Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2022, 03:39 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
... the D FA 100 mm 2.8 with an aperture ring, as it's built quality is subpar for a Pentax macro. The FA or F variant is the better choice then.
Personally speaking I have had no problem with my d f a 100mm f2.8 macro non WR

04-21-2022, 03:43 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
Exactly! Came here to say this.

A lot of rec's in this thread are based on high experience shooting bugs, critters, flowers, high detail stuff, etc.

However - I could see someone being advised to buy a DSLR, tripod, and macro lens for a variety of other conventional uses.
Document reproduction, film scanning, digital art archiving, engineering/forensic documentation, crime scene documentation, dentistry, etc.
Each different purpose can have their own quirks about what equipment would best fit your use.

I'd just hate to recommend stuff that isn't well suited for precisely what you need.
Of course overthinking everything we do is the best way to not make a decision.
The OP has an APS-C camera, so what are the choices?
A lens in the 35mm range which often gives insufficient distance for setting up lights and to close a working distance for just about everything, something in the 50mm range which, while an improvement over 35mm for the above reasons can still be on the short side, or move to 100mm and have a comfortable working distance with tighter background control.

That's about it there just isn't that much else to choose from. The Sigma 70mm was mentioned. I don't know much about their lenses other than the old truism that Sigma stands for SIGnificant MAlfunction. I suppose they might have gotten better in which case the 70mm might be a viable compromise.

---------- Post added Apr 21st, 2022 at 04:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Personally speaking I have had no problem with my d f a 100mm f2.8 macro non WR
Ditto with the D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro. It doesn't have an aperture ring. The build quality is right up there with the Limited lenses.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 04-21-2022 at 03:50 AM.
04-21-2022, 05:04 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That's about it there just isn't that much else to choose from. The Sigma 70mm was mentioned. I don't know much about their lenses other than the old truism that Sigma stands for SIGnificant MAlfunction. I suppose they might have gotten better in which case the 70mm might be a viable compromise.
I also had my issues with some old Sigma lenses, but the 70mm EX DG macro works without any issues on my K-70, as well as on my K-1. *) Built quality is also on a very high level with its metal construction. In regard to it's focal length the compromise is between focal length - which for macro is most time to short or to long depending on your subject - and its image quality, which is one of the best you can get.

If I did more 1:1 macros in nature, I would surley go for a longer focal length. For lower magnification on a repro stand 70 mm is still way to long and I would suggest a 35 mm for APS-C. On the other side it is a very, very good 70 mm 2.8 all purpose telephoto.

There is also a 105 variant, but as far as I know it's image quality is not on the same level, albeit very high as well.

*) As does my Sigma Art 35 mm f1.4.
04-21-2022, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any macro lens you can afford is probably fine. Selection criteria:

Focal length - how this impacts images influences the perspective and the working distance.

Manual focus or autofocus? Generally I like autofocus as I tend to use my macro lenses for general use as well as macro. In the general use I want autofocus, in macro work I often use manual focus.

Cost? There are a lot of inexpensive macro lenses particularly those that are manual focus. There are also ways to leverage existing lenses with extension tubes and bellows and close up diopter lenses. There are also some painfully expensive esoteric choices. Pick a budget for the lens and accessories (tripod, macro focusing ratio, etc. ) and then start selecting priorities.

Tripod prices are based on stability and weight. The lighter tripod with highest stability will costs the most. The intended use will make a huge difference - my hiking tripod requirements are very different from the tripod I carry in a car for drive to the site landscape shots. I will also say that I find that many tripod that are not cutting edge (heavier, not carbon, etc.) can be perfectly adequate. The delta between the top of the line and adequate is not going to impact quite a number of shot opportunities. The ease of use and edge cases are where the cream of the crop provide meaningful differences… so if you can suffer for your art, cheaper isn’t necessarily a problem. My father used an ancient Tiltall. It’s light, has a basic ball head, and probably has some resonance issues at particular frequencies. It suits his use well however.

04-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tansy Quote
... macro lens ... on a tight budget ...
What lenses do you already have?

Consider a Raynox DCR-150 or DCR-250 for approximately $70 USD instead of a full macro lens. They attach to the front of an ordinary lens and have a good reputation. The DC-150 paired with a Pentax 55-300 can get a versatile range of magnifications by zooming.

There's a running discussion with sample photos in the PF Raynox club. The thread is 10+ years old and many of its linked photos no longer work, so maybe read the first few pages then jump to the end for recent photos. The Raynox Macro club - PentaxForums.com

Regarding budget, extension tubes are even less expensive Raynox but introduce some complexities because your camera no longer controls the lens aperture. There are also cheaper diopters than Raynox but image quality might not be as good.

Having said all that, if you still decide to get a lens, every model of 50mm macro and 100mm macro made by Pentax gives good results, and shows up fairly often on the PF used marketplace. 50mm is better for larger subject like flowers, 100mm for small insects. (other manufacturers also made good macro lenses but are less available)
04-21-2022, 08:39 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tansy Quote
I have recently purchased a
Pentax K-70
I am looking for
A macro lens and a tripod
Any suggestions on which one to buy
Am on a tight budget so would be interested in second hand
It really depends on what you are trying to photograph

I usually use a 50mm and a 150mm skipping the 100mm but this is for FF
With cropped a 35mm and or 100mm is probably your best bet, It would be nice to know what lens you already have you might already have a cheap workaround by using a reverse mounted 50mm lens and all you would need is a $10- $20 adaptor.

There are very few macro lenses that do not preform well and when you get into the DOF and stopping down the lens almost all are good enough as diffraction will be your worst enemy.

As for tripods I prefer the smaller ones with legs that go down to less than a foot as much of my macro is done at ground level or near to objects that longer legs can become a hinders. I also like to use a good ball head as quick and easy setups is a must along with a long Jobu Surefoot NXM Multi-Position 5.5-inch Lensplate that can be used as a macro rail that can be quickly slid back and forth on your ballhead to adjust your working distance
04-22-2022, 04:22 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget to get a one-liter can of paint to help you adjust focus (just kidding) !

04-26-2022, 08:38 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery
I do next to no macro so can't help with that, but purely as a financial exercise I've just gone from a Manfrotto 055 and 168 ball head to a Benbo Trekker with Benbo ball head. Now, having used both, I would recommend the Benbo for its superior flexibility. It doesn't flex(!) it's just so adjustable it will put your camera and lens at lots of heights and angles the Manfrotto won't.

The financial aspect? Thanks to the wonders of fleabay I now have a £35 tripod kicking its heels for much of the year instead of a £90 one!

Last edited by The Jannie; 04-28-2022 at 02:06 AM.
04-26-2022, 06:25 PM   #24

I recently bought a "SLIK Sprint S110" and substituted the head with a "Joby ball head" and I love it.

It's compact, yet sturdy enough to handle some wind. I use it both when hiking and when taking macro shots.
05-02-2022, 11:49 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tripods - Shopgoodwill

Tamron 90 macro is FANTASTIC
Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Macro Lens for PENTAX from Japan #i14 | eBay