Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good choice. little story about "if the wife says yes, you listen" We where in the process of getting a new flat screen TV about two months ago. I had picked a model that CC had bundled with a new BluRay player. It was a 40 inch model and I though perfect. We are in the store looking at the Tv's and my wife says " that is to small maybe we should get this one a 46inch newer model" WHAT SHE MUST BE JOKING she walked away laughing. I was so focused on the BluRay and the deal I didn't think she was serious. Now everytime anyone comes over and looks at the TV she kills me by saying "we could have got the bigger one but" UGHHHHH Get the K20

12-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Yes.

Who knows if your wife will allow the K30 at $1200!
12-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife and I have been going round and round about this subject for about a month now, I had almost given up until at least the first of the year.

Friday night she was on the computer and told me about a deal on amazon with the K20, the optio and the crossover bag.

She said "I think you should buy it" Whats a guy to do? I ordered it and should be here Wednesday. :-)
12-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #19
Inactive Account

make hay....

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
My wife just now told me that she doesn't mind if I buy the k20 for myself for Christmas. .

The thing is...i've heard a lot of people say that the AF is slow.

I'm in a crisis...should I wait till march when the k30 (or k20 super, whatever it be) might be announced or should I just go with the k20 now?

I haven't had a chance to really use a k20 and I don't want to kick myself in 3 months for being impatient.

I'm having a real dilemma.

Any advice
I have to say yes, make hay whilst the sun shines :-)

especially as the yen is so strong at the moment I would be surprised if prices next year are not a lot higher. If I didn't have a K10 I'd buy one, at the moment I'm trying to persuade the mrs I need to take advantage of cashbacks and comparatively low prices presently and get some lenses. (I'll then look at a 2nd hand or re-furb K20 later)

IMHO all this talk about AF speed is tosh, all the dSLRs are pretty good.

If the lens (or body) motor 'speed' is a constant then the major factor is that the drive interface is with the outer 'edge' of the lens and so far around the circumference. min to inf. is has a significant impact on "focus speed"

12-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #20

Hang on until after Christmas, I have to believe there will be deals out there...
12-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

lurchlarson are you sure this is not a trap being set by your wife?

What are you upgrading from? That should make a difference. The K20D for the price right now can not be beat.
12-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
If you wait for the next model, you'll wait forever, since there is always a next model. Autofocus speed on the K20D is more than fast enough for just about everything. When the lighting gets low, it will be slower than Nikon or Canon, but not as slow as some poster lead you to believe. It's a tad faster than the K10D, but the difference is not great. For most situations, the autofocus is very good, and most of the time, it will be more accurate than just about any other camera. Go in a brick and mortar store and try one. Don't forget AF speed is not everything, you should also be comfortable with all other aspect of the camera. Ergonomics on the K10/20D is very good for me, but it might not suit everybody. Then, there is that little thing: do the pictures look like what you want them to look. I love mine, but it is not necessarily what other people want, so go and try one. And take along an SD card, so you can look at the result when you are home, and no sales person pushing you to get it on the spot.
Slow or impossible to focus!

I had my K20D out tonight and I was very disappointed that it could not focus on a scene that should have been 'easy'! I had to switch the camera to MF.

About 20 minutes later (and darker), I tried my eight year old Pentax MZ-S (with same lens) and it was able to focus on this scene.

Can someone tell me why my eight year older camera seems to have better focusing ability (at least in twilight conditions)?
12-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
lurchlarson are you sure this is not a trap being set by your wife?

What are you upgrading from? That should make a difference. The K20D for the price right now can not be beat.
Yes, exactly.

Wife: Oh... don't worry about me. I don't need those silly and impractical diamond ear rings. You go buy your camera because I know how happy that will make you.

12-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #24
graphicgr8s

My wife just now told me that she doesn't mind if I buy the k20 for myself for Christmas. .

I'm in a crisis...should I wait till march when the k30 (or k20 super, whatever it be) might be announced or should I just go with the k20 now?

I haven't had a chance to really use a k20 and I don't want to kick myself in 3 months for being impatient.

Any advice
Waddaunuts. My wife says I can buy a new anything (almost)I sure wouldn't be here asking "Should I?" YES, GO BUY IT. NOW!!!
12-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Slow or impossible to focus!

