Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2022, 12:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K20D IR conversion

Picked up a K20D for IR conversion! Back when I owned the K20D I loved its form factor and I even used it with the dedicated battery grip. It was a rock-solid performance platform. I made the switch to the K-5 not for the megapixel count (16mp vs 14.6) but for the better high-ISO performance and faster focusing. But I still look back with love to that K20D even now that I'm shooting the awesome KP with its unimaginable ISO performance.

When I saw a K20D on eBay from a reputable German seller (so in the EU and no import tax issues) for Ä129 with less than 10K clicks I just had to have it. I'm planning on having it converted to IR with a dedicated conversion (replacement of the IR/UV glass over the sensor) using a 590nm filter. I just pulled the trigger on eBay yesterday but I haven't been this excited for years! It's going to be a nice game to find out which of my glass is suitable for IR (hotspot issue) and after that I'll have a whole new game to learn. Channel flipping in post-edit and all, it'll give me some challenges I'm sure.

Has anyone tried this on a K20D?

05-25-2022, 06:06 AM   #2

I did have Lifepixel - Infrared Conversions, IR Modifications & Photography Tutorials | Life Pixel IR - convert my k-01 and I’m very happy with it. Contact them to see if they will do a K20D.

Tom
05-25-2022, 07:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thix2112 Quote
I did have Lifepixel - Infrared Conversions, IR Modifications & Photography Tutorials | Life Pixel IR - convert my k-01 and I’m very happy with it. Contact them to see if they will do a K20D.

Tom
Same with my K-01 using Isaac Zabo's services (web site now unavailable) and have been well pleased with the results. You might want to look into an external UV/IR cutoff filter which would allow your camera to be used normally should the need arise (also if you want to capture a 4 band shot - R,G,B,IR). I use mine mostly for straight IR (monochrome) with higher than 700nm filters and you'll appreciate the good IR sensitivity the conversion provides.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164901638716?chn=ps&var=464412556221&_trkparms=ispr...80b6c1022e3ada

Last edited by Bob 256; 05-25-2022 at 07:21 AM.
05-25-2022, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

You could also test which lenses will have hot spots with a R72 filter on your full spectrum DSLR too.

05-25-2022, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #5

Concur with full spectrum conversion.

Concur with Bob 256 - on full spectrum conversion. Lifepixel will do that and you can put different IR filters on to obtain different false color results. I had the Deep IR sensor to create black and white conversions because I like b&w without filters. But full spectrum will give you more flexibility/creativity.

---------- Post added 05-25-22 at 09:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You could also test which lenses will have hot spots with a R72 filter on your full spectrum DSLR too.
I can also attest to the DA 15 limited has no hotspot.

Last edited by thix2112; 05-25-2022 at 08:03 AM.
05-25-2022, 08:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thix2112 Quote
I did have Lifepixel - Infrared Conversions, IR Modifications & Photography Tutorials | Life Pixel IR - convert my k-01 and Iím very happy with it. Contact them to see if they will do a K20D.

Tom
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Same with my K-01 using Isaac Zabo's services (web site now unavailable) and have been well pleased with the results. You might want to look into an external UV/IR cutoff filter which would allow your camera to be used normally should the need arise (also if you want to capture a 4 band shot - R,G,B,IR). I use mine mostly for straight IR (monochrome) with higher than 700nm filters and you'll appreciate the good IR sensitivity the conversion provides.

FOTGA Optical Glass UV?IR Cut Filter Infrared Pass Lens Filter for DSLR Camera | eBay
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks guys but I cannot use any US sellers. Customs charges would kill me

I'll keep to EU-based suppliers. But all the other suggestions were extremely welcome so thanks for that.
05-25-2022, 01:25 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I did conversion of K-30, K-5 and K-r. Nothing special when I look back now. But there were some challenges in 2017 You will get increase in details because Anti-aliasing filter will be removed.
I used 640 nm filter. Personally do not like 590 super color filter. Still can doo a lot of color variations.

05-25-2022, 01:42 PM   #8

nice!!!
05-25-2022, 01:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
I did conversion of K-30, K-5 and K-r. Nothing special when I look back now. But there were some challenges in 2017 You will get increase in details because Anti-aliasing filter will be removed.
I used 640 nm filter. Personally do not like 590 super color filter. Still can doo a lot of color variations.
These are truly lovely! I'm doing the conversion to full spectrum so I can use various lens filters to get a feel and learn what to do and how to get the result I want. I'll start off with a 590nm filter but may try the 640nm if I do not like the results.

I downloaded some raw sample files shot with a 590nm filter and converted them with Darktable. Found some IR LUTs by a guy named Rob Shea who offers them as free download and they fit straight into the 3D LUT module of Darktable. I found it very easy to get a wide variety of color outputs (R/B switch equivalents) just by using the LUTs from the dropdown menu. I should get the hang of this, cannot wait to get started.

My initial thought is to get a 77mm with a 77-72 step-down ring so I can use the Sigma 85mm/f1.4 (the wide-open setting should help with getting a brighter image in the viewfinder) and on the DA16-85mm (for landscape and architecture shots).

Anyone here have any IR experience with either lens? I already know my beloved DA*50-135 does not seem to be the best option because of hotspots.
05-25-2022, 10:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
These are truly lovely! I'm doing the conversion to full spectrum so I can use various lens filters to get a feel and learn what to do and how to get the result I want. I'll start off with a 590nm filter but may try the 640nm if I do not like the results.

I downloaded some raw sample files shot with a 590nm filter and converted them with Darktable. Found some IR LUTs by a guy named Rob Shea who offers them as free download and they fit straight into the 3D LUT module of Darktable. I found it very easy to get a wide variety of color outputs (R/B switch equivalents) just by using the LUTs from the dropdown menu. I should get the hang of this, cannot wait to get started.

My initial thought is to get a 77mm with a 77-72 step-down ring so I can use the Sigma 85mm/f1.4 (the wide-open setting should help with getting a brighter image in the viewfinder) and on the DA16-85mm (for landscape and architecture shots).

Anyone here have any IR experience with either lens? I already know my beloved DA*50-135 does not seem to be the best option because of hotspots.
I do not like the idea of filter on the lens because I use Optical viewfinder to focus and shoot, but not Live view. The latter I use too but more rarely.
07-06-2022, 09:35 AM   #11

I wanted to rebuild my K20 but it was hard to get the rigt parts so the guy I use for repairs could not do it. I got the new low pass filter on eBay byt the repair-guy needed aditional parts to attach the new filter.
07-06-2022, 11:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
I'm a few weeks late to this response, but maybe this helps?
I've got a 590nm-converted K-70.
In this focal range, I've found the FA 77 to be excellent, the Samyang/Rokinon 85mm to be a great performer, but I think my Sigma EX DG 85 has a pretty severe hotspot problem.

Also, the Sigma's got a filter diameter of 77mm and the Samyang has a 72mm, so maybe that's what you had in mind anyway since you were talking about the step-down?

For IR, and at the stupid-cheap price of the Rokinon/Samyang, seems like that's a no-brainer as long as you're happy with manual focus in Live View.