View Poll Results: I use the Auto Focus (AF) Button
Yes, I use it. 9056.96%
No, I don't use it. 5534.81%
I don't have one! 138.23%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #1

Who uses the Auto Focus button?

I don't want to taint this poll, but I have read and re-read the owners manual on this, and cannot think of one good reason to ever use this.

So if you use it, please provide a description and tell me why it isn't a White Balance button which I would use ALL OF THE TIME.

12-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Where's the AF button? Obviously I'm missing it or don't have one on my K200D...
12-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the AF button set to cancel AF and the camera set to AF on half depress of the shutter release with the AF point usually set to the center point, so I can AF and shoot like normal, but if I've recomposed and then released the shutter button, but now want to shoot again, I don't need to move the AF point to the subject to half depress and then recompose again, just press the AF button and fire.
12-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Where's the AF button? Obviously I'm missing it or don't have one on my K200D...
The K10D and K20D have a dedicated AF button. You can use the 'ok' button to AF or Cancel AF on your K200D, but you have to give up whatever you're using the 'ok' button for.

12-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #5

I have turned off focusing on shutter half press and use the AF button to make the camera focus. This way, there is a button for picture taking, and another button for autofocusing. That way as i'm firing off shots, I don't have to worry about acidently causing the camera to refocus on something else and maybe losing a shot. I also remember times where the camera trying to refocus caused it to not take the picture even when I press the shutter button all the way. Having the two actions on seperate buttons solves that problem also. I would sudjest trying it this way and seeing if you lilke it or not. I origionally tried cause I had heard it's the way many "pros" did it, but once I started, I never looked back.
12-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #6

I have turned off focusing on shutter half press and use the AF button to make the camera focus. This way, there is a button for picture taking, and another button for autofocusing. That way as i'm firing off shots, I don't have to worry about acidently causing the camera to refocus on something else and maybe losing a shot. I also remember times where the camera trying to refocus caused it to not take the picture even when I press the shutter button all the way. Having the two actions on seperate buttons solves that problem also. I would sudjest trying it this way and seeing if you lilke it or not. I origionally tried cause I had heard it's the way many "pros" did it, but once I started, I never looked back.
12-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by avcabob Quote
I liked doing it this way too, but two things made me change to the technique I described above.
  • Focus on half press is comfortable for most camera users, so I can hand my camera to someone, and with a short explanation, they can use my camera. I found that just adding that one extra step of pressing a different button to focus was a bit much for P&S users to adjust to.
  • I find the AF button hard to reach from the BG-2 grip's shutter release and I shoot in portrait orientation fairly often so I need to be able to shoot without the AF button being mandatory.

12-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't used it. I do use the focus lock feature to stop the AF from hunting. I suppose I could focus using the button but I'm not used to pushing another button and I think using the focus lock accomplishes the same thing. I can see the use for the button if you are shooting lots of shots at around the same focus point but as I mentioned, I haven't used it. Maybe if I remember now that it has been mentioned i'll give it a try.
12-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #9

Never once used it in any of my K10s or 20s. I agree, it would be better served being a WB button.
12-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do and don't...

QuoteOriginally posted by avcabob Quote
I have turned off focusing on shutter half press and use the AF button to make the camera focus.
For AF lenses, the above is my K20D's set-up and for the same reasons.

For Manual Focus lenses, I re-activate the shutter's half press focus. My right hand's lower three fingers support the camera. I watch for the focus signal via the view finder while my index finger presses the shutter half way down. I spin the focus ring with my left hand until I get an in-focus signal. Once it appears (flashes), I continue to fine tune until the subject is in focus.

Sounds complex, but these two approaches work great for me.

Also, I shoot DNG in my K20d and find WB set to 'auto' works great 95% of the time. The remaining 5% can be adjusted via PP. I don't feel a need for a dedicated WB button.

Cheers...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 12-13-2008 at 10:54 PM.
12-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #11

It is a usual setting for pros. The following link explains all. I used this a lot in Canon system....

Canon Digital Learning Center - Back-Button Auto Focus Explained
12-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vanchaz2002 Quote
It is a usual setting for pros. The following link explains all. I used this a lot in Canon system....

Canon Digital Learning Center - Back-Button Auto Focus Explained
I started using the backbutton at the suggestion of Forum members who coached me on shooting sports action. I am now accustomed to thumbing the AF button to focus before I release the shutter. Cradling the lens and camera body in my left hand and gripping the body with my right 3 lower fingers on the grip feels more stable, too.

The Canon link has excellent explanations of the benefits.
12-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #13
Inactive Account

When shooting sport, i use AF-C with the AF button set to AF and the shutter to shoot only.
12-14-2008, 04:31 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I liked doing it this way too, but two things made me change to the technique I described above.
  • Focus on half press is comfortable for most camera users, so I can hand my camera to someone, and with a short explanation, they can use my camera. I found that just adding that one extra step of pressing a different button to focus was a bit much for P&S users to adjust to.
  • I find the AF button hard to reach from the BG-2 grip's shutter release and I shoot in portrait orientation fairly often so I need to be able to shoot without the AF button being mandatory.
I agree it's super annoying there's no AF button on the BG-2 grip. It's my one complaint about the grip, but most the time just a little stretch takes care of it, although sometimes I miss and get the EV button which can lead to some confusion. Also, sometimes I'll press the lens release button with my right hand, and then I can manual focus an autofocus lens instantly.
12-14-2008, 04:57 AM   #15
Forum Member

I started using the AF button to focus with half press of shutter disabled at airshows. It`s hard enough to shoot small fast low flying aeroplanes without the auto focus trying to lock onto a small target and hunting focus every time you hit the shutter. The funny thing is that after a very short time it became so natural that It`s become the only way I use the camera now.
It just seems better to have the camera focus when I want it to rather than every time I push the shutter.