Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2007, 08:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Hello;

Generally before a project there is a discussion of possible themes that might be rendered for a photo shoot. Once the theme is established, I discuss it with a fashion stylist-editor who finds the appropriate clothes and accessories to realize the theme and eventually it is discussed with the hair and make-up artist and digital re-touch artist.
My biggest problem is getting my 11 year old daughter to if not cooperate then at least not hide and/or look annoyed.

While what you have to go through is infinitely more serious, I think you may actually have it easier.

03-15-2007, 08:57 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very Pretty

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
You clearly have reached the pinnacle of a serious market but there is a lot of imagination and creativity in you work - sure you are influenced by previous greats as everyone is - but there is a lot more to success than just knowledge. There is self-belief, the ability to deal with agencies, the ability to lead a team and direct a set. All of these also assume you know how to use a camera too.

Anyone who thinks its only technique is very naive, but the technique is obviously important too - far more so than the gear (as long as it has decent optics, manual mode and a hotshoe I suspect).

I also prefer to use zooms simply because it saves a lot of time and does not interrupt the flow of a shoot. I only shoot promotional pics of some contacts in the music bus - for flyers, covers etc. Heres the first attempt with a new studio in London and an old friend. I struggled a bit with setup as I never used the studio before, and she cant afford a bunch of assistants, but she was quite pleased with the set eventually.

http://i.pbase.com/o6/89/257389/1/75690244.GAMfToth.IMGP0424small.jpg
Steve...That is a really pretty image, beautifully lit and wonderfully intimate. Very nice..

Ben
03-15-2007, 09:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am Humbled..

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
My biggest problem is getting my 11 year old daughter to if not cooperate then at least not hide and/or look annoyed.

While what you have to go through is infinitely more serious, I think you may actually have it easier.
May I say..Mr.Cash? Because that is how you deserve to be addressed..

I am totally humbled by your work..You are a true artist! You are a GREAT photographer. I will not critique ones work, I will say however how ones work may have touched me and yours did in bucket loads..Pardon the cheap metaphor

Bravo Mr.Cash
03-15-2007, 09:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

May I say..Mr.Cash? Because that is how you deserve to be addressed..

I am totally humbled by your work..You are a true artist! You are a GREAT photographer. I will not critique ones work, I will say however how ones work may have touched me and yours did in bucket loads..Pardon the cheap metaphor

Bravo Mr.Cash
I recognize that I am a total hack, and must ask you to forgive me for not being able to tell if you're being sincere or facetious. "Artist" and "great" are certainly two words I would never attach to anything in connection to myself and photography.

My comment about your perhaps having it easier than a poor father with an uncooperative model was meant to express envy for the fact that everyone involved in your shoots is there for a common goal. My kid acts like having to cooperate with having her picture taken is akin to being asked to undergo elective root canal surgery.

Would you perhaps have any advice regarding this sort of thing? I feel certain I can't be the only shutterbug father with this particular problem.

03-15-2007, 09:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What...????

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I recognize that I am a total hack, and must ask you to forgive me for not being able to tell if you're being sincere or facetious. "Artist" and "great" are certainly two words I would never attach to anything in connection to myself and photography.

My comment about your perhaps having it easier than a poor father with an uncooperative model was meant to express envy for the fact that everyone involved in your shoots is there for a common goal. My kid acts like having to cooperate with having her picture taken is akin to being asked to undergo elective root canal surgery.

Would you perhaps have any advice regarding this sort of thing? I feel certain I can't be the only shutterbug father with this particular problem.
How about "Keeper of the Gate" and the graphic purity of "Abandoned" and "Little Green House" and my favorite "Dawn Patrol" They are incredibly "Reportage" in there approach. Are you telling me that I don't know my A-S from a hole in the ground?...Ok if it makes you feel better, here goes..Your a hack. Cash..Cut the Crap!

I really like your work..Sorry!

Last edited by benjikan; 03-15-2007 at 09:29 AM.
03-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

How about "Abondoned" and "Keeper of the Gate" and my favorite "Dawn Patrol" They are incredibly "Reportage" in there approach. Are you telling me that I don't know my A-S from a hole in the ground?...Ok if it makes you feel better, here goes..Your a hack.

I really like your work..Sorry!
You're very kind and I am honored that a recognized professional at the top of his craft would even take time to click and glance at my photos. That they would receive words of appreciation is so far beyond anything I could have ever expected that I can't adequately express it.

My photos all tend to have that "Reportage" aspect to them because I try to limit the photos I share on the internet to only those I have taken while in the driver's seat of my tractor-trailer truck. Everything is shot from about 8 ft off the ground, at telephoto range, and selected from whatever presents itself at random red lights.

Thank you again for the kind assessment and more especially for the encouragement it provides.
03-15-2007, 08:25 PM   #22
Forum Member

Yes, it did - by a long way. I'll keep this in mind the next time I face a similar light situation and execute it.

Thank you very much for the tip.

03-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Hi Ben,

agree with you, on your post.
for most parts it's been a struggle to get things together,
make up artist don't show, wannabe models, no wardrobe, no experience, it's a catch 22, it seams. That could lead to shooting less, or not at all , what could be a dangerous spiral the opposite direction , of taking less pictures, because not everything is ready.
what amazes most, besides your excellent work, is your personal strength, experience, practical views. Maybe it comes with being "parisienne" ,....
thanks again for the motivation, time to dig out some new ideas,....

here is one of my last years shot,

haven't seen my mom in while, guess it's time for spring in Paris,...
cheers, Robert
Never do a test without all of the "support team" I mentioned. Hair, Make-Up and Fashion-Accessory stylist and of course the Model. "IF YOU DON'T HAVE THIS TEAM YOU WILL BE WASTING YOUR PRECIOUS TIME."

Speak Soon
Ben