Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2008, 02:53 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Meanwhile I've been sent the K-m and it is in fact a nice little camera. Yet I'm not totally happy for three reasons:

1. AF control is pretty hard with the only means of control is activate central spot --> press AF key (of shutter half pressed) --> focus the object --> turn the camera to get the desired picture. The first two pictures (/w kit lense) show the difficulty - focus was set to the "set" part of the EOS' menue wheel, the second to the "8,5cm" of the matches box (both at ISO 1600). However - there is no porblem at all when I'm in MF mode as the third picture with my wonderful 1975 bought 55/1:2 proves.

2. ISO 1600 performance (see above, no NR activated) is not too well. Pictures 4 shows ISO 800, picture 5 ISO 400.

3. Optical preview turns out to be a feature that I dearly miss. There are two work arounds both not really satisfying: release the lense and turn it out a bit or exploit the one second of metering in M mode using a lense without A on aperture ring. Is a sensible workaround possible exploiting this behavior?

4. the kitlense rattles and bounces at its extreme part (the AF ring). Plus I assume a slight frontfocus. Now, this can be fixed.

All in all I'm not sure if I keep the Km or should return it for a K100dS. Now the questions:

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
I have experience with both cameras and my advice to you is to go without hesitation towards K-m (the dual kit lens hold tremendous value for your money). Some reasons for that are:

- the 2 and some years that separates the 2 models are visible in all working aspects; K-m is faster in shooting, reviewing pictures, transfer files, AF system, buffer clearing;
How much do these improvements account for? I'm a slow photographer, I very rarely shoot fast moving objects (animals, sports). Less noise, preview and manual focusing matter more for me. Though - of course I don't like a drag - so, is the K100dS really THAT slower in the above mentioned fields?

But better ISO 1600 performance (would the K100dS be really better?), the optical preview and the more exact AF feedback and selection possiblity do count for me. Do they count enough?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-m  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-m  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-m  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-m  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-m  Photo 
12-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marignac Quote
1. AF control is pretty hard with the only means of control is activate central spot --> press AF key (of shutter half pressed) --> focus the object --> turn the camera to get the desired picture.
FWIW, after a couple of years of fighting my camera over which AF point to use in auto-select and a breif experiment with the user-select mode and finding it taking far too long for me to select the proper point or forgetting to make the choice, I eventually settled on using the center-point mode and getting used to it within a week to the point where I 'd hate to be forced to use any other mode. I say, give this one a little time.

QuoteQuote:
The first two pictures (/w kit lense) show the difficulty - focus was set to the "set" part of the EOS' menue wheel, the second to the "8,5cm" of the matches box
I'm guessing the problem is that the actual focus point is far broader than you think. You may have aimed at the "set" button, but I'm guessing the camera saw the dark strap against the light background to the right of that and said, "tis is a much better target, and it's close enough". Happens often enough in real life with just about any AF system, if not always this obviously. But here's where the lack of quick shift on the K-m kit lens really hurts, since a quick fine tune of the focus manually is the normal way to work around this when it happens.

QuoteQuote:
2. ISO 1600 performance (see above, no NR activated) is not too well. Pictures 4 shows ISO 800, picture 5 ISO 400.
Sorry, from the posted pictures at this resolution, it's still hard to say anything about noise. All I can do is repeat what I said before: noise should be virtually identical between the K-m and K100D when viewing images at the same size. I'm assuming you are coming from a camera that applied more aggressive NR in camera, in which case, you're better off with the K-m since it can be made to do that too if you like. I prefer to do my NR in PP where I can have finer control over it - but I also tend to be pretty conervative about it, preferring a little noise to images that have been overly smudged to cover the noise up.

QuoteQuote:
3. Optical preview turns out to be a feature that I dearly miss. There are two work arounds both not really satisfying: release the lense and turn it out a bit or exploit the one second of metering in M mode using a lense without A on aperture ring. Is a sensible workaround possible exploiting this behavior?
Got me, but as I've said before, as someone who uses a lot of manual exposure lenses, this would be the deal-breaker for me with the K-m. It wouldn't be in the running for me because of this alone. If I were in your shoes, the choices would be K200D or K100D, and while I too prefer smaller cameras in general, the K200D is still clearly the better camera for me.
12-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Got me, but as I've said before, as someone who uses a lot of manual exposure lenses, this would be the deal-breaker for me with the K-m. It wouldn't be in the running for me because of this alone. If I were in your shoes, the choices would be K200D or K100D, and while I too prefer smaller cameras in general, the K200D is still clearly the better camera for me.
After all I've read so far this take sums it up. Thank you Mark.

In fact I'm pretty lucky since my wife also wants a DSLR. As it is the Km better suits her requirements (shooting fast, no big messing around with keys and menues) but initially she opted for the K200d for its size. Now she compromises on size to get a "fuss-less" and self-explanatory system in taking the Km, I compromize on size and get the features I need for picture composition and choose the K200d.

This should be a well working deal, I hope!