Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2022, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Should I go for worn, but fully working K5?

So, I own a K-x and lately, I've been not satisfied with my flash sync speed issues, which surprised everyone in the service centre. So, I decided that I want to change body. There is a K-5 which costs like my K-x, but I won't have any money for it in nearby future. This K-5 has troubles: crack on the viewfinder(covered with magnifying cover), bayonet release button is lost(i have a friend with 3d printer, so I doubt it's a problem) and the mode wheel occasionally won't turn, or turns not very easily. Aside from that, it works perfectly and has only 50k shutters. Should I trade my K-x with it's flash sync toruble for a better, but little battered K-5?

I won't be able to save any money in nearby future, sadly.

05-11-2022, 11:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The viewfinder crack would bother me all the time. Maybe if you use live view a lot, it would be OK. A less-battered K-5 would be a big upgrade. The viewfinder, rear screen resolution, high-ISO performance and resolution are better. The K-5 has two e-dials, WR, a wired remote socket, a PC terminal for flash, better ultrasonic cleaning for the sensor, better construction, better battery, more controls, better metering, better AF... That's just the upgrades I can think of right now.

A K-7 might be a cheap option. It has many of the K-5 features but is missing the high-ISO performance. I think 1600 is OK, more than that gets bad fast, and the maximum is only 6400 anyway.
05-11-2022, 11:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The viewfinder crack would bother me all the time. Maybe if you use live view a lot, it would be OK. A less-battered K-5 would be a big upgrade. The viewfinder, rear screen resolution, high-ISO performance and resolution are better. The K-5 has two e-dials, WR, a wired remote socket, a PC terminal for flash, better ultrasonic cleaning for the sensor, better construction, better battery, more controls, better metering, better AF... That's just the upgrades I can think of right now.

A K-7 might be a cheap option. It has many of the K-5 features but is missing the high-ISO performance. I think 1600 is OK, more than that gets bad fast, and the maximum is only 6400 anyway.

Well, the viewfinder is covered by a magnifying cap, so my eyes are safe. K-7, sadly, usually costs as much as a K-5 in Russian s/h market. So, If I'm able to come up with solution to the viewfinder problem, it's a good bargain, I guess?
05-11-2022, 12:40 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the K-5 is the best of the Pentax APSC DSLR's, if huge image resolution and fast AF are not required (although I don't use AF on my Pentax dslr's so this comment is based on what I read). Maybe you can leave the mode in M (or A) and then not worry about whether it will always be workable. So yes it sounds like a good deal--but in your situation I would ask myself (yourself):**
-- Is the money outlay consistent with the risk?
-- If it stops working soon after I got it, will I have lost too much money?
_____
** Rereading I gather it is a swap: so if the K-5 does end up not working, will you be able to purchase another camera as good as the K-x. If not then No, if Yes then yes!

05-11-2022, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #5

sounds like it was dropped pretty hard, and not well cared for, cracked viewfinder glass and missing buttons, sticky mode wheel, I would not consider buying a camera with this kind of damage, unless its for next to nothing. this is just my opinion but the view finder is pretty important, the whole point of getting a dslr now days is the optical viewfinder.
there is also the question of what else is wrong with it, if after a drop or impact strong enough to crack the viewfinder glass, are the alignment with the viewfinder/af detector/image sensor still good?
05-11-2022, 03:24 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

No you should not. It is not a camera that works perfectly and a cracked viewfinder glass, a missing button and a mode wheel that does not work properly are all signs of a camera in serious problems. As you are not able to save money in the near future for a better one, you would feel cheated if the camera stopped working soon after you traded in your perfectly working K-X, apart from sync trouble with the flash. As I read it you are changing a good camera for one that is worse than what you have got.
05-11-2022, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
No you should not. It is not a camera that works perfectly and a cracked viewfinder glass, a missing button and a mode wheel that does not work properly are all signs of a camera in serious problems. As you are not able to save money in the near future for a better one, you would feel cheated if the camera stopped working soon after you traded in your perfectly working K-X, apart from sync trouble with the flash. As I read it you are changing a good camera for one that is worse than what you have got.
My thoughts exactly. ^^^ Save money for a good K-5 in the not so near future. Who knows, a perfect one might show up at a reasonable cost. A banged up or high shutter count used camera is never a good investment.

The K-5 is a huge upgrade over the K-x.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-11-2022 at 04:11 PM.
05-11-2022, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-x is a good little camera (I have one) but the K-5 is an excellent, larger camera - it was the flagship of its time.

Well worth waiting longer to get a decent example of one. If you can get a IIs version, so much the better!

Last edited by clackers; 05-11-2022 at 05:04 PM.
05-11-2022, 04:35 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with the others. Something else to consider is your lack of ability to save up for anything better. If I'm reading that right, it sounds like money tight for you, and you would be better keeping that money in an emergency fund. If you bought the camera and your car broke down the next day, would this purchase be what makes or breaks your ability to repair the car? If so, then the answer is no, because Murphy will always come knocking at the worst times.

If you still decide to get it, I would only do it if they'll sell it for a song. Not even a dance to go with it. Dirt cheap, and at an amount you're willing to sacrifice if it were to die all together in a week. Getting it cheap enough may make it worth it as a fixer upper for someone willing to open it up, replace broken parts, and do some cleaning.
05-11-2022, 06:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That K-5 sounds ready to die at any time, if you are not getting it for totally free, stay away. You can do better
05-11-2022, 07:05 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If you can get a IIs version, so much the better!
I agree. I know, as I have one and still like it a lot, even though I have other more current models.
05-12-2022, 02:26 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Sounds to me like that K5 is on it's last legs after a life of mistreatment. I wouldn't buy it.
05-12-2022, 06:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

That K-5 sounds too beaten up. Cracked viewfinder suggests a very hard impact. Maybe it was dropped onto concrete or tile, maybe it was banged around inside the wrong type of storage case, maybe someone opened the camera to try fixing the mode wheel and horribly mishandled the reassembly.

I would only risk buying that if I personally knew and trusted the seller to tell me when and how the 3 problems occurred. If the mode wheel has been slowly getting worse avoid that camera, since the dial will keep getting worse. If the dial problem came on all at once a long time ago, perhaps at the same time as the viewfinder cracked, and has been stable since it might be worth the risk depending on the asking price. The price would have to be very low for me to gamble on it.
05-12-2022, 07:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Also bear in mind that the K5 II was considered to be a significant upgrade to the K5 when it came out. I would hold out for a K5 II in good shape. They are all quite old and spares for repair could be hard to find. If you get one with issues, it could end in tears.
05-13-2022, 01:21 PM   #15

Original Poster
Well, that K-5 is 75 usd, or 5000 roubles here in Moscow, and for that price, it's got 55k shutters. I changed my mind after talking to my mother and decided to pick it up as a second dslr, so in case of it being, well, faulty, I'll be at least able to sell it for parts while saving for something even better. Currently, it's a choice for my budget, which isn't very big. I do hope to get smth better later, but currently I'm trying to grab a better camera for cheap cost. In case of anything, i'll go for a k20d, but currentlly, I'm not losing that much on this k-5, and I'm gonna talk with seller and test the camera before making the final decision. Waiting for the paycheck and hoping for better, since seller claims that aside from that stuff, camera has been working properly.
Also, the K-5 II isn't very cheap currently, so it's way out of my league.