Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2022, 10:45 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your super helpful replies. A lot of things to consider regarding older top of the line cameras versus a new K 70. This camera will come with me on what may be my last trip to Europe. I will be doing the usual landscape, architectural photos but I also like to do low light photos for which I will be bringing some sort of camera support. The K-x doesn't seem to be great at low light so the K70 sounds like a big improvement. I take all of my images in RAW. Today the lens I will take arrived, a 18-135 DA, first pics on the K-x on f8 look great. I take it from the comments that the K70 will do much better in low light conditions than my K-x, is that correct?
Once again, thank you so much for your replies.

04-12-2022, 11:07 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bauie Quote
I take it from the comments that the K70 will do much better in low light conditions than my K-x, is that correct?
Yes that is correct. They'll also be more stable (less prone to motion blur), far better dynamic range, and way more headroom for cropping. The K-70 is a fine choice.

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Pentax-K-70-vs-Pentax-K-x

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-12-2022 at 11:14 AM.
04-12-2022, 12:02 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bauie:
... I will be doing the usual landscape, architectural photos but I also like to do low light photos ... I take it from the comments that the K70 will do much better in low light conditions than my K-x, is that correct? ... I take all of my images in RAW ...
Yes, the K-70 will be noticeably better than your K-x in low light. You'll also get better dynamic range for landscape and architecture; more leeway to work with bright highlights and deep shadows.
04-12-2022, 12:42 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too bought a K-x several years ago and liked it so much I bought a second hand one for back up. A couple years ago I wanted to upgrade and bought the K-70. It was not a mistake for me. Several others have mentioned the many positives for it so I will not repeat them. I did sell the second hand K-x to a man who was looking for cameras for a group of youth to whom he was teaching photography. I kept the one I bought new as a back up to my K-70. I will say that to me it handles and feels very similar to the K-x and the controls are well placed. Another agreement I have is, get the Yvon Borque book for the K-70, it gives you much more information then the manual. Good luck with your choice.

04-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
The main reasons that speak for the K-70 in my opínion are: Excellent viewfinder, fully articulated and much better rear screen, excellent astrotracer camera, very accurate center AF with fast lenses. On the other side you lose those AA-batteries (I still miss them).
(my bold)

It has astrotracer capability, but requires an O-GPS1 unit to make use of it. Just for those who might not know that.
04-12-2022, 02:06 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
It (the K-70) has astrotracer capability, but requires an O-GPS1 unit to make use of it. Just for those who might not know that.

True, also that the O-GPS1 is out of production (parts supply issues) and fairly thin on the ground (and therefore expensive) whereas its anticipated replacement, the O-GPS2, won't be available for some time yet!
04-12-2022, 06:14 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will take arrived, a 18-135 DA, first pics on the K-x on f8 look great. I take it from the comments that the K70 will do much better in low light conditions than my K-x, is that correct?
Excellent lens choice! I have many premium lenses, but often turn to this one.

Indeed, the K-70 will be even better for lower noise and quality preservation at higher ISO settings over the K-x. As for my own experience, I owned the very similar, but slightly upgraded next model after the K-x, the 12mp K-r as my lightweight DSLR model for some years. It was better for dealing with low lighting/higher ISO than my flagship 14.7mp K20D at this time, which I had bought new at 1/2 price after it was replaced b the K-7. I got many fine shots from the K-r, and as a lighter-weight walk-around alternative. Then I got the subsequent 16mp K-5, then the K-5 IIs as my flagship models, both new at about 1/2 price after the arrival of the next flagship, the K-3. I noticed its low light/higher ISO performance was even a bit better than the K-r, and resolution looked at least as good as the K20D, but definitely better in dynamic range. However, I did notice better fine detail in images from the K-5 IIs, no doubt due to the AA filter being omitted- indicated by the "s". Of course, being a flagship model the VF is better than the K-r, but the K-r still being the more compact, lightweight alternative.

