Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Camera in the cold

I'm taking my new K200D and its lenses with me to Afghanistan for work for two weeks in January. Its going to be cold. Very, very cold, but on the plus side, very very dry too. What considerations do I need to take when:
1. I'm using my camera inside and outside (condensation, freezing, etc)?
2. Battery life and storage?
3. There will be some more extreme conditons potientally encountered (meant in terms of weather), what else should I be worrying about?

My film SLR never had any problems, but I used it on the heated plains of Africa, this is my first time going cold with an SLR, and first trip ever with my DSLR, so any advice will be handy.

Thanks,
Oren

12-16-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Be careful. In Afghanistan they have a different view on shooting.

They mean shooting with bullets. Instead of pictures. That's what I know about Afghanistan.
12-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Take a look at this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/43930-pentax-k10d-space-ii.html

Keep your battery warm is all I'd recommend. If you don't have a weather sealed lens, well the first time that K10D went into space it was using the kit 18-55mm and it came back down unharmed. If condensation is a problem, try to find an intermediate (not cold/not humind & warm) space you can warm the camera up with. Inside one's coat works surprisingly well.

Post pics from your trip when you get back!
12-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The primary things to worry about in general are the batteries, (keep extras inside your clothing, close to your body.) A grip with some in there may be helpful, (probably nice when wearing gloves, anyway)

Also try to avoid the condensation you can get when bringing a camera in from the cold to to warmer air inside, (like cold glasses fogging up) That you can pretty much handle by just putting the camera in a bag before going in: it'll warm up more slowly...

No idea whether the K200 is a great choice for the cold, mostly cause of the matter of running on AA's (One reason I would have chosen a K10d over a K200 is the lousy cold performance of NIMHes, but then again, the cold place I could be moving back to isn't short of wall outlets, either. )

I'd prescribe an all-mechanical film backup.

12-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Since you are using AA batteries in the k200d, I recommend that you use Lithium batteries. They are designed to work down to -40F and up to 140F. For all of our radio and GPS tracking gear on the ASTRO high-altitude balloon flights we use Energizer Lithium L91 and L92:

Lithium Batteries - Lithium Battery Sizes AA & AAA. Energizer.com

They also last a lot longer than rechargeable NiMH, and they don't self-discharge. They can sit in your camera for 15 years unused, and will still work.

Here is the spec sheet:
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf

Get yourself some of these, and you won't have to worry about batteries at all.

Be safe on your trip.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 12-16-2008 at 09:06 AM.
12-16-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by oatman911 Quote
I'm taking my new K200D and its lenses with me to Afghanistan for work for two weeks in January. Its going to be cold. Very, very cold, but on the plus side, very very dry too. What considerations do I need to take when:
3. There will be some more extreme conditons potientally encountered (meant in terms of weather), what else should I be worrying about?

My film SLR never had any problems, but I used it on the heated plains of Africa, this is my first time going cold with an SLR, and first trip ever with my DSLR, so any advice will be handy.

Thanks,
Oren
I never been there, but this I know: the region is a major source for atmospheric dust particles, even on global scale. Keeping equipment dust free is probably really difficult.
12-16-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by oatman911 Quote

Thanks,
Oren
Aside from all the great recommendations, I have a few suggestions based on experience in this sort of climate.

- Afghanistan is mostly a dry environment but you should still acclimatize
your equipment going both ways.

- I highly recommend bringing a manual film camera, lots of film (because
Afghanistan is beautiful!) and lead film bags with you. The chances of
your digital camera failing are fairly high; sorry to say but I hope I am wrong.

- You might want to look into external battery packs but the lithium batteries
(as recommended by PentaxPoke) are probably good enough.

Good luck and stay safe!
12-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pretty interesting article on the Ritz website regarding cold weather shooting/issues.

How to Use Your Camera in Cold Weather

Most of these things have been covered by the previous postings, but there's some other unique stuff like the freezing point of tripod lubes (hope it doesn't get THAT cold, but maybe...). But be careful there!

12-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all, this has been very helpful. I'll be bring lots of extra batteries, the lithium cold weather ones, not the rechargable ones. This should be a good trip, I'll have both my DSLR and a waterproof, freeze proof P&S from work, so between the two, I think I should be fine.
12-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

Gloves sound good to me, careful where and what you point it at, local folk can be touchy about all sorts of things.