Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My wife said I can...should I?

My wife just now told me that she doesn't mind if I buy the k20 for myself for Christmas. .

The thing is...i've heard a lot of people say that the AF is slow.

I'm in a crisis...should I wait till march when the k30 (or k20 super, whatever it be) might be announced or should I just go with the k20 now?

I haven't had a chance to really use a k20 and I don't want to kick myself in 3 months for being impatient.

I'm having a real dilemma.

Any advice

12-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you wait for the next model, you'll wait forever, since there is always a next model. Autofocus speed on the K20D is more than fast enough for just about everything. When the lighting gets low, it will be slower than Nikon or Canon, but not as slow as some poster lead you to believe. It's a tad faster than the K10D, but the difference is not great. For most situations, the autofocus is very good, and most of the time, it will be more accurate than just about any other camera. Go in a brick and mortar store and try one. Don't forget AF speed is not everything, you should also be comfortable with all other aspect of the camera. Ergonomics on the K10/20D is very good for me, but it might not suit everybody. Then, there is that little thing: do the pictures look like what you want them to look. I love mine, but it is not necessarily what other people want, so go and try one. And take along an SD card, so you can look at the result when you are home, and no sales person pushing you to get it on the spot.
12-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given how much more the new model is likely to cost, compared to what the prices on K20s are now... I wonder what could be so different you couldn't console yourself about it by putting that much money in Limited glass or something.

I kind of have a 'let someone else be the guinea pig' attitude about tech things like this, not that I'm often in the market for the latest and greatest, anyway.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-13-2008 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Major grammatical failure. :)
12-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I purchased my K10D just before the release of the K20D and had many of the same concerns. For years I used ME, ME Super and Super Program. I was thrilled with the K10D as my first DSLR. The K10D has been a great tool. If you are worried there is always someone on e-buy or even better Pentaxforums.com interested in buying a body for a deal. You could re-coup at least a fair portion of the money you have invested. As Flyer said, if your waiting on the next thing, you will spend forever waiting. As for the AF issues, I have had VERY few issues with the AF lag. If sports and fast action are your profession, it might be a deal breaker otherwise get a K20D for under your tree. Use the extra money to splurge on good glass.

12-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day lurchlarson,

Mate, always....always do what your wife says. Life is much more pleasant that way.

I have the K20 & my wife has the K200, which replaces our old *ist DS & DL....the K20 & K200 are way faster, how that compares to the oppostion? I have handled a Nikon D60 which seemed quicker and quieter, but my lenses are all the older type until yesterday when.....

I added the Pentax 17-70 which has the SDM feature, and now I understand what speed is all bout, with fully charged batteries. Playing around with the 17-70 on the K20 with an almost flat battery the AF was slow, but pop in a fully charged battery and it flies......as you would expect.

SDM is on all the newer DA & DA* lenses, well worth the money.
Cheers.
12-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
And your here talking to us, I'd be at the shop already
12-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LL go for it! Reasons:
1 Your wife said you could. It's always good to foment conjugal bliss.
2 The K30D or what ever it will be called MAY be announced this spring or maybe next fall, or maybe.... bird in the hand and all that.
3 When ever it is announced it will probably go for BIG BUCKS, probably $1200 or so judging by former new model releases. Right now you can easily find the K20D for a bit over $700. $500 buys 1 good new lens or several really good older ones. Or a nice flash and a nice bag, or a good 'pod and a bunch of filters or...
4 You will be missing out on at least 3 months of shooting
5 It's the Holidays and you deserve a great present because you have been a good boy

NaCl(Santa told me so about 5 )H2O

12-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #8

I think auto-focus speed is the LEAST issue to consider.
12-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Go for it, it's not too often that wife says: "you can" regarding splashing for camera
Anyway, slow AF on K20? I really don't think you should worry about it...
just go for it...
12-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #10
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
My wife just now told me that she doesn't mind if I buy the k20 for myself for Christmas. .

The thing is...i've heard a lot of people say that the AF is slow.

I'm in a crisis...should I wait till march when the k30 (or k20 super, whatever it be) might be announced or should I just go with the k20 now?

I haven't had a chance to really use a k20 and I don't want to kick myself in 3 months for being impatient.

I'm having a real dilemma.

Any advice
Hi,

You better wait until Tuesday and see if anything that Penatx will announce is a matter of interest to you.
After all it's only 3 days ...

Regards,
Radu
12-13-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought the K10D about this time last year - brand new for $508 after rebate - definitely did not regret it! I am sure you would not either on the K20D now.
12-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Here's what you should do:

The K30 (or whatever) will probably debut at $1200 - $1400 in the Spring.

Buy a K20d + FA 77ltd now for roughly the same amount.

10 years from now, you'll still be shooting that 77 on the latest body, and you'll have images for the K20D saved that you took this year and early next that you'll always cherish.

Tell your wife that you are not taking her incredible generosity lightly, and that after careful deliberation and research, you've decided to maximize the IQ for the money - for your family's sake.

Now... When's your birthday?

12-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What was I thinking? Thank you all for helping be come back to reality. I think I was just so shocked that she was ok with me splurging with that much money.

Thank you all for your advice.
12-13-2008, 11:20 PM   #14

QuoteQuote:
My wife said I can...should I?
The answer to that question is always yes....
12-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #15

I am moving from a Canon 40D back to Pentax (K20). While the speed difference is there, its not NEARLY as dramatic as many would have you believe. If you're on any type of budget (which I am guessing you are from your wifes approval) Pentax is a far more friendly system....