Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2022, 11:06 AM - 8 Likes   #1

Why We All Shoot With It - The Pentax K1 (Nightaxians YouTube Podcast)

This is a fun informative episode, whether a Pentaxian or not. We delve into why we use this incredible and surprisingly affordable camera.

Why We All Shoot With It - The Pentax K1

05-18-2022, 01:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the radio telescopes! Those must be elements of the CARMA system, now parked at OVRO, rather than up in the mountains to the east.

AstroDave - retired radio astronomer (who was a grad student at Caltech, who runs OVRO - Owens Vallery Radio Astronomy Observatory)
05-18-2022, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shared this video on my personal photography page. It's a great summary of why anyone should consider Pentax.
05-18-2022, 02:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic photos Ken! My favorite too was the first, but the last tugged at the heart strings pretty hard. You are greatly skilled.

05-18-2022, 03:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Wonderful shots!

Indeed, shooting low light scenes is an advantage for which I enjoy my K-1 II, as well as the FOV I get with many FF lenses. The FA HD 35mm f/2 comes to mind, as does the FA HD 43mm f/1.9 Limited. Using these on my K-1 II brings advantages of which I find no equal in APS-C use.
05-18-2022, 05:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another very good and interesting episode. I can't help but think that this episode would spark the interest of many night photographers. Excellent discussion of the features and uses of the Pentax K-1. At some point, I may get one. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to listen in on your thoughtful discussions.
05-18-2022, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Love the radio telescopes! Those must be elements of the CARMA system, now parked at OVRO, rather than up in the mountains to the east.

AstroDave - retired radio astronomer (who was a grad student at Caltech, who runs OVRO - Owens Vallery Radio Astronomy Observatory)
Hmmmm....I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing you would. I have photographed CARMA before, and yes, this is OVRO. I love these radio telescopes and thankfully have permission to photograph them.

---------- Post added 05-18-22 at 06:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I shared this video on my personal photography page. It's a great summary of why anyone should consider Pentax.
Mooncatt. Great name. Thank you very much! We definitely had fun discussing it, and felt that we were past due at doing a show telling why each of us began photographing with Pentax when we could have chosen most anything within reason. I feel like if people only knew how great the camera is, more people might choose it.

---------- Post added 05-18-22 at 07:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Fantastic photos Ken! My favorite too was the first, but the last tugged at the heart strings pretty hard. You are greatly skilled.
Thank you! I really photograph from a place of emotion and often need to really feel what I am doing to be effective. I would guess a lot of photographers are like this. I was gobsmacked, utterly gobsmacked, by the sight of Comet NEOWISE through those radio telescopes. I just stood and stared at it for quite some time and was filled with awe. Anyway, thanks. I hope you liked the show too. I mean, you being a Pentaxian and all...

---------- Post added 05-18-22 at 07:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Wonderful shots!

Indeed, shooting low light scenes is an advantage for which I enjoy my K-1 II, as well as the FOV I get with many FF lenses. The FA HD 35mm f/2 comes to mind, as does the FA HD 43mm f/1.9 Limited. Using these on my K-1 II brings advantages of which I find no equal in APS-C use.
And probably still few equals with its sensor size (full frame, 35mm, whatever you want to call it) even despite its age. Speaking of which....isn't Pentax woefully overdue with the K-1 Mk III? I absolutely love this camera.

I have been photographing with Nikon since 1999. It took a lot to get me to switch as I was quite happy with my Nikon D750 and 14-24mm lens and fisheye and so forth. But the Pentax was too good to stay away.That's how great of a camera it is. I still use the D750, as I strongly prefer to have two cameras when out in the field for various reasons. But I really love the K-1.

---------- Post added 05-18-22 at 07:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Another very good and interesting episode. I can't help but think that this episode would spark the interest of many night photographers. Excellent discussion of the features and uses of the Pentax K-1. At some point, I may get one. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to listen in on your thoughtful discussions.
You're very welcome. We are hoping to get more people interested in both night photography and Pentax. I think of it this way. When I began learning night photography around 2012, 2013, people were super kind to me. I learned so much from Facebook groups, videos, blogs, articles, books and more. I feel like I need to pay it forward. But the other thing is that night photography and light painting has brought me so much joy. During stressful times especially, going out to the desert, hanging outside in the fresh night air and creating has brought me peace and happiness in a way that I never could have imagined. Hopefully we impart this sort of joy in giving back to the photographic community and just having FUN discussing things. Hopefully it helps others.

05-18-2022, 08:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow - absolutely amazing shots, and a great video. Really enjoyed it. Have never done star photography, but this looked really cool. And you certainly sold the K-1 which I so far have been resisting..... Sigh....
05-18-2022, 11:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More great images and another entertaining video. I'm getting new ideas with all your videos. I tried the ProtoMachines LED website. They seem pretty pricey, plus out of stock.

