Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #46
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Say What?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
So... Hope no one minds if I revive this conversation after having had my k20d in hand a few days... I'm still playing with settings... and the way I'm a creature of habit with these things, this is a biggie.

My initial idea of what to do was to configure so that a half-press of the shutter would be metering/ae hold, and use the AE-L button for AF-on.

Apart from that I can't seem to make a half-press do that, and I'm not wild about where the AE-L button is for purposes of reaching up there every time I want to grab focus, (Though maybe I could make this happen by linking ae-l to af and then disabling af-at-the-half-press?) I've got another promising idea that I'm trying:

This is basically, stock settings with the AF button set to 'disable af.'

See, I've got a long-ingrained habit of riding the shutter-half-press to keep the meter live on my old Canons, and to grab focus, I can just blip that and focus stays where I put it till release. This seems pretty compatible with using the AE-L when I want to just do what I've done a lot with my P&S camera, which is usually to point at something that'll tell a meter to do what I want and hold it there. (On the P&S, this was much less of a pain than trying to set things manually)

So I think I have a scheme that may work nice: I think if there was a button right under thumb for AF, it might be a little different, but this seems promising.
The K20D - like the K10D - has a button on the rear of the camera labeld "AF". Just why do you feel the need to move AF to the AE-L button? I do not understand. The AF button is right under your right hand thumb - no problem.

There are instructions on how to de-couple AF from the shutter button, scattered around the forum - nothing new here. You still need to touch the shutter button to start up the meter and other electronics, including AF. You have to half press the shutter button on nearly every camera these days -- and in the old days too, which was how to fire up the meter -- again nothing new here.

If you look at the back of your camera and you do NOT see a AF button you have a K200D not a K20D. Big difference. You should be able to make the OK button function as a AF button. Same thing - different name on the button.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

12-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kjfaust Quote
i want to use the AF button but since I only have a K100d S I have to use the OK button
and the position of the OK button is a bit awkward to press for me as oppose to the position of the AF button in the k10d or k20d
???? I don't know how you hold your camera, but for me, the OK button is right under my right thumb at all times.
12-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #48
Site Supporter

On my ist D, I use the AF button to assist me in manual focusing. I press it once with any lens I have on it and when the center is in focus, the focus indicator lights up and I fine tune it from there.
12-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by zplus Quote
On my ist D, I use the AF button to assist me in manual focusing. I press it once with any lens I have on it and when the center is in focus, the focus indicator lights up and I fine tune it from there.
I do the same thing with my K200D. I find the range (starting point), while depressing the AF button, wait for the red AF light in the center and the beep, and then fine tune. It takes awhile but at least I am in the ball park with a manual lens.

12-18-2008, 10:33 PM   #50
PDL
Pentaxian

I hate the beep - the first thing I disabled on all my cameras after de-coupling AF from the shutter button.

My better half was a beeper. All you would hear is the beep - beep - beep - beep - beep etc. meanwhile the people getting "beeped" were starting to wonder just what the heck was the problem - why no shutter release, are my eyes open - resulting in pained expressions with eyes abnormally forced open. Even complete strangers will ask - "What is taking so long? What's the matter?" My significant other - no longer takes pictures, unless the situation requires me to be in the image. (I have to beg too)

I hate the beep - good way to completely remove any spontaneity in your photography - make your camera sound like a GD cell phone.

12-19-2008, 08:24 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
The K20D - like the K10D - has a button on the rear of the camera labeld "AF". Just why do you feel the need to move AF to the AE-L button? I do not understand. The AF button is right under your right hand thumb - no problem.

There are instructions on how to de-couple AF from the shutter button, scattered around the forum - nothing new here. You still need to touch the shutter button to start up the meter and other electronics, including AF. You have to half press the shutter button on nearly every camera these days -- and in the old days too, which was how to fire up the meter -- again nothing new here.

If you look at the back of your camera and you do NOT see a AF button you have a K200D not a K20D. Big difference. You should be able to make the OK button function as a AF button. Same thing - different name on the button.

Err, just what do you take me for? I know what model camera I'm holding. It's a K20d.

Part of the reason I'd have been interested in shifting it around was to basically keep all the metering stuff at the shutter button and all the AF behind. (Also, there's some concerns mentioned about the battery grip lacking the AF button, to begin with. Which may or may not be an issue, anyway: if I get doing events with a large flash unit, then that'd be a concern) The AE-L being way over there, kind of made that particular idea a non-starter, though. And I'm not sure you can even configure the buttons the way I had in mind. (possibly one could do it by linking metering to AF, making the AF button AF-on, and disabling AF at the half-press.)

And, well, Mark, my thumb's usually wanting to fall in the thumb-rest, so it catches the right side of the rear control wheel. I can shift it so it's right over the center, and then rock my thumb back to hit the AF button. I suppose, doable, but it feels a bit less secure and steady.