I had my K20D out tonight and I was very disappointed that it could not focus on a scene that should have been 'easy'!
Could you post a picture of the scene? I'm guessing you need to reset your expectations about what should be easy and what shouldn't. Also, were you letting the camera try to decide *what* to focus on (auto select focus point mode) or telling yourself? That makes a huge difference. Which focus point ws the camera using?

QuoteQuote:
Can someone tell me why my eight year older camera seems to have better focusing ability (at least in twilight conditions)?
Lots of things could be going on here. For one thing, since the viewfinder is presumably larger (being 35mm format rather than APS-C), Pentax may have felt they could get away with "stealing" more light from it to give the AF system. For another, I don't know anything about the AF system on that camera, but perhaps it had fewer AF sensors and thus no question about what to focus on. The K20D may have tried to focus on a part of the scene that was inherently harder to focus on - or it may have been stuck using one it's less reliable sensors. Unless both were using the center point? What else - does the old camera have a focus assist lamp? That could make all the difference right there.

Anyhow, lots of variables involved here.
12-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #26

Woman's point of view

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Waddaunuts. My wife says I can buy a new anything (almost)I sure wouldn't be here asking "Should I?" YES, GO BUY IT. NOW!!!
I have to laugh at this thread. I did purchase the K20d and basically told my husband I was buying it since it was a great deal. He knows my passion for photography. Obviously, if we could not afford it, hewould have said "not a good idea now"...so I am lucky.

On the other hand, I do notice that when I want something I am very eager to push him to buy something as well (since he does not believe in shopping) and when he does he goes top of the line. SO I figure we are even. Would love to know who did go buy it since the price is pretty great.

Happy holidays to all!

NOTE: He did buy a 46" LCD TV...so I though a pair of boots would even us out.
12-21-2008, 06:39 AM   #27

soooooo....... did you get one? I know if my husband told me to I would be on Amazon right now at 7:30 AM ordering with next day delivery to have it Tuesday! I am doing all I can to bargain and find the $$ to get one. I don't think the newest DSLR from Pentax will be anything that I can use. People talk about GPS. Seriously, in a camera! I can do without.

Great deal at amazon...
Buy a Pentax K20D ($742), Get a Free Optio A40 Digital Camera ($178.10) plus Free Crossover Bag ($39.95) - Forums

I hope someone can take advantage of this great deal even if I can't. I hear the point and shoot is a nice camera too. Would make a great Xmas gift for someone else maybe.

Let us know what you did!!!
12-21-2008, 06:41 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
"Never a Mac" - Are you serious? I was with you all the way until you stated that. Macs are awesome, and hardly ever crash! Maybe you will reconsider in the future!!! Shoot on my friend, shoot on!
12-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
I don't think the newest DSLR from Pentax will be anything that I can use. People talk about GPS. Seriously, in a camera! I can do without.
From inside Pentax (my source might have been bullsh****ng), the K20D Tracker will have an outside GPS. When you take a picture, you press the button on the GPS and it marks the picture location. It is NOT Pentax branded. I don't know if the GPS will be available separately or if you need a special connector on the camera to use it. It would be nice if you didn't need a special connector. It could be used on other cameras. It should be available pretty soon, and I was told it would add about $50.00 to the price of the camera.
12-21-2008, 07:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Any advice
No, the K20's AF is certainly not slow. It is just a bit slower, than the AF systems in much more expensive Canon and Nikon and Olympus cameras. That is a very different thing. The "worst" part of the Pentax AF is its AF-C behaviour. But just yererday evening I took pictures of our little son riding on a fast moving carroussel - and this under artificial and not too bright lighting. Worked flawlessly.

So, I see it as such: If you are a dedicated sports shooter and work with very fast and expensive lenses (400/2.8 and the like) a Canon EOS 1Dsxxx or Nikon D3 might be better suited, because of better AF performance. Otherwise you won't notice a difference between a K20 and the rest of the bunch, because they all have their limits. Pentax AF is optimised to be reliable undedr most conditions and sacrifices a bit of AF speed for that. Also, don't forget, that AF performance is highly dependend on the lens you use.

Ben