Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Amazing,very creative and may be a nice ad. for Pentax. Thanks for sharing Mike.

cheers,

rene

02-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
As promised, I am back to post some more photos from our recent flight of ASTRO-12. This time we flew the mission with the Pentax 10-17 fisheye (at 10mm of course) on the k10d. First a picture, and then the story...

Oklahoma from 98,514 ft. Picture is "defished"

Fabulous shot PentaxPoke, absolutely spectacular. Perhaps it maybe a good idea to post these capture in the other forum,to lighten up the mood and negate the negative atmosphere that is creeping there. With blame the camera syndrome if they cannot take good pictures from a Pentax, your shots might just inject an antidote to the trolls. Thanks for sharing.

cheers,

rene

Last edited by Rener; 02-10-2009 at 03:45 PM.
02-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #48
Forum Member

I don't know man... I'm seein a very blatant disregard for the fundamental rules of photographic composition here.

j/k... can't believe I hadn't seen either of these before. Great idea, great story and some awesome photos.

And it makes me a little proud to be Pentaxian.
02-11-2009, 03:05 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
Fabulous shot PentaxPoke, absolutely spectacular. Perhaps it maybe a good idea to post these capture in the other forum,to lighten up the mood and negate the negative atmosphere that is creeping there. With blame the camera syndrome if they cannot take good pictures from a Pentax, your shots might just inject an antidote to the trolls. Thanks for sharing.

cheers,

rene
Thanks Rene. This is the only forum where I posted the story. I was not really interested in doing so on the "other" forum. I find this forum so much more friendly and helpful, with people truly excited about photography as well as their Pentax gear. (Also the software running this forum is vastly more advanced technically, and easier to navigate and READ.)

After I posted the story here, someone else posted a link there about the story. It generated very little interest, and then the thread died within a day. Presumably so they could go back to arguing about FF vs. APS-C

QuoteOriginally posted by jak442 Quote
I don't know man... I'm seein a very blatant disregard for the fundamental rules of photographic composition here.
j/k... can't believe I hadn't seen either of these before. Great idea, great story and some awesome photos.
And it makes me a little proud to be Pentaxian.
Thanks Jak. If I had any control over it at all, I would have tried to compose the horizon and the sun with the rule of thirds. Maybe next time I'll get lucky.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 02-11-2009 at 03:29 AM.
02-11-2009, 03:25 AM   #50
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is stunning! I'll link your pictures in a french forum where everyone is also whining about their Pentax gear.
02-11-2009, 03:57 AM   #51

Is great to see the earth with fisheye, thanks for the photos..
02-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #52

These are just amazing. I'm waiting for the Craigslist auction though. For Sale: Pentax k10d. Excellent condition. Some meteoroid cratering.
02-27-2009, 04:08 AM   #53
Inactive Account

Hello from Pentax Croatia!
I have stumbled upon this topic while doing research about astrophotography and Pentax and was amazed!

02-27-2009, 04:26 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that's impressive! I remember someone was questioning the EM shielding of the K10D at the other forum, I guess usability in space should put that worry to rest?
02-27-2009, 05:34 AM   #55
Forum Member

thanks for share these great pictures
03-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #56

Students Take Space Photos With Simple Latex Balloon and Digi-Cam

A group of students in Spain recently did one with a Nikon P&S.

Images are of course, no comparison.

Last edited by boom; 03-20-2009 at 10:24 PM.
03-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #57
Damn Brit

Excellent work yet again. Pentax should really be getting behind stuff like this, at the least they could supply the balloons with a big PENTAX printed on them.
03-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mind boggling images..Bravo!
03-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #59
A Proud PENTAXER !!!
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
This time we flew the mission with the Pentax 10-17 fisheye (at 10mm of course) on the k10d.
Oklahoma from 98,514 ft. Picture is "defished"
I am curious about the "defishing".

To my eyes, the earth's curvature is distorted - it seems too curved just to the right
of center, and/or too straight(ish) to the sides (especially to the left side).

Is the image cropped asymmetrically (showing more to the left and less to the right)?

Can the amoiunt of "defishing" be adjusted?

Could you post an "un-defished" original?

I think that the lens flare is actually rather nice in this photo.

I do love seeing "earth from space" images... <g>

Last edited by fwcetus; 03-21-2009 at 08:51 AM.
03-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Fred. Replies to your questions in red.

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I am curious about the "defishing".

To my eyes, the earth's curvature is distorted - it seems too curved just to the right
of center, and/or too straight(ish) to the sides (especially to the left side).
It is not a conversion problem. Partially, what you are seeing is the variations in the cloud layers. They were not symmetric on this day. The image is defished on a standard setting for that lens and focal length. Also, realize that defishing converts the image to rectilinear (like a rectilinear wide-angle lens) which distorts in stretching near the edges. Fisheye distortion preserves angles. That is why I actually prefer the conformal distortion of a fisheye to a really WA lens. So you are correct that there is distortion due to stretching but it is not a problem with the conversion, it is a problem with a rectilinear image. If it were possible to make a rectilinear WA lens this wide, it would look the same.

Is the image cropped asymmetrically (showing more to the left and less to the right)?
No

Can the amoiunt of "defishing" be adjusted?
Yes, but this is as close to a rectilinear conversion as possible.

Could you post an "un-defished" original?

Sure! See below:

<g>
Original image. Only processing is conversion from RAW to jpg. (Realize what you are seeing is a 169 degree horizontal angle of view.)

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 03-21-2009 at 09:55 AM.