Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I can't recall a version of PS not having a grid guide in the crop tool.

04-18-2022, 02:52 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
I can't recall a version of PS not having a grid guide in the crop tool.
I think what the OP is referring to is the inclusion of the "rule of thirds" guidelines that SilkyPix originally included in it's cropping tool.
If, for example, one wanted a nicely framed 16:9 image, by choosing the appropriate ratio, the lines would appear within the cropping frame "auto-magically" and would move appropriately as the cropping frame is re-scaled.
So, with a combination of moving the crop within the image and resizing it to suit, the final composition could be arranged to conform to the "rule of thirds".
It's a concept that works in any aspect ratio and can help the "less artistic" of us produce aesthetically pleasing images
It's a feature I use frequently in IrfanView and would welcome in DCU if it was made available
04-18-2022, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DafTekno Quote
How to get Digital Camera Utility 5 to display cropping window guidelines?
On the View menu, select Show Grid. You can set the size of the grid in Tools | Options | Image Display | Grid spacing

One feature that DCU has that many other image processors don't is the ability to process PixelShift images.

Having said that, I rarely use DCU. I use DxO PhotoLab 5, which I really like. It's very capable and I find the layout easy to use. But one of the free options might be adequate if your needs are modest.
04-18-2022, 04:03 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
On the View menu, select Show Grid. You can set the size of the grid in Tools | Options | Image Display | Grid spacing

… but that's not the resizable cropping guidelines as incorporated in SilkyPix … just a fixed grid

04-18-2022, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #20

Hi Pentax People,

I recently got a KP, which is very nice.
But the bundled editing software (Digital Camera Utility 5 by SilkyPix) is not.

It doesn't have one of the main features I use, 1/3 & 2/3 horizontal & vertical guidelines in the cropping window.

The bundled software with our K-50 from a few years ago (Developer Studio 3.0 LE by SilkyPix) does have these cropping guidelines, is far better, and I'm very happy with it.

But, for some unknown reason, this older Pentax-specific bundled software won't open files make by the KP or our K-5, in JPEG or RAW (DNG/ PEG).

I can't work out why files taken on Pentax DSLR cameras won't open in Pentax-specific bundled software.

Or why the later, newer and supposedly better software (Digital Camera Utility 5) doesn't even have the cropping window guidelines.

Digital Camera Utility 5 also runs much slower on my Windows 7 PC, there being a several second time lag between setting changes and image refresh.

Can anyone suggest:

How to get my Developer Studio 3.0 LE working with files from the KP & K-5?

What free / inexpensive software is good for editing JPEG & RAW files?

I don't need particularly powerful editing abilities, like Photoshop has.
I just like to crop, alter exposure / contrast / colour balance / rotation.
All the things you'd do in the darkroom, in days gone by.
Developer Studio 3.0 LE is fine for my needs.

I don't like renting software (like current Adobe Lightroom), I prefer to 'own' it (like my old Photoshop 5.5, which unfortunately doesn't have cropping window guidelines).

Why doesn't my Pentax software work with my Pentax files?
Why is the newer bundled software significantly worse than that bundled several years ago?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks - D
I'm surprised that no one has suggested Photoshop Elements. For light to moderate editing usage it is quite usable. While I do subscribe to Adobe's Creative Cloud package, there are time when it is simply easier to use Elements. For your stated purposes I think it would be a good choice.
04-18-2022, 05:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I think what the OP is referring to is the inclusion of the "rule of thirds" guidelines that SilkyPix originally included in it's cropping tool.
If, for example, one wanted a nicely framed 16:9 image, by choosing the appropriate ratio, the lines would appear within the cropping frame "auto-magically" and would move appropriately as the cropping frame is re-scaled.
So, with a combination of moving the crop within the image and resizing it to suit, the final composition could be arranged to conform to the "rule of thirds".
It's a concept that works in any aspect ratio and can help the "less artistic" of us produce aesthetically pleasing images
It's a feature I use frequently in IrfanView and would welcome in DCU if it was made available
I lasted about 2 hrs with SP before going back to my other editing apps, so I don't recall how that's implemented, but in PS you can set the grid say at 100% and 3 subdivisions in prefs/guides, grids, slices and do the same toggling it (grid) on/off. Never used those guides often. But if the OP has PS 5.5 and Win7, I would do whatever to not have to figure out which old bit of SW to try and learn just for that feature. PS offers very decent work around, then there's the various actions which may still be floating around that would work as well and perhaps offer some of the other formal composition options like Fibonacci, quite possibly for free.
04-18-2022, 05:51 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BryantCP Quote
I'm surprised that no one has suggested Photoshop Elements. For light to moderate editing usage it is quite usable. While I do subscribe to Adobe's Creative Cloud package, there are time when it is simply easier to use Elements. For your stated purposes I think it would be a good choice.
I second to that. Photoshop Elements is a carrier of Adoba Camera Row. While I do have Afinity photo and all free software like GIMP, Camera Raw etc for most cases my workflow is the next:
  • Shoot in RAW
  • Open DNG file with ACR and apply default edition
  • If default is not good, try to apply additional changes with sliders of ACR
  • Open edited images with Elements
  • Crop if needed and save in JPEG with needed precision

04-19-2022, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Pentax People,

It doesn't have one of the main features I use, 1/3 & 2/3 horizontal & vertical guidelines in the cropping window.

