Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2022, 08:13 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Probably the hardware limitation

I am a fan of On1 Raw and use it exclusively. Regardless of the software, your limitation is the hardware and importantly the graphic card. Once I updated my graphic card everyone of my photo processing programs worked perfectly. Yes, I own Lightroom Classic, Photoshop 6, DXO Lab 4 and a few other lesser known programs.

04-19-2022, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #32

I'll add my vote to Darktable or Rawtherapee as well.

I've been using Darktable for everything from editing normal RAW files to converting digital negative scans done by camera and always found it easy to use, once you find the module you're looking for.
04-19-2022, 08:34 AM   #33
mwm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good info here on this thread. I use Lightroom 6.0 in which I purchased years ago. Transferred to two different computers but when I upgraded to Mac book pro, my version of Lightroom is not supported for the Mac book. I don’t edit enough to pay monthly for something I don’t use often.
Any suggestions on what is compatible and comparable to Lightroom?
Thanks
04-19-2022, 08:57 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mwm Quote
Good info here on this thread. I use Lightroom 6.0 in which I purchased years ago. Transferred to two different computers but when I upgraded to Mac book pro, my version of Lightroom is not supported for the Mac book. I don’t edit enough to pay monthly for something I don’t use often.
Any suggestions on what is compatible and comparable to Lightroom?
Thanks
Darktable has a macOS version that you might be able to use. There are installation instructions on their website.

04-19-2022, 09:19 AM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DafTekno Quote
Hi Pentax People,

I recently got a KP, which is very nice.
But the bundled editing software (Digital Camera Utility 5 by SilkyPix) is not.

It doesn't have one of the main features I use, 1/3 & 2/3 horizontal & vertical guidelines in the cropping window.

The bundled software with our K-50 from a few years ago (Developer Studio 3.0 LE by SilkyPix) does have these cropping guidelines, is far better, and I'm very happy with it.

But, for some unknown reason, this older Pentax-specific bundled software won't open files make by the KP or our K-5, in JPEG or RAW (DNG/ PEG).

I can't work out why files taken on Pentax DSLR cameras won't open in Pentax-specific bundled software.

Or why the later, newer and supposedly better software (Digital Camera Utility 5) doesn't even have the cropping window guidelines.

Digital Camera Utility 5 also runs much slower on my Windows 7 PC, there being a several second time lag between setting changes and image refresh.

Can anyone suggest:

How to get my Developer Studio 3.0 LE working with files from the KP & K-5?

How to get Digital Camera Utility 5 to display cropping window guidelines?

What free / inexpensive software is good for editing JPEG & RAW files?

I don't need particularly powerful editing abilities, like Photoshop has.
I just like to crop, alter exposure / contrast / colour balance / rotation.
All the things you'd do in the darkroom, in days gone by.
Developer Studio 3.0 LE is fine for my needs.

I don't like renting software (like current Adobe Lightroom), I prefer to 'own' it (like my old Photoshop 5.5, which unfortunately doesn't have cropping window guidelines).

Why doesn't my Pentax software work with my Pentax files?
Why is the newer bundled software significantly worse than that bundled several years ago?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks - D
Hi,
Pentax takes you by surprise, from time to time, with weird stuff. For example: KP's battery is weak compared to the machine power. In terms of software, try Gimp from Linux or Row Therapee. In terms of price, they are excellent because they are free, and Gimp is getting closer to Photoshop and growing.
04-19-2022, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Pentax People,

It doesn't have one of the main features I use, 1/3 & 2/3 horizontal & vertical guidelines in the cropping window.

The bundled software with our K-50 from a few years ago (Developer Studio 3.0 LE by SilkyPix) does have these cropping guidelines, is far better, and I'm very happy with it.

But, for some unknown reason, this older Pentax-specific bundled software won't open files make by the KP or our K-5, in JPEG or RAW (DNG/ PEG).

I can't work out why files taken on Pentax DSLR cameras won't open in Pentax-specific bundled software.

Or why the later, newer and supposedly better software (Digital Camera Utility 5) doesn't even have the cropping window guidelines.

Digital Camera Utility 5 also runs much slower on my Windows 7 PC, there being a several second time lag between setting changes and image refresh.

Can anyone suggest:

I don't like renting software (like current Adobe Lightroom), I prefer to 'own' it (like my old Photoshop 5.5, which unfortunately doesn't have cropping window guidelines).

Why is the newer bundled software significantly worse than that bundled several years ago?

Thanks - D
My review:

Review: Affinity Photo vs Photoshop - Hands-On Tests | PentaxForums.com

Cheers,
Cameron
04-19-2022, 09:30 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I mostly use opensource apps RawTherapee and gimp in Linux.

