Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2022, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #76

QuoteOriginally posted by MXLX Quote
As to USB charging, I’m not keen on generating that kind of heat inside the camera. It would also seem unwise to charge aftermarket batteries in camera with the reports of aftermarket batteries swelling.
That would be my concern with the fast charger.

However, if the K-3iii (I don't own one) is like earlier Pentax bodies with a catch to hold the battery in place, then it may be possible to charge with the battery door open.

04-14-2022, 09:54 AM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
The 129€ is for the quickcharger. If you buy the normal one it is about 70€
Yep, saw that as well. Still a lot.
04-14-2022, 01:20 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The only charger option for the new Olympus OM-1 is a $150 double slotted one.
04-15-2022, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #79
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MXLX Quote
The only charger option for the new Olympus OM-1 is a $150 double slotted one.
That's a chunk of change.

04-27-2022, 12:18 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I find it convenient. If I'm out an about I can just plug the camera into the car to charge. Also saves a little time and hassle not having to remove the battery (I have a camera that's easier said than done.)
06-21-2022, 05:19 PM   #81
Pentaxian

The supplied K3iii USB charger came with a removable power plug for my region (Australia). It would be useful to get some alternates for international travel (Europe, US, UK, ...), but I have not been able to find these on the Ricoh accessories pages. Has anybody seen them?
06-22-2022, 07:34 AM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The supplied K3iii USB charger came with a removable power plug for my region (Australia). It would be useful to get some alternates for international travel (Europe, US, UK, ...), but I have not been able to find these on the Ricoh accessories pages. Has anybody seen them?
What kind of socket for the power lead is on the charger? If it is the somewhat standard figure 8 or google ∞ shape that's used on the standard charger then you should be able to find it online or at a computer/electronics store in the country you are visiting. Most power bricks and some printers use the same socket.

06-22-2022, 01:21 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What kind of socket for the power lead is on the charger? If it is the somewhat standard figure 8 or google ∞ shape that's used on the standard charger then you should be able to find it online or at a computer/electronics store in the country you are visiting. Most power bricks and some printers use the same socket.
I think it's a proprietary design. Only the genuine Pentax one would fit.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 06-22-2022 at 01:46 PM.
06-22-2022, 07:17 PM   #84

Hmm, ok. Does the input specs on the charger show it is multi-voltage/frequency? If so then you can probably use a travel plug adapter kit.
06-22-2022, 11:22 PM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Hmm, ok. Does the input specs on the charger show it is multi-voltage/frequency? If so then you can probably use a travel plug adapter kit.
There are two versions: AC-U1 and AC-U2 (" Differs depending on the region"). Mine is U2. It shows 100-240 V, 50/60 Hz, so I guess it can be used anywhere, with the appropriate plug.

Of course I can use an adapter plug, but was just wondering if various international versions of the Ricoh one are available. More elegant, but not a big deal. I have a set of international plugs for my Apple power bricks, which is very convenient for my laptop.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 06-23-2022 at 12:57 AM.
07-02-2022, 03:47 AM   #86
Pentaxian

The plug should be available, ask Pentax. On the other hand a decent USB charger and general plug adapter will get you further.
Be happy that you get full voltage range, Oral B for instance is even cheaper typically offering only single voltage power supplies. Saves you cents per product, but causes more adapter, power supply, cable trash.
09-17-2022, 07:54 AM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Thee was an EU directive that all phones and personal electronics had the same charger. This is the genesis of USB C, it is on my new android phone and my wife’s new iPad mini. This now ensures that there is not a continual waste of cables, and the chargers are every where now, and most phones no longer come with any charger, so why not cameras, also by creating a new standard, it ensured no existing manufacturer had an advantage.
Apparently that EU directive is weirdly written.
I got a new iPhone a few days ago and it still accepts the 'standard' Apple {lightning??} plug,
but the cable in the box is USB-C to Apple and no power source is included, so our laptop computers are the only "power sources" that we have right now.
Eventually, we will probably purchase a few USB-C power "blocks" but until then ......
09-17-2022, 12:47 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Apparently that EU directive is weirdly written.
I got a new iPhone a few days ago and it still accepts the 'standard' Apple {lightning??} plug,
but the cable in the box is USB-C to Apple and no power source is included, so our laptop computers are the only "power sources" that we have right now.
Eventually, we will probably purchase a few USB-C power "blocks" but until then ......
As I understand it the lightning connector is essentially usb c and some products were allowed to be grandfathered.
09-17-2022, 01:32 PM   #89
Pentaxian

Personally I'm glad I've got the charger from my K-5 to fall back on … spare battery in the camera to carry on shooting, charged battery waiting for me when I get home. Not even sure where the USB charger that came with my K-3iii is … I've certainly never used it!
10-21-2022, 03:25 PM   #90
Pentaxian

I ordered the Pentax D-BC177 Travel Charger when I bought my K-3 III. It allows me to use a 30,000 mah power brick I have to recharge a battery when I'm away from any power while still being able to use my camera with the 2nd battery. I've use a battery grip full time on my K-3 and K-3 III. I have what most people consider to be huge hands.