I am, however, finding it's pretty easy to keep the focus I want by grabbing the focus I want with the half-press and just riding it while I compose, so this ought to work out acceptably-well. I'm guessing the designers had something like this in mind.

(and as beeps go, it seems the K20's are so quiet, I don't think the sound carries, and it's not like it sounds every time you change a setting, just for AF and AEL and the RAW button, the few others just not things that happen a lot. Hasn't seemed bothersome enough to be thinking about yet. I don't think you can blame the beeps for the results of fussing with settings too long. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-19-2008 at 08:41 AM.
12-19-2008, 08:35 AM   #52
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
???? I don't know how you hold your camera, but for me, the OK button is right under my right thumb at all times.
When I uncoupled AF from the shutter release on my K100DS and assigned it to the OK button, I kept poking my thumb in my eye. Maybe that's the issue :-)
12-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abraham_love Quote
When I uncoupled AF from the shutter release on my K100DS and assigned it to the OK button, I kept poking my thumb in my eye. Maybe that's the issue :-)
Hee, that won't help!

Me, I'm just a little used to having a wind lever to hook my thumb behind.

12-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I use the AF button. Main reason is that I like to keep the SR system active at all the times, in case I need to snap a picture fast.
And as I am essentially "left-eyed", imagine the problems.
12-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Err, just what do you take me for? I know what model camera I'm holding. It's a K20d.
And, well, Mark, my thumb's usually wanting to fall in the thumb-rest, so it catches the right side of the rear control wheel. I can shift it so it's right over the center, and then rock my thumb back to hit the AF button. I suppose, doable, but it feels a bit less secure and steady.
Note I was responding to someone talking about the K100D, which is laid out and balances differently. The OK button on that camera is actually quite conveniently placed for the thumb, at least the way *I* hold it. Same thing with my K200D, except that since the grip is rather deeper, I've noticed that some people tend to hold it differently than I do.

QuoteQuote:
I am, however, finding it's pretty easy to keep the focus I want by grabbing the focus I want with the half-press and just riding it while I compose, so this ought to work out acceptably-well. I'm guessing the designers had something like this in mind.
Sure, that works well when you don't mind refocusing for every shot. the advantage of the decoupling come in when you want to take several shots in a row without refocusing, either because you want to shoot more quickly or you don't want to lose a very carefully chosen focus point. That's why I use the button to Cancel AF - so I can decouple only when necessary, and use half-press when that's convenient, as it often is. But this requires shooting with one's thumb *on* the button, so if the layout of the camera and your hand and the way you hold it doesn't support shooting comfortably with your thumb on the button, that's not going to be practical.

QuoteQuote:
as beeps go, it seems the K20's are so quiet, I don't think the sound carries, and it's not like it sounds every time you change a setting, just for AF and AEL and the RAW button, the few others just not things that happen a lot.
On the K200D, you can actually configure to some extent which operations beep and which don't - I assume the K20D is similar.
12-19-2008, 11:59 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Note I was responding to someone talking about the K100D, which is laid out and balances differently. The OK button on that camera is actually quite conveniently placed for the thumb, at least the way *I* hold it. Same thing with my K200D, except that since the grip is rather deeper, I've noticed that some people tend to hold it differently than I do.
I had the idea that PDL had confused you about who had what, with that bit of snark. SOk.

Me, I'm not attached to any particular way of doing things as yet: I've only had this camera a few days. But before I start getting any particular habits, I thought I'd try out some options, ...it's not like adapting how I hold the camera is out of the question or anything.

QuoteQuote:
Sure, that works well when you don't mind refocusing for every shot. the advantage of the decoupling come in when you want to take several shots in a row without refocusing, either because you want to shoot more quickly or you don't want to lose a very carefully chosen focus point. That's why I use the button to Cancel AF - so I can decouple only when necessary, and use half-press when that's convenient, as it often is. But this requires shooting with one's thumb *on* the button, so if the layout of the camera and your hand and the way you hold it doesn't support shooting comfortably with your thumb on the button, that's not going to be practical.
Well, adapting, as I said, is certainly not out of the question. It sounds like we're currently set up the same way, even. I'm the very picture of a late adopter of AF in any serious camera, so it hadn't even occurred to me yet to trust it to follow focus or any such on its own, unless maybe I kicked it into AF-C. (I'm figuring I'll be using the switch a lot cause there aren't a whole lot of DA lenses in my plan as yet. Maybe one of those chunky AF Tammies, if those let you refocus manually without the switch.)

I did a little test and it seems I can keep my focus point even for several exposures as long as I don't let the shutter up past half-press. That sound right?
12-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #57
Syb
Site Supporter

I am starting to like it, after a few first shots.

I was often first choosing a matrix point for the AF and then shooting. I will be faster than I was before. People get less annoyed.

AF-button is my friend!

(aherm, a friend that I need to get used to, though)