the future when prices drop hopefully.

For some background if you guys are interested this is my camera history and how I ended wanting to try Pentax:
- I learned on a family members canon 5d Mark II great images but too big he has a couple of L zooms, and canon don't seem to put much effort into smaller or APSC line. They just feel cheap and half-assed.
- Tried Fujifilm, nice cameras but felt like I was not getting my moneys worth for how much I paid for the gear also EVF was not great. Sold and lost a bit on this.
- Got a M4/3 system as a friend insisted I'll love it. Size of the system and images were good, I just could not stand the EVF again and decided once and for all I can't use a mirrorless due to them.

Did a lot of looking and it seems like Pentax are committed to DSLR and OVFs so I thought its worth giving a shot.

Thanks for all the suggestions and resources!

---------- Post added 03-08-22 at 03:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VictorDA Quote
I agree with both contibutors above.
I used a K-5 for 5 years and loved it. When it was lost, I got a K-3II (pretty similar to the K-3 you are eyeing). Even though the newer camera had some more recent features, none were very significant to my practice.
The increased resolution? For me at least, it did not result in more pleasing pictures at normal viewing sizes (on screen or paper).
Today I have a K-1 but still feel a bit of nostalgia for that K-5. It just worked for me. Can't go wrong with a K-5.

Regarding the lenses, I would suggest skipping the 18-55 and getting a 18-135 instead. The $90 "savings" vs K-3 should probably cover the price difference between 18-55 and 18-135 (in EU, it is generally found for about $140-150).
It offers many advantages (better AF, range, image quality). But of course we know nothing of your photographic practice or intent.

---------- Post added 08-03-22 at 10:51 ----------

Completely true indeed.
But considering the budget range proposed by the OP, I very much doubt they will acquire any of these lenses very soon (save for the 55-300 maybe, for which alternatives exist); so it does not seem to be such a real limitation in practice?
I think Ill just dip my toe into the system with the K5 and these two lenses, and then from there if I do love it, will consider the K-3 II / III in future. As from all your suggestions, the K5 should be more then sufficient for travel photography and some family stuff.
03-08-2022, 04:01 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

So much info, definitely the most helpful photography forum Ive been on!
That's nice of you to say so... and I'd agree. I've been hanging around here since 2010, and although Pentax isn't the only brand I shoot, this is the only forum website where I'm frequently active. Folks here are, by and large, a friendly and very helpful bunch, and I've learned so much from them - not just about gear, but fundamentals and technique too. We're fortunate to have some very knowledgeable members who are generous in sharing that knowledge. This community is a major reason why I keep shooting Pentax

Judging by the replies I'll look to get the K5 and lenses to save some money first with the flexibility of having a good prime, and if I end up loving the system could look to the K3-III in the future when prices drop hopefully.
I think that's a good strategy. The K-5 is a good, solid body that does everything you need, and it has depreciated in value to bargain level now. You could buy it, shoot it for a year and most likely sell it for not much less than you paid (there's always a market for good, functional bodies). Plus, as I already mentioned, that DA40 Limited is a little gem. That's one you'd want to hang on to even if you later upgrade to a K-3III...

For some background if you guys are interested this is my camera history and how I ended wanting to try Pentax:
- I learned on a family members canon 5d Mark II great images but too big he has a couple of L zooms, and canon don't seem to put much effort into smaller or APSC line. They just feel cheap and half-assed.
- Tried Fujifilm, nice cameras but felt like I was not getting my moneys worth for how much I paid for the gear also EVF was not great. Sold and lost a bit on this.
- Got a M4/3 system as a friend insisted I'll love it. Size of the system and images were good, I just could not stand the EVF again and decided once and for all I can't use a mirrorless due to them.

Did a lot of looking and it seems like Pentax are committed to DSLR and OVFs so I thought its worth giving a shot.

Thanks for all the suggestions and resources!
It's always good to hear of others who "get" the whole OVF experience. It vindicates Ricoh's commitment to DSLRs, something many of us here support. I shoot both DSLR and mirrorless cameras (Pentax for DSLR, Sony for mirrorless) and whilst I appreciate the different advantages of each, overall I prefer shooting through an OVF. It just suits me so much better.

Good luck and do let us know if you get that K-5 (or the K-3 )...
03-08-2022, 04:24 AM - 2 Likes   #12
JPT
Pentaxian

Given what you said above, I think the K-5 will suit you fine as a start. I just wanted to make sure you understood that point about lens compatability before choosing.

In fact I chose a K-5 model over the K-3 because I preferred the feel of it slightly and because it was cheaper.

If you want to know what Pentax is about, then getting a distinctive lens like the DA 40mm is a good idea. It's not the kind of lens that I have on my camera by default, but when I bring it out for a shot it never gets me down.
03-08-2022, 04:28 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
. . . Plus, as I already mentioned, that DA40 Limited is a little gem. That's one you'd want to hang on to even if you later upgrade to a K-3III...
the " problem " with the DA40 Limited is that it is a " Limited "

and some of us cannot say no once we get one and we want to get more " limited " lenses

the originals

FA 31, FA 43 and FA 77 [ both SMC and HD versions]

and newer

DA 15, DA 21, DA 35 macro, DA 40, DA 70, DA 20-40 [ both SMC and HD versions]
03-08-2022, 04:52 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the " problem " with the DA40 Limited is that it is a " Limited "

and some of us cannot say no once we get one and we want to get more " limited " lenses
Guilty as charged I've avoided the temptation with the FA Limiteds thus far, but the HD DA Limiteds - every one of them - are the core of my K-mount glass collection
03-08-2022, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

If I am buying used I would be wanting to know how many shutter activations are on each camera. A camera closer to the end of its shutter cycle is worth a lot less then the age or model when comparing two close flagship cameras or any similar camera. If buying just because of a certain lens then it doesn't matter as much.