Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax better color than Nikon

Well with my friends at least
Couldn't get a color cast out of the D80 a buddy was using, handed him a K20D, set it up, adjusted the color temp (in K) with a touch of warming) and BOOM right on for color. Nothing we tried could get it to not have a color cast without major PS work.
Similar thing happened with his D2x and a D300... Doesnít help either that they canít figure out their cameras and I have a whopping 5 min to try and figure it out for them.

Anyhow the K20D performed flawlessly and they were impressed how well it did, and how easy it was to set the WB and tweak it.
+1 Pentax
Of course they said it was because my equipment is calibrated to Pentax... nope sorry using "Box" profiles for printers and a Spyder to calibrate the monitor.

12-15-2008, 04:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

some people prefer Nikon's approach to color management - cooler approach that is

am sure if you go on to flikr you will see many stunning images made through the D80 & 300

But I must admit if you are into Velvia color images (which I am)then Pentax def seems to have an edge

D
12-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The older Nikon's, D1 etc had some cast problems, quickly fixed in PS.

My D200 and K10D still need s smidge of adjusting in PS, usually just a fine tune for WB, but not nearly as much as my older cameras.

Dave
12-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #4

[QUOTE=dylansalt;419412
But I must admit if you are into Velvia color images (which I am)then Pentax def seems to have an edge.
[/QUOTE]

That's funny. Most people claim to use Pentax because of it's color fidelity and subtlety.

And THAT'S funny too because every lens plays merry havoc with color rendition. There is no comparing color between my DA40mm LTD and my FA 50mm. The 40 is cool and the 50 is warm. (midtones and highlights - shadows are similar)

Comparing colors in systems, software and sensors is difficult at best. We'd need to take into account specific lenses as well as sample variation.

Subtlety and color separation are also far more important to me than overall tonal differences.

12-23-2008, 01:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Well with my friends at least
Couldn't get a color cast out of the D80 a buddy was using, handed him a K20D, set it up, adjusted the color temp (in K) with a touch of warming) and BOOM right on for color. Nothing we tried could get it to not have a color cast without major PS work.
Similar thing happened with his D2x and a D300... Doesnít help either that they canít figure out their cameras and I have a whopping 5 min to try and figure it out for them.

Anyhow the K20D performed flawlessly and they were impressed how well it did, and how easy it was to set the WB and tweak it.
+1 Pentax
Is it easy to set manual WB on K20 ?

I love the pre-sets and how easy that is to have a go at. But haven't gone with manual WB yet. (Not much of a problem when RAW, but still)
12-23-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Oh so far I've found the K20D to be the easiest to set manual WB (comparing D40, D80, D200, 20D and 40D). I love how you don't have to set the camera on MF and that you can select a small area (anywhere in the frame, not just the middle) to be your neutral reference color just like the WB eyedropper tool in Photoshop.

But as always, it's subjective. You can always learn and when practiced/done often enough it'll be second nature.
12-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I gotta say that Pentax seems to have got it right with colors. If me, the photog, gets it right, the K100D does so too. I often slide the color to the left, to the right, and end up just were it was in the first place (WB daylight jpgs foremost).

This helps for estimating the lenses' color rendering characteristics (like Frank said, lots of difference).

One special question for me would be: How cool can that camera be?
What I mean by this is described here,
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/42876-how-redu...aturation.html

Conclusion thereof would be that any Pentax or Nikon have 'daylight balanced' sensors and therefore you end up with a light blue filter in the described circumstances. Maybe just take a Sigma cam and take that red filter out :-)

Georg (the other)