Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Having owned an E-500, the noise issue wasn't even an issue. I used it at 1,050 ISO and it was unnoticeable on 4X6" prints. The focusing was slow and unpredictable, and the colors were really dull. Dust reduction worked every well but I like I said, it lacked picture quality. Happily sold it and lost $30 from my sale, and also sold the P&S Olympus 710 shortly after since I promised myself I would not own another Olympus product. Considering it was my first SLR camera I quickly out learned it in less than 3 months I had it. Very easy and basic camera. Another good thing was the telephoto lens which was 40-150mm F3.5, but no other affordable lens options.

03-16-2007, 01:48 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good points

QuoteOriginally posted by awjweb Quote
My first digital camera was an Oly C3030Z (3 megapixel). My wife gave it to me for my 40th birthday in yr. 2000. This was when all the "purists" thought digital was an inferior fad that would never seriously compete with film. It cost her nearly $1500 after including rechargable batteries, media card, power cord, camera bag, etc. She knew I wanted something beyond a simple digital P&S (e.g Casio 1 megapixel). I already had a Pentax ZX-7 SLR and a few FA lenses for it. I didn't want to go "instamatic" just for a digital camera so she told the guy at the camera store that I needed something under $10,000,000,000 that I could have full manual control over. He recommended the Oly because there was literally nothing like it at the time. The Oly CxxxxZ series were very much like dslrs but without interchangebale lenses or optical viewfinders. They had auto/program modes (just like dlsrs) but also had manual/aperature/and shutter priorty modes, ISO control, WB control, etc. My old C3030z (and newer C5050z) have almost every control feature that my istDS has.

I bought a Pentax istDS a couple of years ago because I desperately wanted interchangeable lenses and an optical view finder. I already had the lenses from my old ZX-7 so the choice was simple.

I am a Pentax fan because I love the Pentax *system*. But.... All the nitpicking over minor details of one brand or model over another in terms of image quality make me laugh. I'm a pretty picky and detail oriented person but I defy anyone to be able to accurately identify which camera (Oly Cxxxz P&S vs. Pentax dslr) was used for a given 8x10 print. I have thousands of images from both camera manufactures and I can say from experience that the only thing that matters is which camera you prefer to use.

The differences in image quality have FAR more to do with who created the image then which camera was used to create it. Concerns over things like sensor noise, etc. are so trivial as to be meaningless. When people talk to me about how great their equipment is I always ask: "Let's see your pictures" -- because that's all that matters
My first digital was an Oly C-720 and it was superb. Near perfect exposures and white balance every time. I got some great pics with it, years later bought a DS and gave the Oly to my wife, she loved it, but wanted a smaller camera so I got her a PanyTZ1( not near as good as the Oly IMO). I have an older friend that was a film shooter years ago, and was interested in my digital cameras, so I gave him the Oly and all the gear for it, including a nice wide angle lens and bag. He is using it now, and loves it so much he is going to buy his first computer so he can work the images. Oly makes some great cameras, but there is one more factor than makes them shine in my book. Service! Oly has real honest to goodness service with live people that know what they are doing. You would have to use it to understand how good it is. I think they really care, unbelievable!
03-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do know from past reviews that until now Olympus DSLR's have had more high ISO noise that most others

cheers

randy
03-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Funny how some people love their Olympus P&Ss - obviously the higher-specced ones are much better.

I had an Olympus Stylus 410/u410 and hated it with a passion.

03-16-2007, 09:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by USCdeacon Quote
Does the k10d have serious competition around the corner or do you think the E-510 will give the k10d a good run for it's money?

(Of course we won't know for sure until the usual reviewers/critics get the camera in hand and comment on the specifics, but felt that it'd be fun to ask )
Naah, the Oly is toast compared to the K10, Oly may not look too sick as a company but I'll place my bets on the fact that they're dead in the water with their tiny sensors. Olympus is spending too much money on the "pro" end of things whereas most (but not all) "pros" increasingly want bigger sensors. Where the 2x sensor fits in the "bigger sensor" game, is beyond me; maybe for better telephoto reach, birding etc, but what if you wanted shots above ISO 400?

Oly, IMHO, is making some very illogical choices and decisions when it comes to their direction as a camera/lens manufacturer.

The K10D is something between a Nikon D80 and a D200 and then some. It's a camera that's created it's own category; it's for "the advanced pro amateur." :-P

Cheers,
-Asad
03-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #21

Original Poster
rofl "the advanced pro amateur" - hopefullly I'll be joining that category soon

seems like this topic's been severely exhausted now

thanks for all those who participated

God bless,
jon

//closed
03-17-2007, 12:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Noisewise, if Oly can make faster lenses, which eventually produces the same DoF and a lower ISO can be used, the problem can be resolved mostly, but, unfortunately, they haven't.
They have made some faster lenses (ie the new constant f2.0 zoom) to make up for the DOF difference and the noise difference, but you pay more for them too... I think value for money, lens wise, Pentax has the lead over Oly..

I actually tried out the E300 for a few weeks before I bought the ist DS, and my biggest problem was the viewfinder, it was, well, horrific, for me at least.. I know that doesn't directly affect the end result, but it isn't nice to use..
03-17-2007, 04:18 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery
The two cameras are in different classes. The E510 is a strictly amateur camera, albeit with some nice features. The K10D is a serious camera which offers far greater control, dust sealing and a bigger sensor.

The four thirds sensor used by Olympus is 18x13.5mm whereas the APS-C senor used in the K10D is 23.5x15.7mm. It may not sound like such a big difference but when both are packed with 10MPixels the bigger sensor can collect more light and therefore the image requires less electronic amplification and produces less noise. This also equates to more detail in the shadow areas.

If you are just a 'happy snapper' that wants the flexibility of interchangeable lenses then the E510 will definitely appeal. If, on the other hand, you prefer to have real control of the camera's settings at your fingertips then the K10D is the way to go.

03-17-2007, 04:54 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
I actually tried out the E300 for a few weeks before I bought the ist DS, and my biggest problem was the viewfinder, it was, well, horrific, for me at least.. I know that doesn't directly affect the end result, but it isn't nice to use..
It DOES affect the end result IMO - can't frame as well! And manual focus would be a bitch.

The biggest reason I didn't buy the Canon 400D - the substandard .8x viewfinder (amplified by the 1.6x sensor). It was a huge disappointment after the FD lens mount Canon T70 (20 years old now) mum has.
03-17-2007, 07:20 AM   #25
Forum Member

APS-C vs 4/3rds - K10D vs Olympus

Just my point of view, but I think comparing the K10D with the E-510 is the wrong way to look at the K10D. The better comparison to me is with the Nikon D200/D80 and the Canon 30D.

Those migrating from a P&S to a DSLR my be tempted by the E-510 may be tempted by the size similarity, but going DSLR from 35mm film SLR as I did, the K10D wins hands down.

In fact with 40 years of 35mm experience, the K10D was my pick over the Nikon and Canon's mentioned above. It as the first DSLR that felt "right" in my hands and the customizeable controls, "real" viewfinder pentaprism and sealing were icing on the cake.

I also think the 4/3's sensor will always lag the APS-C and larger sensors in the noise area unless there is some revolutionary breakthrough and even then the APS-C will also benefit and still be better. Besides, 1.5x beats 2x any day in my book. How many 3rd party lenses are available for the 4/3rds format?....a lot less than for the PENTA K mount!

Frankly, given the quality I am getting from the K10D, I don't see any need to speculate about 'what's next". It will take me a couple of years to just lean how to extract the all the quality the K10D has...so why worry....

Last edited by dmdctusa; 03-18-2007 at 12:48 PM.