Site Supporter

Why I Still Shoot Pentax

Thought some of you might appreciate this;

Regards,

BB

03-21-2022, 02:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice tips, except for your pixelshift workflow that is! That's one complicated and time consuming way of doing what is instantly solved upon opening the file in Rawtherapee. You have to be pretty wedded to Adobe to accept that type of mistake prone manual fiddling. Well, well to each their own
03-21-2022, 02:31 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice to see you've stuck around, Eddy

Good video, too - though I had trouble ignoring the apparent testicle scratching at 3:06

I think the title of your post is spot on... "Why I Still Shoot Pentax" - because we all have different reasons for shooting the brands we choose, don't we? That's where a lot of online opinions and opinion pieces fall down flat - the authors presume that they speak for everyone; that their opinions are fact rather than subjective views. Worse still, the impressionable among us might even be tempted to take such opinions at face value, accept them as fact, fail to challenge them and even repeat them to others, when the reality is each of us - as you point out early in your video - has different requirements. I know for certain the things I value in the systems I shoot aren't the same things everyone else values (I shoot Pentax for some different reasons than you, for sure - but that's cool!). I also know that even though I love my Pentax gear - cameras and lenses - they're very far from perfect by any advanced user's standards... but I also know the same is true for every system, camera and lens out there - even the most recent and advanced. So, when someone waxes lyrical about how much better brand / camera / lens X is than Pentax in some way, I just find it presumptious and tiresome. If only they added "for my personal use-cases and preferences" to their comments, showed some humility and respect for others' preferences, and a bit of discretion and consideration when posting in PentaxForums about how great a different brand's products are... we'd get along just fine

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-21-2022 at 02:45 PM.
03-21-2022, 02:48 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Nice tips, except for your pixelshift workflow that is! That's one complicated and time consuming way of doing what is instantly solved upon opening the file in Rawtherapee. You have to be pretty wedded to Adobe to accept that type of mistake prone manual fiddling. Well, well to each their own
You'll see in the comments section some disagreeing and being really appreciative of this workflow approach. I may not be around these parts anymore but I am member of many Pentaxian grounds with thousands of memberships (and even admin a few) and I can tell you now that the silkypix/RT approach is not favoured by many but we also have a lot of Adobe users (after all adobe is still the industry standard application for serious photographers).
I have tried RawTherapee but for me it has its drawbacks, mainly that once fixed with the motion you're left to continue working only within RT or exported as a Tiff to work on further (which is not ideal for many of us and defeats the other benefits from using RT).
My approach here is to fix manually and it may not work for everyone but it is not a very daunting process. The benefits is you stay working in the environment you know, using the editor you have come to know and appreciate. I believe this approach outlined with LR>PS might also work for Capture One and perhaps Affinity though I am not sure. LR can see and exploit the benefits of pixelshifted files reasonably well, the other programs I'm not sure.

03-21-2022, 02:53 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I may not be around these parts anymore but I am member of many Pentaxian grounds with thousands of memberships
Hang on, Eddy - I thought you were sticking around with us... You weren't just posting linked content then leaving, were you?!
03-21-2022, 02:54 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If only they added "for my personal use-cases and preferences" to their comments, showed some humility and respect for others' preferences, and a bit of discretion and consideration when posting in PentaxForums about how great a different brand's products are... we'd get along just fine
These days I have just accepted that when people talk about this stuff it is assumed and taken for granted that they mean 'for me and what i want to do with a camera'. I don't feel the need to hear it as much as I've noticed others do. If we have to prefix every opinion we have about something with this attitude... its a lot of additional typing or wasted breath. We're photographers, talking about photography and it is a hugely wide and varied field, it's a given I think that we all shoot differently and want to shoot differently in pursuit of our arts.

What I think matters more is education, "did you know it can do this? or that?", that knowledge can then help someone perhaps maximise the process more. Or it could be completely irrelevant.

