Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 143 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2022, 01:23 PM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
p87 in the Operating Manual would suggest it's possible!
It is indeed, and quite intuitively found: in playback mode press down on the d-pad and you can choose JPEG resolution and quality, aspect ratio, colour space, white balance, custom image styles, digital filters, sharpness, brightness (raise or lower overall exposure), high ISO NR and shadow protection

05-17-2022, 07:22 AM   #152
dlhawes

One more observation - raw files contain a TIFF version of the data, which is what you're looking at when you open the file for editing on a computer. If you were to "view raw files", all you'd see would be in hexadecimal or binary (depending on your viewer).
05-17-2022, 07:53 AM   #153
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
The impression I got from them was they weren't trying to make something proprietary, but just a poorly implemented feature that that they don't seem in a hurry to fix.
Generally, people don't intend to crash their cars when they run red lights, but the dents still happen.
Whether by intent or incompetence the outcome is the same. They have taken a free to use file type and made it into something only their software can open.
05-17-2022, 08:13 AM   #154
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
It is indeed, and quite intuitively found: in playback mode press down on the d-pad and you can choose JPEG resolution and quality, aspect ratio, colour space, white balance, custom image styles, digital filters, sharpness, brightness (raise or lower overall exposure), high ISO NR and shadow protection
thank you to you and @kypfer

the press down on the d-pad was key to my figuring it out. even reading the manual didn't make sense with the hieroglyphics. It is a nice option. I can send shots while in the field using image synch after the fact and still shoot in RAW only. I have only needed this once before, but there were several times like yesterday I could have let other locals see a possible cool shot if they want to try such as this one. You wouldn't want to shoot these conditions in jpg but it is a unique subject worth getting.

05-17-2022, 08:35 AM   #155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Generally, people don't intend to crash their cars when they run red lights, but the dents still happen.
Whether by intent or incompetence the outcome is the same. They have taken a free to use file type and made it into something only their software can open.
Slight update on this issue. Someone posted another thread about how Gigapixel got an update to the RAW engine that was working out exporting as DNG. I got curious and tried DeNoise and Sharpen AI again. For DeNoise, one of the recent updates fixed importing the DNG and exporting as retained source profile. DNG's open ok in Raw Therapee now. Sharpen AI still has the problem, but hopefully that'll soon be fixed as well. I'm looking at changing up my workflow now.
05-17-2022, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
.... even reading the manual didn't make sense with the hieroglyphics.

Indeed! The use of "descriptive icons" in the place of plain text is all very well if the icons are big enough to decipher.
Some manuals are worse than others.
I've taken to keeping a loupe to hand if I'm referring to the printed manual so's I can figure out what the "smudge" is supposed to represent … even then, there's often need to refer back through the manual to see what it actually means!