Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2022, 06:27 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Those three shots right there are amazing. I'd have missed at least 2 of them due to AF :/

05-04-2022, 06:40 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The photos Iím talking about are not static. Some very good BIF photos came out when the K-3iii was first released.
I am now auditioning lenses to use with my Q-7 so I can carry a lighter kit.
In that case I would be talking manual focus, but that is a completely different discussion.
You completely missed my point. You can actually get only static images unless using video. You capture a moment in time. Even with manual focus great BIF shots have been made. You need a deeper view of the user experience. Iím not suggesting the k3iii canít do it - Iím saying looking at images is a very incomplete picture. Pun intended.

---------- Post added 05-04-22 at 09:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Thatís the kind of info I expect is what the op is looking for. Direct user report of improved results.
05-04-2022, 06:49 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Links to series showing the K3III's low-light and AF chops. Some in the third series were captured at ISO 25600:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/294721-post-your-hd-penta...ml#post5543967
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/294721-post-your-hd-penta...ml#post5543980
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/210-pentax-k-3-iii/423608-post-your-k3-i...ml#post5555221

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-04-2022 at 07:02 AM.
05-04-2022, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Velocidodo Quote
. . . The 55-300 is the PLM version, my apologies for missing that on the list. I know the kit lenses aren't the best, . . .
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
. . . I suggest rental because nothing beats hands on. Alternately find someone near you that has some of this gear and is willing to let you work with it.
I join in suggesting the OP spend money on renting equipment to get " hands on " experience

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

by signing up with LensRentals.com you may receive emails with discounts

another suggestion if " experienced " equipment is ok, check out the forums' marketplace

it can be sorted by country:

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com
05-04-2022, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Velocidodo Quote
I've always felt something wasn't quite right with the AF on the K-70. Prior to its death, my K-50 was dead on, first shot, every time. Using optical viewfinder, and it's set to AFS with Focus priority.

Yea so is the 300mm star, and the 1.4 TC, which is why I'm revisiting this, because there is a significant chunk of money to be saved buying now.

Thanks! It's reassuring to see votes in the same direction I was already leaning, as well as explanations backing up the reasoning.

Concerning technique, 90% moving subjects. Foxes running through fields hunting, raptors diving to catch food, eagles fishing, birds and bugs in flight, etc, which is why the AF hit on the first shot matters so much to me. For static subjects, I have the ability to take control of the focus, and I'm always pleased with the results.

The 55-300 is the PLM version, my apologies for missing that on the list. I know the kit lenses aren't the best, and honestly, I haven't touched the kit since getting the Sigma.

It's the "If it happens" that has me wondering if I should wait and see what the next year brings. But, as a bonus to the community, if I buy a K3-III tomorrow, they'll announce the next, newest, shiniest camera in 2 weeks, right after my return window closes. So maybe I should just do that to benefit everyone else.
Consider a factory refurbished K3III @$1399 US in the Ricoh store. Open box just $1499. Or new from B&H or Adorama for $1699.
https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/pentax-k-3-mark-iii-black-refurbished/
05-04-2022, 07:52 AM   #22
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I see no reason to switch brands - the K-3iii has proven its focusing in photos I’ve seen, and I really doubt if one would spend less by switching brands.

One would see more by getting a K-1ii, but I doubt that would turn out to be a good choice either.

The only question in my mind is whether waiting would be a good move. A K-90 plus the 55-300mm PLM might be a good choice …. but it also may never happen. I am waiting because I don’t ever expect to spend $1500+ on a camera body, but I’m not sure what I would do if I were willing to spend the money to get camera - I’d probably purchase the K-3iii, but I’ve never been good at answering hypothetical questions.
Because of this discussion, I went back in my closet and retrieved two lenses: a Canon 75-300 {EF mount} I purchased in 1995 when I purchased my Canon Elan film camera, and a Vivitar 70-210 {FD mount} which had been owned by my Mother …. and an adapter for each. I was surprised to see that the EF combo weighs 580g and the FD combo weighs 600g, so I guess I’ll take them along when we go for a multi-day birding expedition my wife has scheduled for next week and give each a try. The Pentax-A 35-105mm that is supposed to arrive tomorrow is listed at 600+g without adapter.

I suppose I could get a Canon M500 and use the EF lens {Canon users say it is one of Canon’s least-good efforts, but I was satisfied with it when I used it} with AF, but having two different types of system rubs me the wrong way.

05-05-2022, 08:07 PM   #23

For astro photography, I think the K-1 and K-3iii are comparable. (I own both and have tested them head-to-head.). The K-1 has the benefit of the articulating screen and built-in GPS for Astrotracer. These two put my old K-5 to shame in low-light. The new cameras have much greater color range in low light.
05-05-2022, 08:21 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Wow- all of your very fine shots and comments zero in on the stated concerns for improvement by the OP in this thread. The design objectives of the K-3 III being for more advanced AF, burst shooting capability, and further advancement in APS-C higher ISO performance, are shown to be quite successful! Especially so with the appropriate lenses.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-05-2022 at 08:42 PM.