Eventually the 20mp K-S2 replaced the K-r as entry-level, but with many upgrades, including the pro-level 100% VF, yet still close to the K-r in size and weight. Quite a remarkable advancement in this class of camera. This model as well as all models since have omitted the AA filter, but have another such filter that can be switched in if there should be a moire problem in the subject matter. This designing is unique to Pentax as far as I know. I a new K-S2 in early 2016 at a terrific closeout price after the K-70 arrived. I then gave away the K-r. For me, I could see a difference in imaging detail compared to the K-r, but not when compared to the K-5 IIs. Eventually, I acquired the 24mp KP, and was pleasantly surprised that I could detect even a bit better fine detail in images from it! I still love and use my K-S2 when I want its special features with its small size, and my K-5 IIs when I want its control features and fine capabilities. Though the KP is tops, imaging with these two cameras is still excellent.

Less than 2 years ago now, I finally decided to add the Full Frame K-1 II with its excellent FA 28-105mm kit lens. My having some superb FF lenses, bought many years ago for use with my Pentax 35mm film cameras, pushed me in this direction, as I am very happy to use these once again in their respective angle or field-of-view. Imaging and low-light/higher ISO performance and overall image quality have been outstanding. That said, my KP can push quite close to the performance of the K-1 II, an amazing accomplishment! The KP is a beautifully-made camera, with wonderfully refined engineering and imaging.

Since you are accustomed to shooting medium-format film, it should be interesting to see how close you might find the mage quality to be from the more advanced APS-C DSLR models, whether the K-70 or the KP.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-12-2022 at 06:31 PM.
04-14-2022, 06:32 AM   #23

Original Poster
Got my K-70 today. I just have two quick questions that I can't find answers to in the manual.
Can I turn shake reduction on and off quickly without going through the menus?
Unlike my old K-x it doesn't have a flash setting on the dial. If I use my METZ (with a Pentax module) flash, what setting do I use? I also have Elinchrom monolights with a wireless trigger, I guess I just put the trigger in the hot shoe but what setting on the camera doing I use?

Last edited by Bauie; 04-14-2022 at 06:41 AM.
04-14-2022, 08:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I've just got a new to me K70 as well. I agree that it would be nice if SR on and off were more accessible. On my K1 that is one of the options for the customizable FX buttons, but K70 has rather limited choices for those. Metering mode is another function I wish I could assign to an FX button. As it stands those buttons are near useless for me on this model's options.
The best way I can tell to quickly change SR is through the control panel (the INFO button menu with the grid of options). If you don't know about that, I definitely recommend setting it up. You hit the info button to get into it, and hit the +/- button to change the tiles. I like to get rid of the ones I don't use, so it's uncluttered and only shows what I want.
As for flash, I don't really know, and I agree it's a little offputting that there are seemingly no settings on the camera. However there isn't much on the K1, either (just flash on or flash on + redeye mode, and +1 to -2 ev comp). I think most flash settings are to be handled on the flash unit itself. I believe you can be in any mode, and most of them will go to auto ISO when a flash is detected.
04-14-2022, 08:20 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Got my K-70 today. I just have two quick questions that I can't find answers to in the manual. . . .
I again recommend getting the Ebook:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-70 eBook
Lifetime download access to Yvon Bourque's comprehensive Pentax K-70 guidebook! (PDF) Download here after purchasing $13.99 US
PentaxForums.com PayPal Donations
04-14-2022, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got my K-70 today. I just have two quick questions that I can't find answers to in the manual.
Unlike my old K-x it doesn't have a flash setting on the dial. If I use my METZ (with a Pentax module) flash, what setting do I use? I also have Elinchrom monolights with a wireless trigger, I guess I just put the trigger in the hot shoe but what setting on the camera doing I use?
Turn on the "auto SR" by going into the menu, the custom settings (indicated by a "C"). Go to page 3 and then item 19, Auto SR Off. Choose the off setting and the camera turns off SR when you use a self timer or a remote timer as the camera concludes it is on a tripod or other stable foundation. (This information was found on page 70 of the Yvon Bourque book on the K-70. well worth the small fee to purchase it here on PF. BTW, I also have the book on the K-x.)