The bundled software with our K-50 from a few years ago (Developer Studio 3.0 LE by SilkyPix) does have these cropping guidelines, is far better, and I'm very happy with it.

But, for some unknown reason, this older Pentax-specific bundled software won't open files make by the KP or our K-5, in JPEG or RAW (DNG/ PEG).

I can't work out why files taken on Pentax DSLR cameras won't open in Pentax-specific bundled software.

Or why the later, newer and supposedly better software (Digital Camera Utility 5) doesn't even have the cropping window guidelines.

Digital Camera Utility 5 also runs much slower on my Windows 7 PC, there being a several second time lag between setting changes and image refresh.

Can anyone suggest:

I don't like renting software (like current Adobe Lightroom), I prefer to 'own' it (like my old Photoshop 5.5, which unfortunately doesn't have cropping window guidelines).

Why is the newer bundled software significantly worse than that bundled several years ago?

Thanks - D
I so agree with you regarding owning your software. Until recently, that is exactly what I did. However, once I was introduced to Lightroom Classic and the Adobe Suite I had to change my very unchangeable mind. I now have a yearly subscription which provides me with the absolute latest in software development and updates. Along with the subscription comes all the short helpful videos I need to further develop my skills. I am not trying to convince you otherwise, but from a guy who was married to an old version of Photoshop loaded on my Mac, the subscription and the tools I now have make all the difference in the world. I think you might be pleasantly surprised at the ease of use and your final products. I encourage you to give it a try. You can always unsubscribe. And NO, I don't get a cut!
04-19-2022, 07:43 AM   #24

Hi Pentax People,

Can anyone suggest:

Thanks - D
On the totally free software front, Irfanview is very usable for basic and intermediate tasks it is particularly good at batch operations (not something you asked for I know)

For more advanced editting GIMP is very capable. It probably does most of what Adobe does but for free. As with all more complex software there is a learning curve. If you have ever used other editing software that uses layers then I think the curve would not be too steep
04-19-2022, 07:44 AM   #25
Forum Member

Does anybody use Adobe products? Since they've gone to a subscription model, their stuff is a lot more affordable, and it's all very powerful.

I've been using photoshop professionally for about 35 years, but Lightroom is also very good from what I hear.
04-19-2022, 07:54 AM   #26

Photos: Albums
Hi Pentax People,

Can anyone suggest:

Thanks - D
I can really relate to your letter.

Adobe Photoshop is great for jpegs, not so for raw images.

Corel works with raw images but I didnt think it was all that user friendly.

However looks like youve got a lot of great suggestions. Good Luck
04-19-2022, 08:00 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote
Other than Silkypix I believe Rawtherepee is the only editor that supports Pixelshift. Please correct me if I am incorrect.
I process my pixel shift images with ON1
04-19-2022, 08:05 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
I second to that. Photoshop Elements is a carrier of Adoba Camera Row. While I do have Afinity photo and all free software like GIMP, Camera Raw etc for most cases my workflow is the next:
  • Shoot in RAW
  • Open DNG file with ACR and apply default edition
  • If default is not good, try to apply additional changes with sliders of ACR
  • Open edited images with Elements
  • Crop if needed and save in JPEG with needed precision
It's important for the OP to know that the ACR in Elements provides access to only a subset of the functionality that other Adobe ACR applications provide. My version of Elements is years old now, and it's been useful and a worthwhile purchase, but there's more ACR functionality available in other Adobe applications.
04-19-2022, 08:06 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I must admit I immediately convert the Pentax Raw files to DNG then process the images in Lightroom. I am still using v4.4 which I bought outright many years ago.
04-19-2022, 08:12 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivar_bg Quote
FastStone is a fast and free option...
I use Faststone for browsing, but even with it set for all its "raw (slowest)" options, have never been to get the same dynamic range from raw (PEF or DNG) with it that I have with other applications. I can even get better raw conversions from the much-maligned-for-the-purpose Corel (Paintshop, and the subset of Aftershot included with it.)