Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
Good point about going from a K1000 to a DSLR. With my SLR (I only had one) I attached a lens, set exposure and aperture, and simply took pictures. When I moved up to a K100D with the same manual lenses there were a dozen or more options I had to think about before the camera worked as expected. I still have a problem remembering to set those options I use back to "normal" at the end of a session. If I don't, the next time out I lose a bunch of shots before discovering why the displayed photos don't look right.

With Power comes Responsibilities.
And I exercise my responsibility by never messing with anything I wouldn't also have messed with on a K1000 - aperture, shutter speed, and ISO are the only settings I generally ever touch. Everything else stays right where I set it the day I got my camera.

12-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
And I exercise my responsibility by never messing with anything I wouldn't also have messed with on a K1000 - aperture, shutter speed, and ISO are the only settings I generally ever touch. Everything else stays right where I set it the day I got my camera.
Marc, are you serious? You sound like someone who uses a camera enough to have to change some options. Sure, there are many exotic options I don't use either but...

I'd say almost everyone uses at least a couple of these common options.

Use Aperture Ring - For manual lenses from a K1000
Noise reduction off - needed for long exposure with fats cycles - especially fireworks.
Spot focus - photographing a bird in a tree with branches in foreground/background
Shake reduction - off for tripods.
Auto Focus - for any manual lens, for focusing when AF won't do.
Selecting JPG vs RAW. - Well, I suppose some people never switch.
Auto Power Off time - Needed for things like waiting for a bird to arrive.
Sensor cleaning - I need this one often.
2 second delay - used to lock mirror up in critical tripod situations.

Our first DSLR was an istD I gave my wife, who had all manual lenses. It wouldn't function until I found the first option in the list!

Judging on the number of people on the forum who ask questions that require an option to solve many people can't survive with only aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 12-22-2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: fixed typos
12-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Where are the Pentax marketing and product development guys, not to mention the fanboys on DRP?

This ladies and gentleman, isd a real live customer, not a serial photography hobbiest. This is what I mean when I say the cameras are unrefined.

Sue I will hazard a guess and say the camera is trying to lock focus but cannot because the light is low and the Pentax AF system is the equivilent of the horse and buggy in transportation terms.

To try and solve your issue ........

1) Make sure batteries are fully charged

2) use Eneloop type batteries

3) Turn off the AF mode that selects the AF point automatically and switch to centre point only or manual selction if you're comfortable flicking the red dots around with your thumb.

5) Check that you have the camera set to AF, as in the manual switch on the left of the camera (not a menu option)

6) When composing make sure the red dot on your viewfinder is lined up against contrast, not a blank white or black area ... it detects AF by finding contrasty edges.

7) Curse and swear

8) the out of focus images are likely camera shake, turn on shake reduction and make sure your shutter speed for inaninmate objects is 1/ focal length (so at 50mm your shutter speed MUST be over 1/50th second), this is the basic rule of thumb for all photography. IF your subject is moving, that speed needs to increase to 1/250th at least.
12-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
Marc, are you serious? You sound like someone who uses a camera enough to have to change some options. Sure, there are many exotic options I don't use either but...
Note I said I don't change them from where *I* set them the day I got the camera, not that I didn't change them from the factory defaults. I customized quite a lot, but I did it once, based mostly on my experience with my DS and the fact that I shoot RAW so image parameters are mostly irrelevant.

In particular:

Use Aperture Ring: sure, that's the first thing I set after the date and setting RAW

Noise Reduction (slow shutter): yeah, I've got mine turned off, because I don't shoot long exposures often enough to care about the noise

Shake reduction: OK, yes, I turn that off when necessary, and have to remember to turn it back on.

2-second timer: yeah, you got my there too. that is something else I have forgotten to rest when done.

JPEG versus RAW: I never leave RAW

Auto Power Off time: I never messed with this one. I just half-press the shutter every so often to make sure the camera is awake when I want it.

QuoteQuote:
Spot focus - photographing a bird in a tree with branches in foreground/background
Not sure what you mean by "spot focus". I have center point set all the time. If the scene is complex enough that I can't be sure the camera will focus on the thing I want - as would be the case here - I hit the OK button (which I had previously customized to cancel AF) and focus manually.

When mounting a MF lens, I sometimes move the switch to MF, but often leave it in the AF position and use the OK button as necessary to cancel the feature where it will only fire if in focus. But if I leave the lens on long enough, eventually I'll usually move the switch to MF. And so yes, that is another thing I might change then have to remember to change back later.

QuoteQuote:
Judging on the number of people on the forum who ask questions that require an option to solve many people can't survive with only aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.
I don't know - it still seems most of these are of the set-in-once-and-be-done type. In particualr, I don't see the point of constantly switching from center focus point mode to auto select to user select, or from spot meter to center weighted to multi-segment, or from RAW to JPEG, or messing with WB all the time, or changing saturation or sharpness from shot to shot, or most of the zillions of settings that exist.

But it is true, the AF button, SR button, and shooting mode (single versus timer) are exceptions I glossed over.