Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2022, 07:11 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
What you are asking if i interpret this correctly is like the old hyper manual on the PZ1
That feature from the Z-1/PZ-1 days is still with us In Manual mode press the AE-L button and change the aperture between shots.... the shutter speed will change too to keep the exposure consistent.

This method does not offer any benefit over Av mode however for what the OP wants to achieve, which is consecutive exposures with varying apertures but the same overall exposure.

I manually "aperture bracket" my exposures all the time, but because I don't stack the shots am quite happy to do so hand held. I can understand if one wants to stack the results, an automated approach is going to yield better results.

05-23-2022, 07:18 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
That feature from the Z-1/PZ-1 days is still with us In Manual mode press the AE-L button and change the aperture between shots.... the shutter speed will change too to keep the exposure consistent...................
The OP is more after an "AUTO" type feature where pushing the shutter release will snap several frames in succession having the varied aperture (same exposure) between them, much like a HDR or exposure-bracketed shot. This series of photos would have varied DOF and bokeh which the user could select from.

This would be a worthwhile feature (don't forget to include the K-1 as well as the K-1 Mark 2), however I think firmware upgrades are often most used to fix bugs that were missed during the primary development of a product and not introduce new features (there are exceptions). I would be somewhat surprised to see Ricoh throw R&D toward this effort for older cameras even though those cameras are capable of such features.
05-23-2022, 07:31 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
The OP is more after an "AUTO" type feature
Yes I know what he is after, and that it appears only the KP and K3 III have this feature.

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I can understand if one wants to stack the results, an automated approach is going to yield better results

My reply was primarily to point out that the Hyper Manual mode on the old film cameras is still present on cameras today
05-23-2022, 08:22 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
The OP is more after an "AUTO" type feature where pushing the shutter release will snap several frames in succession having the varied aperture (same exposure) between them, much like a HDR or exposure-bracketed shot. This series of photos would have varied DOF and bokeh which the user could select from.

This would be a worthwhile feature (don't forget to include the K-1 as well as the K-1 Mark 2), however I think firmware upgrades are often most used to fix bugs that were missed during the primary development of a product and not introduce new features (there are exceptions). I would be somewhat surprised to see Ricoh throw R&D toward this effort for older cameras even though those cameras are capable of such features.
Agreed it hasn't always been this way but it seems more common now for camera manufacturers to add features here and there after release. The K3III is a good example, but Nikon and Canon have been doing the same recently. My guess is newer processors make it easier.

05-23-2022, 09:47 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Can‘t find aperture bracketing on my K-5 V1.16.
I'm sure the K5 had aperture bracketing, I used it. It also had the possibility to auto-focus via PDAF in live view mode (by lowering the mirror, focusing, and raising the mirror again after having locked focus). Are you able to to AF with PDAF in live view with your K-5 V1.16?
You have to open the Pentax K-5 user manual, pages 160 and 161, it's called "Extended Bracketing", and you can bracket White Balance, Saturation, Hue, High-Key Low Key, Contrast, Sharpness...Aperture...

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-23-2022 at 09:54 AM.
05-23-2022, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm sure the K5 had aperture bracketing, I used it. It also had the possibility to auto-focus via PDAF in live view mode (by lowering the mirror, focusing, and raising the mirror again after having locked focus). Are you able to to AF with PDAF in live view with your K-5 V1.16?
You have to open the Pentax K-5 user manual, pages 160 and 161, it's called "Extended Bracketing", and you can bracket White Balance, Saturation, Hue, High-Key Low Key, Contrast, Sharpness...Aperture...
It has exposure bracketing which uses the aperture, but not Aperture Bracketing to the best of my knowledge. That feature is unique to the KP and K3III in the Pentax line, and likely whatever follows.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/380091-how-usef...ml#post4529484

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-23-2022 at 10:23 AM.
05-23-2022, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
From the K-5 Manual, page 160: Shooting while Adjusting Other Settings (Extended Bracketing)

„… You can save pictures with three different levels of White Balance, Saturation, Hue, High/Low Key Adjustment, Contrast and Sharpness. Unlike Exposure Bracketing, three pictures are saved each time the shutter is released. …“

I don‘t read anything of aperture bracketing like we have it on the KP.

05-23-2022, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I don‘t read anything of aperture bracketing like we have it on the KP.
You are right. I sold my K5 in 2013, so the memory of its menus has faded, I confused DoF Bracketing with Extended Bracketing. But I knew the K5 extended bracketing was removed in the Ricoh K-3. Time flies.
05-24-2022, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had no idea that this feature even existed on the KP until I read this thread so I went and did some rummaging around in the menu's and found. What a brilliant idea. I really wish it was one of the options that could be programmed to the function dial (or to one of the dedicated buttons on the body) because I could see myself using it a lot more than some of the other choices.
05-25-2022, 05:13 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
wish it was one of the options that could be programmed to the function dial (or to one of the dedicated buttons on the body)
Or via one of the "user" modes. This unique DOF bracketing feature is especially potentially useful with the KP, as it does not have a dedicated optical DOF lever control for instant viewing, which the K-5 and other flagship models do have. I would also like that switching to optical DOF viewing could be implemented via one of the "user" controls instead of, or in addition to, programming one of the buttons for this use. I prefer using those buttons for their main use, not having to forfeit one use for the other.
05-25-2022, 05:54 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-3 III also has it so I'd expect the feature to stick around:

K-3 III How-to: Aperture Bracketing - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Yay! I waited too long for a KP, so got K-3 III instead.