Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2022, 08:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any cameras that do depth of field bracketing?

I haven't noticed any way in the K-1 to do auto depth of field bracketing, as opposed to exposure bracketing. when shooting closeups of things it would ne really convenient to pick an aperture range and shoot a set of pictures with varying shutter and aperture, so you get all the same exposures, but differing bokeh, without shooting the pictures one at a time, moving the aperture (usually) and letting the camera move the shutter speed.

05-22-2022, 08:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i cannot be 100% sure i be correct on this.

But what i am aware, in the Pentax family of DLSRs, only the KP is equipped with this VERY useful feature / function.

Still baffles me why Pentax did not, from the KP onwards, include it as a standard feature / function.
05-22-2022, 08:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KP has it, if I remember correctly...

EDIT: @termy beat me to it
05-22-2022, 08:52 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3 III also has it so I'd expect the feature to stick around:

K-3 III How-to: Aperture Bracketing - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-22-2022, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish they can add this as a firmware update to the K-1ii.
05-22-2022, 09:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
At least it is in something recent, maybe the non-existent K-1 Mark III will acquire it.
05-22-2022, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I wished the K1 series offered aperture bracketing. My K5 had it, but at the time I didn't have a need for it. Then aperture bracketing was removed in the K3.

Surprisingly, the K1 full frame brings less depth of field for some landscape shots (less depth of field), but Ricoh decided not to include aperture bracketing.
I use my phone with Image Sync so I can manually change the aperture setting without touching / moving the camera (so that I can overlay frames without alignment in post), adds one more complication.

Aperture bracketing can appear inferior to focus-stacking, although it's not necessarily true. Focus-stacking come with "focus-breathing" because the lens optics move at each focus point. Lens optics don't move with aperture bracketing, and it still offers a natural focus gradation while preserving details where details should be.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-23-2022 at 05:07 AM.
05-23-2022, 05:02 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
05-23-2022, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
I'm afraid such firmware change is too much challenge for Ricoh Imaging. We've been requesting electronic shutter since 2016 and it is still not available. The biggest firmware upgrade so far was adding the Satobi color profile, BTW which none of us requested.
05-23-2022, 05:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I need to check my K1 on my K5 bracketing works as follows

Tv mode aperture changes
Av mode shutter speed changes
Tav mode both shutter and aperture shift with iso held

For me I don’t see any other bracketing. What you are asking if i interpret this correctly is like the old hyper manual on the PZ1 .
05-23-2022, 05:47 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm afraid such firmware change is too much challenge for Ricoh Imaging. We've been requesting electronic shutter since 2016 and it is still not available. The biggest firmware upgrade so far was adding the Satobi color profile, BTW which none of us requested.
Obviously not too challenging for Ricoh, biz... Clearly, they can and do make firmware changes. They just don't do it to on a customer request basis... They add what they want to add, what they think will be popular - and as customers, we vote with our wallets

Over the years there have been numerous discussions in these forums about film-style emulations, with folks usually mentioning how good FujiFilm is in this regard. The Satobi profile is a little taste of that for those folks who shoot in-camera JPEG with their late-model Pentax DSLRs, and for those who shoot raw and develop in DCU. Thus far, it seems to be quite popular - so I think Ricoh called it right. It may not be of interest to you and I, but those using it seem to like it

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-23-2022 at 05:53 AM.
05-23-2022, 05:53 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-3 III also has it so I'd expect the feature to stick around:

K-3 III How-to: Aperture Bracketing - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Thanks for the link Adam. Another point for the K3III.
05-23-2022, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Electronic shutter was added to the K3III with a firmware update.

EDIT: didn't realize it, but the K1 had ES enabled via a firmware update too back in 2016, tho not as nicely implemented as on the K3III.

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-23-2022 at 06:04 AM.
05-23-2022, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Electronic shutter was added to the K3III with a firmware update.
KAF4 compatibility was added to several models with a firmware update too
05-23-2022, 06:33 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

…My K5 had it,
Can‘t find aperture bracketing on my K-5 V1.16.