Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2022, 07:02 AM - 10 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

WiFi Commander for PENTAX v 1.7 is online, now with K-3 Mark III support and more

Hi,

I am very excited to announce that the new version of Wifi Commander for Pentax is online: v1.7.0

This version is targeting extended support to KP and .... K-3 Mark III and I must say that it was a tough job because the latter is a really new camera for both hardware and software.
KP has a similar K-1, K-S2, K-70 software only with some upgrades, instead the K-3 Mark III, and the GR III family, has a new code from scratch.

Mind that I do not own neither the KP nor the K-3 Mark III, I tried to rent or ask help to some Pentax ambassadors but without success. This with the KP was a minor problem because, as said, it is an old implementation "on steroids" so with the help of stevejo (many thanks mate!) I managed to accomplish a reliable result (I hope)...about the K3 Mark III I didn't think I could make the job until I was contacted by mctaveck, a very nice guy who helped me a lot with the tests also allowing remote connections to his camera via internet !!! If you have a K-3 Mark III and can use Wifi Commander for Pentax you should especially thank him.

Many batteries have been exhausted and many cards have been filled and the result is this new version but, due to the fact that I do not own all Pentax cameras and that this is a work done for passion in my spare time, I ask you to consider it as an advanced beta and be patient as I expect there will be bugs at the beginning.

This is the release note:
1- K3 Mark III compatibility: the much sought after compatibility is finally here! Specific functions are: LV autorotation, Metering mode change, Extra small sized picture autodownload (enable in options), Drive modes support, etc...
2- Bi-directional communications: now you can operate from the camera and the app updates itself. Very useful on studio sessions to check the shots on a bigger screen and autodownload the pictures.
3- Composition Adjustments: with KP and K3 Mark III you can now use the Composition Adjustments, also in the Planned Shots!
4- Drive modes: with KP and K3 Mark III are available many drive modes like Bracketing and Continuous.
5- Intervalometer & Self-Timer: easy access to a simplified Intervalometer and Self-Timer function.
6- Histogram: histogram for pictures and Live View (real time).
7- Planned Shots enhancements: useful functions to clone and to massively set a delay.
8- Bugfixes and performance optimizations.

1bis - from the 1.7.1: RICOH GR III / IIIx compatibility!!!

So, hurry up: Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera

Next steps: to consolidate this version, EXIF info support and macOS compatibility

Last edited by Andrea K; 04-13-2022 at 06:10 AM.
04-07-2022, 08:56 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
oh how very exciting!
Thanks so much!
04-07-2022, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #3

It has been a pleasure Andrea!
thanks !!
04-07-2022, 01:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Oh, thank you so much!

04-08-2022, 06:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
and the GR III family, has a new code from scratch.
Are you saying this works for the GRIII family?, the notes don't mention it.
Thanks
04-08-2022, 07:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Are you saying this works for the GRIII family?, the notes don't mention it.
Thanks
Try... maybe yes, maybe not
04-08-2022, 07:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try...
It recognised my GRIIIX on the laptop but crashes before it would connect properly. Not to worry.

04-08-2022, 09:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It recognised my GRIIIX on the laptop but crashes before it would connect properly. Not to worry.
Please, send me (email on my site) the log... I'm curious
04-08-2022, 10:34 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please, send me (email on my site) the log... I'm curious
Where will I find the log?

Found it, and I will send it on.

Last edited by Kevin B123; 04-08-2022 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Found it.
04-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Where will I find the log?

Found it, and I will send it on.
This is a log not related to my app.
To get the correct log you can start the app without the camera connected, in the connection window there is a dedicated button to download it.

Thanks
04-08-2022, 11:14 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To get the correct log you can start the app without the camera connected, in the connection window there is a dedicated button to download it.
This produces a file: Wifi-Remote_20220408.WCPD, which I have emailed to the info address.
Regards
04-13-2022, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi,

thanks to Kevin I released now the 1.7.1 version with RICOH GR III / IIIx compatibility. Enjoy!
08-11-2022, 12:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Does anyone use WiFi Commander with a KP?
I have recently found want/need to take movies remotely (at least, more remotely than my cable release will reach) and find that although I can start the camera recording from the program, the program then becomes unresponsive and needs to be closed down using Task Manager.
At this point the camera stops recording and saves the file correctly, so no data loss, but it's not ideal.
I'm using W10 32-bit on an old HP laptop, so no option to upgrade to 64-bit.
I have left a message on the WiFi Commander web-page, but received no response yet … maybe holidays?
The K-70 won't do movies via wi-fi and my K-3iii is usually "doing other stuff".
I've tried ImageSync on an iPhone6 but it seems unreliable … I have problems with touch-screens in general, so I prefer not to struggle with a "smart" 'phone unless absolutely necessary.
08-11-2022, 12:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes. I have done quite a bit of testing over the past year with the KP. Due to a house move haven't done much recently but just downloaded this latest version and will check out asp.
Great job Andrea!
08-13-2022, 05:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Does anyone use WiFi Commander with a KP?
I have recently found want/need to take movies remotely (at least, more remotely than my cable release will reach) and find that although I can start the camera recording from the program, the program then becomes unresponsive and needs to be closed down using Task Manager.
At this point the camera stops recording and saves the file correctly, so no data loss, but it's not ideal.
I'm using W10 32-bit on an old HP laptop, so no option to upgrade to 64-bit.
I have left a message on the WiFi Commander web-page, but received no response yet … maybe holidays?
The K-70 won't do movies via wi-fi and my K-3iii is usually "doing other stuff".
I've tried ImageSync on an iPhone6 but it seems unreliable … I have problems with touch-screens in general, so I prefer not to struggle with a "smart" 'phone unless absolutely necessary.

FWIW I've now checked my K-3iii as well and have the same symptoms … the LiveView screen comes up on the laptop, I click the button in the program (after focussing, if appropriate) and the camera starts recording a movie, but the program then hangs and I have to close the program down and restart it