Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
help! k20d images are being cropped when converted!!

ok, i have been using my k20d for a few months now but only recently started using RAW+

what i noticed tonight when compiling images from a shoot with raws and jpegs together, is that my jpegs have about 10 pixels width missing from each side.

Where have these pixels gone? what is my camera doing with this 10 pixel row? I am worried that they are getting stuck in the shutter and that they will eventually clog up the camera, which i would certainly not be happy about. Worse still, they could be leaking right out, which means there could be a problem with my cameras weather sealing (?), which would be worrying since i have been shooting in a lot of rainy conditions lately.

Please help!

12-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
ok, i have been using my k20d for a few months now but only recently started using RAW+

what i noticed tonight when compiling images from a shoot with raws and jpegs together, is that my jpegs have about 10 pixels width missing from each side.

Where have these pixels gone?
A correct size should be 4672 x 3104.

You have probably a raw converter that doesn't support the K20D correctly. I remember seeing these "extrapixels" when Picasa was not officialy supporting the K20D. I think there is a good technical explanation as to why these pixels are not included in the final picture but I am too lazy to find the link.

Anyway I wouldn't worry for 10 tiny pixels!
12-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

I'd save 'em all up in a big bucket in case you need 'em one day
12-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Manuh, no! it is when the camera itself converts an image after taking it it gets rid of the edges! I will check the actual image sizes.

Kerrowdown, I find your suggestion quite ridiculous as i have NO WAY of accessing the pixels, they are stuck inside the camera!!!

12-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isaac! You have a BIG PROBLEM!!!!!!! Your K20D has been infested with a pixel eating troll! It is a relative of the troll what lives in the clothes dryer and eats one of each pair of socks. What you need to do is find a troll whisperer, what he/she can do is coax the pixel eating troll out of the camera and into the dryer. Since trolls are insanely territorial one will eat the other. If you are real lucky they'll destroy each other and both pieces of machinery will be troll free! One note of warning, on very rare occasions the two trolls are compatible and start to breed inside the dryer. In that case the only solution is to burn the house down.
Unfortunately the only troll whisperers I know of live either in Outer Mongolia, Tierra del Fuego or the Islets of Langerhans. I would suggest looking at the Islets of Langerhans first, they are a bit closer. The Great Omentum rules there, I would suggest contacting him directly.

NaCl(good luck and let us know how you make out)H2O
12-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Isaac! You have a BIG PROBLEM!!!!!!! Your K20D has been infested with a pixel eating troll!
Wow! i think you are right! That would also explain why my camera has been feeling so much heavier lately! And the unrelated fact that i just added a weather sealed 16-50 could in fact be keeping the troll safe whereas other lenses left it exposed to the elements more.
Your method sounds a little complicated, my friend says mangling a screwdriver around in the front of the body should also work quite well, but should i use a flathead or a crosshead? I wouldnt want to cause any damages by using the wrong type of screwdriver...

In all serious people, i still havent solved the problem that my sensor is somehow bigger when i shoot in raw mode. its even noticeable on the 2.5" display...
12-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I would recommend the Rocket Blower for cleaning out those accumulating pixels before they start showing up as little colored specks all over your high ISO pictures.