Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #46
Veteran Member

OK, go find me a Pentax mount 70-200mm f/4 IS USM, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM, 400mm f/5.6 USM, 500mm f/4 IS USM, 600mm f/4 IS USM, 800mm f/5.6 IS USM, 400mm f/2.8 IS USM, 300mm f/2.8 IS USM, 135mm f/2 USM, 85mm f/1.2 USM, 50mm f/1.2 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM (need I continue? )

Like I mentioned before, if you do not need any of these lenses and are fine working with older manual focus lenses for landscape/scenics, then Pentax is an excellent system, end of debate.

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
How are their lenses limited to the small range of EF and EF-s lenses? That's just simply not true.

12-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never been a Canon user (except for P&S w/ a G7, nice camera), and have recently been a DSLR Pentax user. What attracted me to pentax was the cost-to-benefit ratio, and the addiction of LBA! It's so much fun having the ability to play with the 30-year old glass that can still create awesome pictures. Given, they are not AF, and I'll admit pentax doesn't have the AF offering that Canon does (hands down).

To get a nice canon setup would have cost me too much money. For the pro photographer, I understand why they go for canon/nikon. There is so much more modern lenses and equipment out there for them, it would be hard to not go that way. Just think about it and see how pentax doesn't try to compete on the true "Pro" level against the top Nikon and Canon cameras that go for $5k + each. Pentax is only competing with the lower level pro canon/nikon cameras at ~1k with similar features.

Also, about sports and other action photography that typically requires AF to get good shots. If you are doing it to get paid, it helps tremendously to rely on your equipment to capture the correct focus and get those fleeting moments without worry. But for me, shooting sports is a challenge that I wholeheartedly accept while using MF lenses. I'm sure that I could still rely on my MF skills to produce photos if I were getting paid, but sure I'd miss a few shots because I can't dial in the focus like a lightning fast USM lens can. But I'd also get lots of great shots.

The great discussions that the entire line of pentax glass creates is also great. It's like you buy a pentax camera and start getting into the old glass, and you become part of a community. Kind of neat if you ask me.

I guess when it boils down to it, Pentax is great for hobbyists and amateurs, but Canon is great for the Pros. I'm not saying that you can't be a Pro with a Pentax, because I would probably try, but I am just saying that it would be much easier to rely on the plentiful and abundant offerings that Canon has.

PS I love all my Takumars, K-, M-, and A- series lenses!
12-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Just stumbled onto this thread, which seems to have no real point that I can discern. Can someone explain to an old man what all of this is about (other than wasting electrons)?
Isn't that pretty much the definition of Internet discussion forums?
12-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Papou Quote
On a seriouse note though, Do a count of how many proffesionals use Nikon or Canon Camera's as well as Glass and that should tell you something, no??..
Well, yes, but not necessarily what you might think. For one thing, it says something about Canon's and Nikon's professional support system. It says something the ease of renting lenses for those systems compared to others. And it says something about the availability of the very high end lenses that these folks may be depending on. But those aren't necessarily the same considerations the average shooter has. And I don't think one can possibly conclude anything about the actual quality of the systems from this.

12-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
OK, go find me a Pentax mount 70-200mm f/4 IS USM, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM, 400mm f/5.6 USM, 500mm f/4 IS USM, 600mm f/4 IS USM, 800mm f/5.6 IS USM, 400mm f/2.8 IS USM, 300mm f/2.8 IS USM, 135mm f/2 USM, 85mm f/1.2 USM, 50mm f/1.2 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM (need I continue? )
Yes, obviously, you can list lenses that Canon has that Pentax doesn't. Although you can indeed get 70-200/2.8 lenses for Pentax, and they will be stabilized. But sure, especially at the long telephoto end, Canon clearly has Pentax beat. But Pentax also offers plenty that Canon doesn't (or only does at a much higher price tag). It all depends on your needs, which again is why it is silly to make broad sweeping generalizations here. Especially given that probably less than 1% of all Canon shooters will ever own even *one* of those lenses.
12-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Get me a 21mm pancake and a 40mm pancake and a 70mm pancake and a 31mm and a 43mm and a 77mm and 50-135mm etc etc etc from canon.......... thats a pretty invalid point you got there.

However I don't really care what camera brand people use, it seems to me that alot of people are discussing stuff like this and the arguments that follow are very often pretty useless.

Last edited by Shashinki; 12-16-2008 at 02:51 PM.
12-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the link. It was a very enjoyable read.