I'll keep my fingers cross for 1) back in stock and 2) a power spending spree to overcome me, plus 3) maybe some new models?! What the heck! That's a whole new kind of gear for my syndrome.
05-19-2022, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
Wow - absolutely amazing shots, and a great video. Really enjoyed it. Have never done star photography, but this looked really cool. And you certainly sold the K-1 which I so far have been resisting..... Sigh....
I've heard that resistance is futile...

So glad you enjoyed the video and enjoy the photography. I'd like to think that even if someone doesn't do night photography or even own a Pentax K-1, it would be interesting. Anyway, who knows, maybe a K-1 is in the future for you?

We love love love night photography. It's one of those things where when I began doing it, I thought, "Yes!!! This is what I should be doing! This feels right!"

A word of warning, though. Especially if you do night photography with light painting, you may find it highly addictive. Hours go by like minutes....

---------- Post added 05-19-22 at 01:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
More great images and another entertaining video. I'm getting new ideas with all your videos. I tried the ProtoMachines LED website. They seem pretty pricey, plus out of stock.

I'll keep my fingers cross for 1) back in stock and 2) a power spending spree to overcome me, plus 3) maybe some new models?! What the heck! That's a whole new kind of gear for my syndrome.
Hey, thanks, so glad you like the video! I'm so glad you are getting ideas. That's sort of the, well, idea!

The ProtoMachines are expensive, and they are usually out of stock. If you are even remotely interested in it, get on their emailing list (and you can tell them that you were referred by me, although I'm not sure what that's going to get you, but I am friendly with 'em). You can use either LED flashlights with gels or use LED panels such as the Luxli Viola that also allow you to change up the RGB colors and achieve a lot of this light painting. And if you are not so into color, simply get an LED flashlight or three and start light painting. I do a lot of light painting where I am simply using a warm white light.

Thanks again!
05-19-2022, 01:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Lee Quote
I've heard that resistance is futile...

So glad you enjoyed the video and enjoy the photography. I'd like to think that even if someone doesn't do night photography or even own a Pentax K-1, it would be interesting. Anyway, who knows, maybe a K-1 is in the future for you?

We love love love night photography. It's one of those things where when I began doing it, I thought, "Yes!!! This is what I should be doing! This feels right!"

A word of warning, though. Especially if you do night photography with light painting, you may find it highly addictive. Hours go by like minutes....[COLOR="Silver"]
I had actually almost convinced myself I should just stick with Pentax ASPC (vs Fuji ASPC, Sonly FF, and Pentax FF) - but now I am rapidly going down the hole of mixing FF (K-1) and my ASPC. I guess I can stick with ASPC for now. But boy - do I feel sick. BAD case of GAS
05-19-2022, 02:14 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Lee Quote
A word of warning, though. Especially if you do night photography with light painting, you may find it highly addictive. Hours go by like minutes....
Can confirm. Lol
05-21-2022, 04:21 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Ken, how are you !

May I suggest you go have a look at the "Pentax Medium Format" section on this Pentax Forum. Contributor Ed Hurst from Sydney, Australia, posts remarkable night images that might be interesting for you to see. He uses a Pentax 645Z and a Fuji GFX100S with an assortment of Pentax 67 and Pentax 645 lenses.

Best Regards
05-24-2022, 09:08 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
I had actually almost convinced myself I should just stick with Pentax ASPC (vs Fuji ASPC, Sonly FF, and Pentax FF) - but now I am rapidly going down the hole of mixing FF (K-1) and my ASPC. I guess I can stick with ASPC for now. But boy - do I feel sick. BAD case of GAS
Haha! Oh noooooooo!!!

For a few years, I photographed with an APS-C, then kept that while adding FF. I kept doing that for about four years before replacing the APS-C with another FF.

My understanding is that APS-C sensors are considerably better than before, and there's less of a reason to switch to FF than before.

---------- Post added 05-24-22 at 09:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Can confirm. Lol
I love that feeling, completely immersed and in the moment.

---------- Post added 05-24-22 at 09:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Hello Ken, how are you !

May I suggest you go have a look at the "Pentax Medium Format" section on this Pentax Forum. Contributor Ed Hurst from Sydney, Australia, posts remarkable night images that might be interesting for you to see. He uses a Pentax 645Z and a Fuji GFX100S with an assortment of Pentax 67 and Pentax 645 lenses.

Best Regards
Okay, thanks for the tip! I will have a look there, and also check out Ed's photos.

Exhausted. Been doing several days of digging, hauling, sawing, drilling, and so forth, but otherwise, doing well. At least the backyard project is being done the way I want it.