Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2008, 10:39 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Think back to your manual focus days -

I am guessing that if you were getting plenty of successful shots of faster moving action -
it's because you Pre-Focussed your lens and waited for the right shot -
so that the only delay was the shutter lag.
I'll bet you did not wait to focus the lens only when you saw the shot.
I'm also going to guess that the MF was easier on the MX than on the K10D. And I'll also suggest the possibility that the pixel-peeping possibilities digital have caused us to become *far* more sensitive to slight focus issues, motion blur, and so forth than we were when for the most part we were judging our results based on 4x6 prints.

12-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
With age comes experience - that often counts more than fast reactions.
-

I am guessing that if you were getting plenty of successful shots of faster moving action -
it's because you Pre-Focussed your lens and waited for the right shot -
so that the only delay was the shutter lag.
I'll bet you did not wait to focus the lens only when you saw the shot.

Auto-Focus is WAY faster than we can focus manually.
I think you're right, Vincent. Indeed, it was a completely different process then, really. Manual focus, manual metering and manual film advance. I think we developed - as you suggest - more anticipatory techniques in those days, I need to revive them.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'm also going to guess that the MF was easier on the MX than on the K10D. And I'll also suggest the possibility that the pixel-peeping possibilities digital have caused us to become *far* more sensitive to slight focus issues, motion blur, and so forth than we were when for the most part we were judging our results based on 4x6 prints.
I agree on both counts, Marc. Also, my foggy recollections of success rate may be rosy.

Jer
12-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
This is probably right -
but with the smaller than full-frame sensors and shorter focal length lenses - the depth of field is greater for any equivalent angle -
most pre-focussing is done mostly with depth of field making up for lack of precise focus -
and with most true action shots focus is never precise - since the subject is moving and even with the fastest AF in the world we are still talking about 0.3 secs -
which at 60mph (cars) is a movement of 26+ feet! -
so pre-focus and anticipation is required -
hence experience > fast reaction + faster AF??