They do have windows versions(ports) but I would caution you to consider an upgrade to that system, not only for speed but for security as although win10(now 11) is invasive and basically malware imo, it's still slightly more safe for casual users than the no longer supported or security updated windows 7. It's not going to run well on that old computer though.

[self redacted Linux proselytizing as off topic]

04-19-2022, 09:40 AM   #38

Photos: Albums
My recommendations:
Windows: photoshop express or Rawtherapy
Mac: Polarr or Rawtherapy

The Polarr is quite new for me, but I enjoy the many of available free pre defined picture methods.
04-19-2022, 09:50 AM   #39

Hi Pentax People,

Can anyone suggest:

Thanks - D
one more for darktable... FREE and it does almost evertthing... i had no fun w/ silkypix...
04-19-2022, 09:52 AM   #40

Do try "Darktable", it's open source software, made for photographers by photographers including raw conversiion.
04-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by fantom Quote
I have a KP and as software I use GIMP for Jpeg files, and for Raw files I use Darktable I find it Excellent even if at first the interface found it difficult.There are many videos on youtube on how to use it.Both programs are free.

https://www.darktable.org/
Depending on the type of editing required, if it's RAW file processing, then Darktable, RawTherapee, maybe Lightzone or even DigiKam. There's also the very decent AfterShot (commercial).

If it's just removing red eyes, lightening this and that and the such, all of the above can do most of that, plus the Gimp, also Krita might be of interest.

And Digikam is a picture editor and catalog that's a fairly all around tool that also plays well with the others.

All of those work in most operating systems (at least Linux and Windows, maybe also MacOS for most).

And, finally, don't stay on Windows 7. It's a stale system that's barely maintained. You can't even put it online any more. Upgrade it to 10, or better, 11, or if you have something against the recent versions of Windows, just slap Linux on the machine.
04-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #42

Hi Pentax People,

Can anyone suggest:

Thanks - D
Since you have Photoshop 5.5 (I use CS5 for everything) why not just make a macro for each of the crop sizes you want. Have it draw a rectangular selection for each, which you can then move into the appropriate position with your cursor. There's a more complicated method, making a rectangle on a separate layer for each of the positions and save. Load the appropriate one, change opacity to allow the position to be visible. Select the rectangle. Change layer to background layer with the selection outline visible. Crop, and then delete the rectangle layer.

Last edited by Cary W; 04-19-2022 at 10:34 AM. Reason: clarity
04-19-2022, 10:40 AM   #43

DXO Optics Pro is great, and FREE
04-19-2022, 11:33 AM   #44

I am now going to throw something different into 'the pot' !
I got Photoshop Elements 11 many years ago when it was 'one off' purchase (no subs needed) and found that excellent for processing my DNG RAW files.
However, last year I got a special offer on PaintShop Pro 2022 and am now a total convert and find that it does everything I want and is fairly simple to use.
What is more, if you want to be 'lazy' it has lots of presets in the editing menus.
It came in a bundle complete with Aftershot 3 but frankly PSP2022 does it all much easier !

Peter
04-19-2022, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of good advise here, but I'll add my opinion.
I am an old fashioned processor, I keep the RAW conversion and the image editing more or less separated. Although I was familiar with Photoshop (for my job), I mainly used Picture Window Pro for photo editing at home. At that time, PWP handled 48 bit TIF images, while Photoshop could only handle a limited number of transformations in 48b. Those days are gone of course, but I stayed with the newer PWP versions during the years. It was a lot easier to learn than Photoshop (but pretty different, so it took some time) and it cost only $90. The Photoshop suite was about $800, so you used an illegal version or you didn't use it at all.
Nowadays, PWP 7 and 8 can be downloaded free of charge. PWP 8 has no RAW conversion, but PWP 7 does. I used it many years. The weak part is noise reduction. The rest is OK and easy to use. A big advantage, in my opinion, is that it works in HSV or HSL color space. Bright colors tend to wash out and get white when you edit in RGB color space, while the hue is much better preserved in HSV. When you edit TIF or JPG in PWP, you can select your color space: HSV, HSL and (in some transformations) RGB. There is a very responsive and helpful community in a forum.

Nowadays I use DxO Photolab 5 for RAW conversions. It is expensive, but not a monthly fee, and has probably the best noise reduction of all RAW applications. The optical corrections are also excellent (geometrical, CA, purple fringing and lens-specific sharpening without halos). If you want to use it, you can check in advance if your camera/lens combinations are supported. It is a heavy application, so you need fast hardware.
After RAW conversion I still use Picture Window Pro for further editing. PWP7 is a relatively light application.

Good luck with selecting your software :-)