For using the Metz or your monolights, I would suggest to use manual mode. When using a flash the light will be more or less equal in all photos so manual settings will keep the exposures the same.
04-14-2022, 10:05 AM   #27
Pentaxian

As mentioned by wadge22, setting a spot on the Control Panel is one choice … alternatively, if you're not using one of the User Modes, configure one of those for SR on (or off)
Not sure about non-dedicated flash units, is your Metz P-TTL compatible or just "Pentax-compatible"? … just make sure the shutter speed is 1/180 (or slower) and you'll at least get an even exposure … probably best work in Manual if the gun doesn't communicate with the camera, if it does, the gun will set the camera up as required … I think Program might be the best setting on the camera in this case.
I've used older Pentax guns on my DSLRs in the past, the gun "tells" the camera that it's ready by lighting the symbol in the viewfinder, after that it's all old-school Guide Numbers and look-up tables
Enjoy
04-15-2022, 06:36 AM - 3 Likes   #28

Original Poster
I did buy the ebook, very good and comprehensive although it doesn't talk about flash much.

My METZ flash (44AF-1) is Pentax compatible It is stamped "for Pen" on the body and worked beautifully with my K-x. I tried it today on my K70 and the results were poor. I tried it on full auto and on Av. It overexposed badly. The on camera flash however performed really well and I'm very happy with the results.

The test shots I took today on my new K70 I am VERY happy with. The light was a milky light overcast and the K70 handled it well. I alternated between AUTO and Av, I doubt I could get better exposures with a hand held meter. With the 18-35 the auto focus is so fast and accurate.
I do think that the K-x was a better camera ergonomically but I think I'll quickly get used to the layout on the K70.
Attached Images

04-15-2022, 05:53 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
The best way I can tell to quickly change SR is through the control panel (the INFO button menu with the grid of options).
Good insight for you. And congratulations in getting your extremely capable K-70! This is the quick-link access to many adjustments. Then the 4 buttons surrounding the OK button will be for navigation. These include setting "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, especially in the default "Bright" category. Once you go to Custom Image and open this category, tab down to Sharpening and use your rear thumb dial to put an "F" by the "S" it is that simple. This setting often results in superior fine detail in your images.

But first things first. I recommend against setting your mode dial to the green "Auto", as this will disable and deny access to most adjustments and controls. The camera will be the boss as to most all settings, even choice of the Custom Image category, according to what it thinks it sees. This mode is most useful when handing your camera to some total novice who is not familiar with your camera and doesn't have a clue, in order for them to take a snapshot with you in it, without accidentally messing up one of your settings.

Instead, for setting fully automated exposure by the camera of aperture and shutter speed, use the "P" Program mode, which will conversely allow access to controls and adjustments. Just one such feature is the unique and useful Pentax Hyper system. If you are in "P" mode, and you at some point would rather have a different shutter speed or aperture than that which the camera has chosen, simply use your finger or thumb dial to choose your preference, and the camera will simply obey! It will instantly shift into Av or Tv operation without your having to first change the mode dial. You are now in Hyper Program mode. A touch of the green button will instantly restore full "P" operation. Very fast and efficient for making adjustments on the fly, especially in conditions of constantly changing lighting or going against different backgrounds.

In Manual mode, I believe your K-x also has Hyper Manual as a feature. You can use the green button to instantly achieve a meter- centered exposure setting, instead of individually twirling the finger and thumb dials to set aperture and shutter speed according to the meter indications. Then, if wanting a different aperture or shutter speed, first hit the AE-L button (which must be set to AE-L function instead of AF back button) then whichever you are selecting to change, the other will follow along to preserve your exposure value. The green button is also very efficient for taking spot-meter readings around a scene.

BTW, nice shots! No doubt you are already seeing some imaging improvements that come with your new K-70! Indeed, the AF performance of the DA 18-135mm is one of the best. When I need its great versatility, along with this exceptional AF performance, fine build quality with WR, and high quality imaging, yet compact for carrying, it has no rivals. I love this lens!

As to the Metz flash, its seems flash units relate differently to different Pentax bodies, especially those from a 3rd party. In this case, the overexposure tendency might be resolved simply by employing the K-70's flash comp control.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-15-2022 at 08:01 PM.
04-22-2022, 12:12 PM - 3 Likes   #30

Original Poster
The difference between the K-70 and the K-x really is night and day. I was putting the camera through all sorts of ad hoc tests. One shot I took was purposely severely underexposed. I opened it in Camera Raw, made an exposure and shadow adjustment and got a really decent image. That image would have been dead on the K-x. Thanks again to all that encouraged me to upgrade. The K-70 is amazing!