Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #31
edl
Veteran Member

Good choice. I'm always thinking about getting a 5D + L glass, but the price scares me away.

The K10D will probably go up after Xmas, after I've put a few hundred shots through the K20D. I'm guessing around $375-400.

Hinman has a clean K10D in the marketplace right now for that price...he's very reputable.

Tip: Make sure you get a genuine Pentax M42 adapter if you go after those Taks...and try not to get yellow ones if you can help it.

12-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Figures, one of the Canon moderators locked the thread for "circular arguments". I still think it's funny that the Canon VS Nikon thread there is over 50 pages long, yet nobody locks it.
12-15-2008, 11:25 PM   #33
Igilligan

Flash

QuoteOriginally posted by inuafrj Quote
AF Speed is the only disadvantage of Pentax I think compared to C and N.. Have you bought your Pentax gear already?
What about the Flash? Do you believe the PTTL system is equal to the Nikon Flash system?
12-16-2008, 02:03 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
I agree completely, but coming from someone whose signature reads "If Jesus had a camera he would use Takumars", I would think passionate brand loyalty would not be such a foreign concept
I have a friend who joyfully uses Takumars on his Canon. I think no less of him for not mounting them on a Pentax.

And I don't get worked up over whether others choose to use them or not. I love them because they give great results and fit my meager budget.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 12-16-2008 at 02:08 AM.
12-16-2008, 02:05 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
Can someone clear something up for me really quick, the cheaper priced old M42 Takumars and other lenses are said to be soft and have extreme CA on DSLRs. Is this true? I don't really want to argue the point that they don't (from what I've heard) unless I'm sure.
You could always browse the images in the humongous Takumar Club thread and see for yourself.

Be forewarned, though, your next step will likely be going on a hunt for some Takumars of your own. (We'll be thrilled to have you join us).
12-16-2008, 02:07 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I have a friend who joyfully uses Takumars on his Canon. I think no less of him for not mounting them on a Pentax.
But maybe Jesus would use Sonnars. Or Nikkors. Or Rokkors. See?
12-16-2008, 02:09 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
But maybe Jesus would use Sonnars. Or Nikkors. Or Rokkors. See?
Only if He could mount them on his Spotmatic.

12-16-2008, 02:19 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ah you're incorrigible
12-16-2008, 02:41 AM   #39
Inactive Account

Or maybe on his K1000 with the appropriate adapter.
12-16-2008, 02:57 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
Or maybe on his K1000 with the appropriate adapter.
with original asahi pentax adapter, to be precise.
12-16-2008, 03:47 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Dont often get into these types of debates n know i shouldnt now but what the eck..As long as its all in fun..
On a seriouse note though, Do a count of how many proffesionals use Nikon or Canon Camera's as well as Glass and that should tell you something, no??..
I dont think that the majority of these professionals are coupla sangars short of a Picnic in doing so either..They just want the quallity to give back the return.
At least thats my way of thinking..I do own a Pentax istDS and a K10D and yep i'm happy with them both as they serve the purpose i bought them for .
Would i change to Nikon or Canon if i could afford it or had the spare $$??..You betcha::..And i'm not saying that to be unkind or bash Pentax in any way either.
Ive had a play around with all these sytems and my eye tell me what it thinks gives a better result..Mind you, like its said , its in the Photographer mostly rather than the tool the Photographer uses i'll admit, but being a keen Fisherman who cleans and fillets his own Fish i also know the difference between a good blade for filletiing thats costs more than a cheapie but is effrtless in its work, than the cheapie that does the job but your forever having to keen its edge and the job is more tiresome at days end..
Both knives fillet the Fish but the good knife is the pride n joy for its ease....
Cheers
12-16-2008, 04:08 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
What about the Flash? Do you believe the PTTL system is equal to the Nikon Flash system?
Nikon's flash system is decidedly and demonstrably far superior to what Pentax is currently offering. Dead easy to use with predictable and consistent results. But then again Pentax has never been strong in this area. I dare say even TTL offerings of old from Minolta and Olympus can give our current P-TTL flash guns a good run.

