Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2022, 01:52 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Si1maron Quote
Also, the K-5 II isn't very cheap currently, so it's way out of my league
Well then, the K-5 (one in great condition) is the one to save for. I got the K20D new at 1/2 price complete with the extra 5 year warranty here in the US many years ago after the then new K-7 came out. According to test reports, the K-7 had new features such as live view, but had not improved in overall image quality or low light high ISO performance. So I was happy with the K20D for some years.

Eventually, I got a similar bargain for a new K-5, then later also the K-5 IIs when the K-3 arrived. But I am apparently much older than you are, and able to purchase more expensive models. The K-5 was a great advancement- much improved performance over the K20D or the K-7. Dynamic range (DR) is much better. Low light/higher ISO performance was much improved, even better than your K-x, which is actually better in this aspect than the K20D or K-7. The K-5 series is still very highly regarded among APS-C DSLR models.

Good luck with your beat-up K-5! At least you are getting it for a very cheap price and you can get an idea of what a great camera it is. I mean, $75 is extremely cheap! You will love its excellent set of controls

Welcome to the forum, and please do keep in touch with us! We'd be interested to know how you are doing with your camera and your photography.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-13-2022 at 02:19 PM.
05-13-2022, 02:46 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Well then, the K-5 (one in great condition) is the one to save for. I got the K20D new at 1/2 price complete with the extra 5 year warranty here in the US many years ago after the then new K-7 came out. According to test reports, the K-7 had new features such as live view, but had not improved in overall image quality or low light high ISO performance. So I was happy with the K20D for some years.

Eventually, I got a similar bargain for a new K-5, then later also the K-5 IIs when the K-3 arrived. But I am apparently much older than you are, and able to purchase more expensive models. The K-5 was a great advancement- much improved performance over the K20D or the K-7. Dynamic range (DR) is much better. Low light/higher ISO performance was much improved, even better than your K-x, which is actually better in this aspect than the K20D or K-7. The K-5 series is still very highly regarded among APS-C DSLR models.

Good luck with your beat-up K-5! At least you are getting it for a very cheap price and you can get an idea of what a great camera it is. I mean, $75 is extremely cheap! You will love its excellent set of controls

Welcome to the forum, and please do keep in touch with us! We'd be interested to know how you are doing with your camera and your photography.
thanks! I hope to finish the job asap so i can call the seller at monday and go look at that camera.
Already had sad time with one specific flea market in moscow here. "This guy doesn't like Pentax, he'll gladly give a discoount"

yeah, like that happened. I asked if I can trade-in my K-x to get a discount on the K-7, and he said he'll cut 15 bucks, even if on avito(ebay but russian) it is being sold for no less than 75. And boy oh boy was i dissapointed in that k7, good thing i didn't have th money. dusty as hell, card reader working badly, the built-in flash required going through settings few times.
saddest part is that he is the only damn photography shop at that market.

So, i guess, i'll better go with k-5 which taken a beating but at least it's owner was not letting it collect dust and sit on the shelf, especially since it still works
05-13-2022, 03:49 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After trading off your K-x, you might have also been disappointed in the K-7's higher ISO performance. But you won't have that happen with the K-5! About 12 years ago, I had my K20D (similar in performance as the K-7, and both professional-grade built cameras) and also the K-r as my more lightweight model. The K-r is very much the same camera as the K-x, but with some good upgrades. I found it was better for higher ISO than my professional-grade built K20D! So I used it instead for photographing a college graduation of two young friends, in a building and lighting conditions where I would need to increase ISO to around 1600 or more at times. It was a bit strange, using a very expensive pro-grade lens on such a camera, but the resulting photos turned out very well.

I did not yet have the K-5, which would have been even better.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-13-2022 at 04:04 PM.
05-20-2022, 02:33 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For USD75, it could be worth it - but only if it still works 100%.

05-20-2022, 08:12 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Si1maron Quote
So, I own a K-x and lately, I've been not satisfied with my flash sync speed issues, which surprised everyone in the service centre. So, I decided that I want to change body. There is a K-5 which costs like my K-x, but I won't have any money for it in nearby future. This K-5 has troubles: crack on the viewfinder(covered with magnifying cover), bayonet release button is lost(i have a friend with 3d printer, so I doubt it's a problem) and the mode wheel occasionally won't turn, or turns not very easily. Aside from that, it works perfectly and has only 50k shutters. Should I trade my K-x with it's flash sync toruble for a better, but little battered K-5?

I won't be able to save any money in nearby future, sadly.
The first few runs of K5 had a host of problems. The one you are looking at has the very common button falling off problem, which isn't solvable with a new button as it's a design fault in the camera. You have also noted the mode wheel problem, which can also manifest as the wheel turning but not actually doing anything useful, like changing a setting.
In addition, the early K5s had problems with accurate auto focussing, and the sensors would develop spots on the inside cover glass that could only be solved by replacing the entire sensor assembly. This wasn't necessarily a Hoya QC problem as the entire assembly was supplied by Sony, but it was still an issue with the camera.
I suspect, given what you are seeing in the camera you are looking at that it is an early run camera as eventually Hoya did sort of most of the issues.
If you want to see what you might be getting into, go to the K5 specific forum and start looking at the really early threads from when it was first released in 2010.
For myself, there isn't a barge pole long enough for me to risk my money on a K5. Look at a K5II instead. They are Ricoh built, and they put adults in the room, something Hoya didn't bother doing.
01-23-2023, 04:59 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
75 USD for a K5 that makes pictures is ok. Is it the original pentax magnifying cover? because that costs 30-40 USD. The magnifying cover is a very good combination with the K5.