---------- Post added 03-22-22 at 08:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hang on, Eddy - I thought you were sticking around with us? You weren't just posting a YT video, were you?!
I'll pretty much run and dump these. I can't 'get in' with you guys here, I simply get blocked from threads or my posts meddled with and sections omitted. But if I have a video that might be specifically interesting to you chaps then I'll dump it. If you want to get into the specifics of the video with replies, do it in YT, then that helps everyone who has visited the video and is reading the comments and not just those here.
03-21-2022, 03:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I can't 'get in' with you guys here, I simply get blocked from threads or my posts meddled with and sections omitted. But if I have a video that might be specifically interesting to you chaps then I'll dump it.
That's certainly the way of these forums.

03-21-2022, 03:04 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

These days I have just accepted that when people talk about this stuff it is assumed and taken for granted that they mean 'for me and what i want to do with a camera'. I don't feel the need to hear it as much as I've noticed others do. If we have to prefix every opinion we have about something with this attitude... its a lot of additional typing or wasted breath.
Perhaps I'm unusual, but I still value the courtesy

What I think matters more is education, "did you know it can do this? or that?", that knowledge can then help someone perhaps maximise the process more. Or it could be completely irrelevant
I agree, that definitely matters

I'll pretty much run and dump these. I can't 'get in' with you guys here, I simply get blocked from threads or my posts meddled with and sections omitted. But if I have a video that might be specifically interesting to you chaps then I'll dump it. If you want to get into the specifics of the video with replies, do it in YT, then that helps everyone who has visited the video and is reading the comments and not just those here.
That's a shame. But OK...
03-21-2022, 03:17 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't 'get in' with you guys here, I simply get blocked from threads or my posts meddled with and sections omitted.
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
That's certainly the way of these forums.
Yes, but that only happens when members disregard the forum rules that they agreed to abide by.
03-21-2022, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes, but that only happens when members disregard the forum rules that they agreed to abide by.
Obvious, isn't it?
03-21-2022, 03:30 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep and that is pretty much my beef, it's not people per se but the rules of this forum. It is a home for passive aggressive game playing keyboard warriors. It's about winning arguments here through clever use of the English language. Be slimy enough to not be outright caught and you can be as mean as you like. You can speak far more frankly in other places without post deletion or threads being locked down. I am in some groups where 'don't be a jerk' is the only rule and seems to be more than enough to have sensible discussions. We don't need a nanny.

Someone needs to let PF know it's the year 2022.
03-21-2022, 03:39 PM - 6 Likes   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I am in some groups where 'don't be a jerk' is the only rule ...
Bruce, you've repeatedly confessed to being "immature". We don't need a sermon from someone claiming against evidence they're not a jerk!

Last edited by clackers; 03-21-2022 at 05:14 PM.
03-21-2022, 03:48 PM - 9 Likes   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yep and that is pretty much my beef, it's not people per se but the rules of this forum.
Not every shoe fits every foot. If our rules don't suit you we understand, but as mentioned above, they weren't a surprise. You agreed to them when you joined. Think of it this way: The rules of poker say that a flush beats a straight. If you find that rule unacceptable perhaps poker isn't the game for you.
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Obvious, isn't it?
One would think so.
03-21-2022, 04:24 PM - 4 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep and that is pretty much my beef, it's not people per se but the rules of this forum. It is a home for passive aggressive game playing keyboard warriors. It's about winning arguments here through clever use of the English language. Be slimy enough to not be outright caught and you can be as mean as you like. You can speak far more frankly in other places without post deletion or threads being locked down. I am in some groups where 'don't be a jerk' is the only rule and seems to be more than enough to have sensible discussions. We don't need a nanny.

I was a member of a generic {not brand- specific} photo discussion forum where the owner kept 9-5 business hours, then complained about the messes he had to cleanup when he wasn’t around.
That was just a couple of years ago, and when I dropped in recently, it was still as mess.
I understand “it’s the year 2022” - I personally like it better this way.
We do need a ‘nanny’ to keep people like you in control.
The point is not to win arguments, but to explain why one feels a particular way.
03-21-2022, 06:39 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

"It is a home for passive aggressive game playing keyboard warriors. It's about winning arguments here through clever use of the English language. Be slimy enough to not be outright caught and you can be as mean as you like."

AMEN.

Last edited by Qwntm; 03-21-2022 at 06:46 PM.
Closed Thread