If I were an event shooter who uses on camera flash, Pentax would certainly not be my choice of system. Then again I don't shoot events and I avoid on-camera flash like the plague.
12-16-2008, 05:00 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Papou Quote
my eye tell me what it thinks gives a better result..
I look at the ads for Nikon and Canon systems and wonder about that, up until the time I look at the ads for Sigma and Tamron etc, and then I don't wonder any more.

Digital fine tuning's a wonderful thing, isn't it?

I doubt that the best Nikon or Canon lenses are any better in overall result terms than the best of Pentax or Olympus, come to that. There are, of course, differences in functionality arising from quality of mechanism, maximum aperture etc etc, and those may help in some situations. That's why we find independent lens makers vying for market share.

Taking matters a stage further, the quality of Voigtlander lenses is hardly arguable, and they're available in Nikon, Canon, Leica and Pentax mounts. If a number of buyers didn't think they provided an edge for them, then such lenses wouldn't be available at the premium prices they currently command.

What I'd like from Pentax is the range of lenses that the other makers produce, but that's more a convenience thing than a quality matter.

If I didn't have a Pentax, would I have a Canon or a Nikon? Possibly, but I think I'd be more likely to have an Olympus, simply because they're smaller, lighter and more innovative than the other offerings.

Price doesn't really enter into it, at least for me, though I might baulk at a Leica M8. Then again, my friends thought I was a bit loopy when I bought an old IIIf a few years ago, so you never know...
12-16-2008, 06:24 AM   #44

Canon makes great DSLRs. So do everyone else.

But I won't ever find the argument "Canon has a huge range of lenses" to be particularly persuasive.

They have double-ups everywhere, due to the IS/non IS. And a f2.8/f4.0 version. Which is all good, offers a lot of choices, but you definitely pay for it.

To buy a weather sealed setup for Canon would cost me ridiculous amounts, I'm just an amateur, so bang-for-buck isn't there.

And really, how many lenses do people need?
12-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
Figures, one of the Canon moderators locked the thread for "circular arguments". I still think it's funny that the Canon VS Nikon thread there is over 50 pages long, yet nobody locks it.
Of course Skip locked it because the thread was going nowhere and you seemingly had your mind made up to drop your Canon system and go Pentax. Do yourself a favour and stop trying to put others in bad light because they don't agree with your opinion.

As to the others, I knew there was a reason why I missed the Pentax forums and it's primarily because of the maturity and respect people here have. I full-well expected to walk into a fire here and get burned alive but it's good seeing old faces and many new ones who are enjoying the Pentax system.

Maxington: Lens availability is quite persuasive in many regards, the draw to Canon for me was it gave me the opportunity to have the fast primes I wanted for pit/paddock work with some weddings and the long telephotos I needed for my motorsports/track work. I looked many times at switching to Nikon before I got a Mk3 and the thing that kept me tethered to Canon was they didn't have an 85 1.2, a 50 1.2, 35 1.4 or 24 1.4 which are all key lenses for low light work for me. I agree the double-ups are frustrating but it gives users so many options in that if you cannot afford an f2.8 version you can score the f4 version for a fraction of the cost and deal with the 1-stop loss of light. Paying for the weather sealing does hurt a bit and I know coming from Pentax that was a bit of a shock factor for me but it's a price I am more than willing to pay when I am standing out in -35 weather shooting snowmobiles or in torrential downpour shooting a race because I know I am covered (remember, only a handful of Canon's lenses are actually fully weather sealed as well and they are typically the IS version L lenses with a few others in there).

My opinion still stands as to each their own, we all have different needs that suit us and different budgets which will determine the gear route we take. I've got nothing against anyone who is a Pentax, Sony, Nikon, Leica, Minolta, Hassy or whatever brand shooter but I'd rather not see people pass off uneducated opinions to others just to stir the pot and get a little spark going.